Score and schools to go into academia Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
LoveLife89

Bronze

Re: Score and schools to go into academia

Post by LoveLife89 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:43 pm

Thanks for the advice! I really do appreciate it. I Didn't know the difficulties of sports law and teaching so I definitely am thankful for everyones input.

I do have a question though. Because it is difficult to get into these areas, would it not be wise of me to include it in my personal statement or why x addendum for wanting to attend a particular school? In other words, should I state my reason for wanting to attend a specific school if the reason is a long shot? I do understand that it is quite difficult and again, i am glad to know that now.

And yes, I am half black. My dad is Ghanaian. But I wasn't really counting on my URM status because I've never checked it on applications. I've always checked other instead of checking black and white.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:08 pm

LoveLife89 wrote:I do have a question though. Because it is difficult to get into these areas, would it not be wise of me to include it in my personal statement or why x addendum for wanting to attend a particular school? In other words, should I state my reason for wanting to attend a specific school if the reason is a long shot? I do understand that it is quite difficult and again, i am glad to know that now.

And yes, I am half black. My dad is Ghanaian. But I wasn't really counting on my URM status because I've never checked it on applications. I've always checked other instead of checking black and white.
It's not a problem to use those goals in your PS, just be realistic about them. Everyone likes a little ambition, they just won't like it if you appear uninformed or entitled.

You should definitely check black/white, and write a diversity statement about being "diverse".

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:09 pm

Randomnumbers wrote:
LoveLife89 wrote:
Randomnumbers wrote:I'm assuming you are a troll, but I'll reply anyways. You had a 3.4 UG GPA, which means you aren't that great at academics. You took an initial diagnostic LSAT at a 156, which means you aren't naturally that smart. You aren't going to get into a top 6 school, due to your GPA. You have no chance of ever become a law professor - you lack both the natural talent and the academic drive, and I wonder why you would even want to?

Commendations on throwing in the sports law bit to make this an even more complete troll.

Troll? Sorry, definitely not a troll, but I'll let you continue to believe that. My initial diagnostic score was a 156 without ever having looked at the LSAT. It's not great, but there is definitely room to improve. My GPA was also a 3.67 at my UG, but my last two semesters weren't good at all.

Sports law is what I am interested in. I am interested in becoming an agent or legistlation at the amateur level. I"m not sure where the trolling is in anything that I've said
You'll be competing with the people who came out of undergrad with 3.9+ GPAs, and the people that took 160+ LSAT diagnosis tests cold. You'll be competing with people who did both. Chasing after what is perhaps the hardest thing to accomplish in law school, with no real sign that you have the aptitude to compete with the rockstars - with sports law as your backup?

And why weren't your last two semesters great? I mean, maybe if you came in with a 3.6 but you had pretty much straight A's in your STEM major the last 3 years after a horrible freshman year. Instead you had a crappy senior year (wrong grade trend), probably in some relatively easy major. But hey - you'll be able to land law school academia by finishing in the top of your class at a T14 np.
Dude, fuck off. I went from a 155 to a 174. A person's initial diagnostic doesn't have to be indicative of what they are ultimately capable of. Becoming a law professor is very difficult, but shitting on a person's dream of being one b/c of a DIAGNOSTIC score and undergrad GPA is weak (especially in this particular case where OP's GPA may not eliminate T6 schools b/c of urm status).

Ultimately OP really won't know if they have a decent shot at academia until they are able to good grades at a top school and show that they can produce good scholarship (and that's why most people need to have other interests besides academia when going to law school--there's so many steps (top school, strong grades, law review, clerkship, etc) to do before you know if you have a fighting chance).

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:58 pm

ThreeRivers wrote: By father being African, do you mean you are half black? If so then yes you're a URM and your chances of a top law school significantly increase... if not then it means nothing
Not so sure about that. In terms of URMs being African American and African are different (I think).
That being said it's self identified and if he looks even remotely black it's not like anyone will ask to see a family tree.

superbloom

Bronze

Post by superbloom » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:35 pm

There's a Rutgers grad who taught at Harvard and is now running for US Senator. Just sayin'.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:06 am

superbloom wrote:There's a Rutgers grad who taught at Harvard and is now running for US Senator. Just sayin'.
It happens, its ok to go for it... but just be ready / be alright with other much more likely options if you're going to attend ls

LoveLife89

Bronze

Post by LoveLife89 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:48 pm

Thanks everyone for your throughtful replies. I am going to concentrate on the LSAT and then come back for more advice when I have an actual score lol....I spoke to my pre law advisor from when I was in UG and I mentioned what many of you were saying, and he pretty much expressed the same views. He went to UPenn, but he made a point to say that much of the focus now is on publications.

Also, in terms of my URM status, I highly doubt that I will include the fact that I am half black. I really have never identified with that side since my dad was adopted by British people and I look mostly White. I have never checked it on any application and I really can't see myself starting now. This is why I am really studying my ass off to get the highest score possible.

But again, thank you all sooo much for all the advice. I need to find a way to do better in RC to improve my score, since more than half of my wrong answers come from this section alone. I really am using all the advice that I have received to make myself a better candidate and a more informed applicant !

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”