Oops - Can I get into law school?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Umichleclair
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:22 am

Oops - Can I get into law school?

Postby Umichleclair » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:27 am

So I posted this originally in the wrong forum.

Looking for thoughts on whether I have a chance of getting into a decent school.
2.7 GPA (3.5 last two years) from the University of Michigan
168 LSAT
Been out of school for two years. One year working for a University and the other teaching in the Japanese public schools.

Any shot or should I stay in Japan? ha

User avatar
941law
Posts: 425
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:21 am

Re: Oops - Can I get into law school?

Postby 941law » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:40 am

Yes, of course. American University in D.C. just to name one. http://american.lawschoolnumbers.com/st ... Cycle=1112

t14fanboy
Posts: 438
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:51 pm

Re: Oops - Can I get into law school?

Postby t14fanboy » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:54 am

What are your career goals? Can you get in and should you go are 2 very different things. You could easily snag a spot at Washington University in St. Louis along with a host of other midwestern splitter schools, but going there may just saddle you with a mountain of debt and not very many good options.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Oops - Can I get into law school?

Postby bk1 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:57 am

Get a 170+ LSAT and aim for NU.

Umichleclair
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:22 am

Re: Oops - Can I get into law school?

Postby Umichleclair » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:11 am

Thanks a lot to the three of you for your responses. It is really appreciated.

Law is definitely the career for me. While I'm not entirely sure of my short-term career goals with my degree I absolutely want to end up at a University doing legal research into my old age. There is just something beautiful about law.

I may have to take the LSAT again but I will definitely check out American University. Washington is the place to be!

User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: Oops - Can I get into law school?

Postby PDaddy » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:17 am

Umichleclair wrote:Thanks a lot to the three of you for your responses. It is really appreciated.

Law is definitely the career for me. While I'm not entirely sure of my short-term career goals with my degree I absolutely want to end up at a University doing legal research into my old age. There is just something beautiful about law.

I may have to take the LSAT again but I will definitely check out American University. Washington is the place to be!


If you stay in D.C., you'll want to go to GULC, GWU or GMU. Forget American.

User avatar
sunynp
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: Oops - Can I get into law school?

Postby sunynp » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:35 am

Almost anyone can find a law school that will take them. But the question is whether it is worth the cost. American is not worth the cost. People try to talk 0Ls out of going to American because it is an expensive school in the arguably most saturated market. You need to retake and get some work experience in the meantime.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: Oops - Can I get into law school?

Postby stillwater » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:37 am

If you aren't particularly partial to DC, you could check out WUSTL in St. Louis.

TMC116
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:08 pm

Re: Oops - Can I get into law school?

Postby TMC116 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:11 pm

stillwater wrote:If you aren't particularly partial to DC, you could check out WUSTL in St. Louis.


+1

dissonance1848
Posts: 706
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:42 pm

Re: Oops - Can I get into law school?

Postby dissonance1848 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:21 pm

Where do you have ties in the US? Midwest is parochial as hell. As was stated above, get 173+ and do NU. WUSTL with scholly is also an option, given ties. If you dig staying in Indiana, IUB with full scholly is an option.

User avatar
Guchster
Posts: 1205
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: Oops - Can I get into law school?

Postby Guchster » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:24 pm

Umichleclair wrote:So I posted this originally in the wrong forum.

Looking for thoughts on whether I have a chance of getting into a decent school.
2.7 GPA (3.5 last two years) from the University of Michigan
168 LSAT
Been out of school for two years. One year working for a University and the other teaching in the Japanese public schools.

Any shot or should I stay in Japan? ha


You have some options here. Not worth going into massive debt for, though.

AriGoldButNicer
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:19 pm

Re: Oops - Can I get into law school?

Postby AriGoldButNicer » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:55 pm

I have a buddy who cracked the top 25 this cycle with a 2.3 and 164. I really think that with a strong app u can crack top 20. In addition to wustl, nd and usc are possible as are bc and bu. They're reaches, but attainable.

in2win
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:40 am

Re: Oops - Can I get into law school?

Postby in2win » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:02 pm

AriGoldButNicer wrote:I have a buddy who cracked the top 25 this cycle with a 2.3 and 164. I really think that with a strong app u can crack top 20. In addition to wustl, nd and usc are possible as are bc and bu. They're reaches, but attainable.


was it a urm?

yale2011
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:52 am

Re: Oops - Can I get into law school?

Postby yale2011 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:06 pm

.
Last edited by yale2011 on Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Lincoln
Posts: 1032
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: Oops - Can I get into law school?

Postby Lincoln » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:07 pm

Hate to break it to you, but no school you can get into with your GPA will put you on a path "to end up at a University doing legal research into my old age."

AriGoldButNicer
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:19 pm

Re: Oops - Can I get into law school?

Postby AriGoldButNicer » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:12 pm

in2win wrote:
AriGoldButNicer wrote:I have a buddy who cracked the top 25 this cycle with a 2.3 and 164. I really think that with a strong app u can crack top 20. In addition to wustl, nd and usc are possible as are bc and bu. They're reaches, but attainable.


was it a urm?

nah has an MA though.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Oops - Can I get into law school?

Postby bk1 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:36 pm

AriGoldButNicer wrote:I have a buddy who cracked the top 25 this cycle with a 2.3 and 164. I really think that with a strong app u can crack top 20. In addition to wustl, nd and usc are possible as are bc and bu. They're reaches, but attainable.


It's not that hard to crack T25 when IUB is a T25. http://indiana.lawschoolnumbers.com/sta ... Cycle=1112

By USC I hope you mean South Carolina since Southern California is not attainable with OP's GPA.

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Oops - Can I get into law school?

Postby Samara » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:05 pm

WUSTL is attainable and you could get a small scholly: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Ubermaus/jd

Their tuition is a little lower than other private schools and COL is pretty low in St. Louis, so WUSTL may be an attractive option. They also have a program where you can spend a semester in D.C. working with a government agency. I don't know how successful that has been in leading to D.C. jobs, but it sounds like something you'd like. I'm PM romothesavior though, since he is the resident WUSTL expert.

You should definitely retake though. Get a 170+ and you could get into NU or possibly GULC. At the very least, you'd earn a higher scholarship to WUSTL.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests