addenda? please, in desperate need for some GOOD advice.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
s.pathan
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:05 pm

addenda? please, in desperate need for some GOOD advice.

Postby s.pathan » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:33 pm

I recently found out that a NC(no credit) on my undergraduate transcript will be counted as a failure. During my sophomore year at undergrad, my grandfather passed away and my mother became depressed. My mothers condition, and of course, the passing of my grandfather really affected my semester. I was at home mostly, and when I was at school, I wasn't really there. I received an F for one class, a C and I took a NC in another. My cumulative GPA is currently a 3.1 and I've had a steady upward trend since that horrid semester. I've only taken one more NC since then. I'm very confused as to what I should do; should I write an addenda explaining my "lost" semester?
Please any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm graduating this May and I plan on taking the December Lsat.

PS: My pre-law advisor waited to tell me the NC rule last semester -_____-

User avatar
splitbrain
Posts: 656
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:38 pm

Re: addenda? please, in desperate need for some GOOD advice.

Postby splitbrain » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:42 pm

Yes, absolutely explain that GPA. Search the forums for other posts about how to write it, but you definitely want to include that. Your upward-trending GPA will also support your statements.

GatorCTS
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:58 pm

Re: addenda? please, in desperate need for some GOOD advice.

Postby GatorCTS » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:26 pm

I was in a very similar situation this cycle when I applied. During my 3rd year of UG (2 years ago for me), I had an uncle pass away in the fall semester and then a few months later at the start of the spring semester my grandfather passed away. I was in the same boat as you, that when i was at school i wanst always there and focused. My gpa for those semesters were like 2.75 or lower but i had always been a 3.0 or better. Then last 3 semesters i was 3.5 and above so i wrote an addendum explaining the situation and how i was my work was not done to the best of my ability bc of the circumstances.

Just make sure you keep the addendum rather short...like 3-4 sentences.

rglifberg
Posts: 278
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: addenda? please, in desperate need for some GOOD advice.

Postby rglifberg » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:40 am

GatorCTS wrote:I was in a very similar situation this cycle when I applied. During my 3rd year of UG (2 years ago for me), I had an uncle pass away in the fall semester and then a few months later at the start of the spring semester my grandfather passed away. I was in the same boat as you, that when i was at school i wanst always there and focused. My gpa for those semesters were like 2.75 or lower but i had always been a 3.0 or better. Then last 3 semesters i was 3.5 and above so i wrote an addendum explaining the situation and how i was my work was not done to the best of my ability bc of the circumstances.

Just make sure you keep the addendum rather short...like 3-4 sentences.


What was your cumulative GPA, and how did that work out for you? I am in a similar situation so I'm pretty curious.

dvjn69
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:04 pm

Re: addenda? please, in desperate need for some GOOD advice.

Postby dvjn69 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:21 pm

Absolutely 100% explain this... Better yet, try and get documentation supporting your excuses, too (just in case...)

s.pathan
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:05 pm

Re: addenda? please, in desperate need for some GOOD advice.

Postby s.pathan » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:40 pm

I hope it helps; law schools always been my dream, and It'll be a shame if one bad semester hinders my chance to get into a law school. The schools that I'm looking at aren't the highest ranked, so i'm praying it won't be to detrimental.

GatorCTS
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:58 pm

Re: addenda? please, in desperate need for some GOOD advice.

Postby GatorCTS » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:32 pm

rglifberg wrote:
GatorCTS wrote:I was in a very similar situation this cycle when I applied. During my 3rd year of UG (2 years ago for me), I had an uncle pass away in the fall semester and then a few months later at the start of the spring semester my grandfather passed away. I was in the same boat as you, that when i was at school i wanst always there and focused. My gpa for those semesters were like 2.75 or lower but i had always been a 3.0 or better. Then last 3 semesters i was 3.5 and above so i wrote an addendum explaining the situation and how my work was not done to the best of my ability bc of the circumstances.

Just make sure you keep the addendum rather short...like 3-4 sentences.


What was your cumulative GPA, and how did that work out for you? I am in a similar situation so I'm pretty curious.


I ended up graduating with a 3.2 but a 3.15 according to LSAC. And right now I am still waiting on a few schools to get back to me but it has worked out about what i expected. I got denied from 1 school i thought i'd get into but what can you do. I think they look favorable on those kind of situations. Its not a huge boost but i think if you have numbers that are the same or very close to someone else without the same situation, they give you the benefit.

s.pathan
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:05 pm

Re: addenda? please, in desperate need for some GOOD advice.

Postby s.pathan » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:37 pm

Where did you apply?

GatorCTS
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:58 pm

Re: addenda? please, in desperate need for some GOOD advice.

Postby GatorCTS » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:53 pm

s.pathan wrote:Where did you apply?

S. Carolina, UF, Stetson, John Marshall Chicago, Depaul, Loyola Chicago, Saint Louis University, Villanova, Drexel, Cincy, Louisville, and a couple others

bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: addenda? please, in desperate need for some GOOD advice.

Postby bp shinners » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:12 pm

s.pathan wrote:I hope it helps; law schools always been my dream, and It'll be a shame if one bad semester hinders my chance to get into a law school. The schools that I'm looking at aren't the highest ranked, so i'm praying it won't be to detrimental.


Not to be negative, but it will definitely hinder you chances at law school. I don't want to blow smoke and tell you the addendum will erase that semester - it will still affect your GPA, which will affect your chances.

That said, you should write a short addendum explaining the situation. While it won't radically alter your chances, a death in the family is one of the few 'excuses' that law schools are willing to accept as a legitimate excuse for a bad semester. It'll be a good 'soft' factor, but your GPA will still be your GPA. Viewing the two things (addendum and GPA) as completely separate will give you a better idea of how the law schools will look at it than viewing one as mitigating the other.

User avatar
MrHaephestus
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: addenda? please, in desperate need for some GOOD advice.

Postby MrHaephestus » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:50 pm

Hiya!

Your LSAT score will largely determine your fate. Do well on the LSAT, and you should have a good shot at some good schools with the possibility of some scholarship money (perhaps alot of scholly money).

As to the issue of an addendum, yes, write a short paragraph explaining the situation. Do not go overboard with the explanation. Brevity is the soul of wit, but it also helps to provide clarity.

I must caution you about going to a TTT/TTTT school: especially at sticker price. Do NOT sell yourself short and attend a TTT/TTTT school just because law school has been your dream. The conventional wisdom on TLS is that if the LSAT score you acheive leaves something to be desired, then retake and bump up that score. Waiting a while, retaking, and getting into a better ranked school is infinitely preferable to settling for a lower ranked institution.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CMac86, haus, VandyMan32 and 4 guests