"Application on hold" question.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
GD123

"Application on hold" question.

Postby GD123 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:03 am

I've seen this topic brought up before but I'm not sure if my particular question has been answered. I received this message from U Miami:
Your application for admission to the University of Miami School of Law has been reviewed and no final decision has been made at this time. Your credentials qualify you to be placed in a hold category and your application will be reconsidered prior to April 30th.

Anyway I was just wondering, from anyone who has gotten this message or heard of it otherwise, how long it realistically takes to hear back again. I know the message gives an expected time, but considering schools send out acceptance/rejection letters often not in accordance with their other time tables, I was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on this.

Thanks guys.

NomNom

Re: "Application on hold" question.

Postby NomNom » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:43 am

Does that mean you were waitlisted?

CodyRuegger

Postby CodyRuegger » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:27 pm

This is a deferral, not a waitlist. It's imperative that you send them a LOCI as soon as you can if you want a straight-up acceptance. I think it takes about 6 weeks for the pile of apps to recycle itself at most schools, so that may be the time frame you're looking at.

GD123

Postby GD123 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:57 pm

Thanks Cody, that's a big help as I just started searching for info on LOCI on here and found a bunch of info. My only other question is whether it's possible to say whether a deferral or "hold" is preferable to a waitlist? I read someone say that this was so, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any input on this. Here's the exact post:

"A hold is better than a waitlist, IMO and from what I hear around here. There are some threads on this already, but with a hold they're just taking more time to make a decision, and with a waitlist they've already decided that they only want you if more room opens up."

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:03 pm

GD123 wrote:Thanks Cody, that's a big help as I just started searching for info on LOCI on here and found a bunch of info. My only other question is whether it's possible to say whether a deferral or "hold" is preferable to a waitlist? I read someone say that this was so, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any input on this. Here's the exact post:

"A hold is better than a waitlist, IMO and from what I hear around here. There are some threads on this already, but with a hold they're just taking more time to make a decision, and with a waitlist they've already decided that they only want you if more room opens up."

A hold is better than a waitlist. A hold says that we're interested in you, but we want to see how the next few weeks play out (and if you send us a LOCI). A waitlist lets you know that they're not that sold on you, but they'll let you in if nothing "better" comes along.

pancakelover

Postby pancakelover » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:50 am

bp shinners wrote:
GD123 wrote:Thanks Cody, that's a big help as I just started searching for info on LOCI on here and found a bunch of info. My only other question is whether it's possible to say whether a deferral or "hold" is preferable to a waitlist? I read someone say that this was so, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any input on this. Here's the exact post:

A hold is better than a waitlist. A hold says that we're interested in you, but we want to see how the next few weeks play out (and if you send us a LOCI). A waitlist lets you know that they're not that sold on you, but they'll let you in if nothing "better" comes along.

Does anyone have stats on this? As in % of people admitted after a hold vs. a waitlist?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”