What else should I be doing?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
fairtuckychick

What else should I be doing?

Postby fairtuckychick » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:53 am

Hi everyone! I'm looking for some opinions. I'm studying for the June LSAT (practicing at 167 right now and aiming for the top of course) and I know that is the most important factor for apps. I got my B.S. in May '10 and began working in my field (aviation) immediately. I've been with the same company gaining great experience ever since and am currently working on an MBA from a not great school so it may not necessarily make the resume. My question is how do I best distance myself from my 3.18 LSAC GPA? I've been looking for a helpful second job and am a 4-H leader in a small community so nothing stellar....help? I'm just a plain ol' non-URM farmer's daughter--any ideas for some worthwhile softs?

Edit: I also held a leadership position on a nationally top-ranked intercollegiate team in UG.
Last edited by fairtuckychick on Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gail

Re: What else should I be doing?

Postby Gail » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:10 am

fairtuckychick wrote:Hi everyone! I'm looking for some opinions. I'm studying for the June LSAT (practicing at 167 right now and aiming for the top of course) and I know that is the most important factor for apps. I got my B.S. in May '10 and began working in my field (aviation) immediately. I've been with the same company gaining great experience ever since and am currently working on an MBA from a not great school so it may not necessarily make the resume. My question is how do I best distance myself from my 3.18 LSAC GPA? I've been looking for a helpful second job and am a 4-H leader in a small community so nothing stellar....help? I'm just a plain ol' non-URM farmer's daughter--any ideas for some worthwhile softs?

Hey there.

Not really much that you can do about the GPA. Good thing is that it's probably above a lot of GPA floors.

Your softs are actually rather good. WE kills at OCI once you actually do get into law school. MBA from a non-M7 isn't much, but you needn't take it off of your resume. I hope you didn't incur too much debt for that.

You need to beat the LSAT into submission. Don't take until you PT at about 173. Your nerves will make it so you miss about 4 points of your PT average (happened to me).

ED to UVa or get full ride somewhere in the south.

fairtuckychick

Postby fairtuckychick » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:38 am

Gail wrote:
fairtuckychick wrote:Hi everyone! I'm looking for some opinions. I'm studying for the June LSAT (practicing at 167 right now and aiming for the top of course) and I know that is the most important factor for apps. I got my B.S. in May '10 and began working in my field (aviation) immediately. I've been with the same company gaining great experience ever since and am currently working on an MBA from a not great school so it may not necessarily make the resume. My question is how do I best distance myself from my 3.18 LSAC GPA? I've been looking for a helpful second job and am a 4-H leader in a small community so nothing stellar....help? I'm just a plain ol' non-URM farmer's daughter--any ideas for some worthwhile softs?

Hey there.

Not really much that you can do about the GPA. Good thing is that it's probably above a lot of GPA floors.

Your softs are actually rather good. WE kills at OCI once you actually do get into law school. MBA from a non-M7 isn't much, but you needn't take it off of your resume. I hope you didn't incur too much debt for that.

You need to beat the LSAT into submission. Don't take until you PT at about 173. Your nerves will make it so you miss about 4 points of your PT average (happened to me).

ED to UVa or get full ride somewhere in the south.

Thanks! I'm definitely focused on the LSAT first and foremost and the MBA has been practically free. It's really just occupied me and kept me in school--I'm such a nerd at heart lol.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:27 pm

Gail wrote:You need to beat the LSAT into submission. Don't take until you PT at at least 173. Your nerves will make it so you miss about 4 points of your PT average (happened to me).

Don't sell her short - OP, if you feel you still have room to improve, don't settle for a 173. While that's a solid score that qualifies you for almost any school, a higher one will help mitigate that lower GPA. A 172/3.14 might be a reach at some schools that a 176/3.14 will get you a scholarship from.

NoJob

Postby NoJob » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:58 pm

Edit: I also held a leadership position on a nationally top-ranked intercollegiate team in UG.

"Non- URM farmer's daughter?" U sound like a Rethuglican so I recommend going to the most expensive law school that you get accepted at. Then, take out the full amount of federal loans and live off the government tit as you previously have from federal farm subsidies.

If not a rethug, then don't go to law school.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:54 pm

Definitely should be doing one-handed pushups.

jkpolk

Postby jkpolk » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:56 pm

Scotch, a lot of scotch

FryBreadPower

Postby FryBreadPower » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:58 pm

NoJob wrote:

"Non- URM farmer's daughter?" U sound like a Rethuglican so I recommend going to the most expensive law school that you get accepted at. Then, take out the full amount of federal loans and live off the government tit as you previously have from federal farm subsidies.

Holy turd Mtal just go. If you are out to prove that people think you are a dick without listening to your content then you will be very disappointed. You're just as much of a downer regardless of the alt name you choose.
Last edited by FryBreadPower on Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fairtuckychick

Postby fairtuckychick » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:06 pm

NoJob wrote:

Thanks for the advice--another question: have you decided on a bridge or maybe a scenic cliff?

For the record, many farmers dislike the subsidies as much as you seem to. And growing up on the low socioeconomic end of the farm community I have quite strong views on how big government, while often well-intentioned, is horrible for the economy and for people...health care anyone? So much for your theory...

splitbrain

Postby splitbrain » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:15 pm

OP, don't worry about that guy - he was a troll and the mods have dealt with him.

As for the answer, really the only two things you can do (in order of significance) are 1) blow that LSAT out of the water - 170+ would put you in a GREAT place, and 2) work for more years (this is a distant 2nd to getting a high LSAT).

No13baby

Postby No13baby » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:26 pm

OP, you mentioned that you work in aviation - what kind of work do you do? If it's anything mechanics/engineering related, that will also give you a huge boost (if not as much for admissions, definitely for job interviews.)

fairtuckychick

Postby fairtuckychick » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:52 pm

Thanks all! The LSAT is definitely my priority and I'm aiming as high as possible--180 or bust lol.

As for the work experience though-I'm aiming for the fall cycle which would give me just over 2 years WE. I actually just got the call that I landed a second job with a little more mechanical focus, but I do not have an engineering/mechanical background; my B.S. is "Aeronautics" so idk what adcomms will take from that. I assume they've been around enough to know what it is, and I don't have any intentions of specifically addressing in the the application process but at the same time I don't want to be dishonest. My work is mainly flight operations and a little business-y. Would waiting another year be helpful? I'm young and have plenty of time; I just want to give myself the best opportunity for the best school I can get into.

splitbrain

Postby splitbrain » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:19 pm

Waiting another year is always helpful but you're going to start getting diminishing returns. You're talking about applying next cycle with a June LSAT right? You should be fine. 2 years of substantive work experience is a great thing to have. One more probably wouldn't make any huge differences, but I am at work and left my crystal ball at home :D .

Also, just out of personal curiosity, why do you want to become a lawyer from your background in engineering? (Not judging at all - I have a friend in med school who was an aerospace engineering major and after some on-the-job experience he realized he hated being an engineer but loved the work his uncle does as an MD after shadowing him)

fairtuckychick

Postby fairtuckychick » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:38 pm

splitbrain wrote:Waiting another year is always helpful but you're going to start getting diminishing returns. You're talking about applying next cycle with a June LSAT right? You should be fine. 2 years of substantive work experience is a great thing to have. One more probably wouldn't make any huge differences, but I am at work and left my crystal ball at home :D .

Also, just out of personal curiosity, why do you want to become a lawyer from your background in engineering? (Not judging at all - I have a friend in med school who was an aerospace engineering major and after some on-the-job experience he realized he hated being an engineer but loved the work his uncle does as an MD after shadowing him)

I am planning on a June LSAT and going right into the next cycle (providing I have a solid score). I'm glad to hear 2 years is about the same as 3 because I'm getting antsy even though I'm young enough another year wouldn't be a big deal.

I'm not an engineer though; I work on the flight operations end of an airline in the group of management (I say that lightly as I have no one reporting to me) that translates business to pilot/flight crew and vice versa. At this point I believe I will stay with aviation after law school, but I know I may find I'm really interested in some other branch of law...I hear that happens.

OmarLittle

Postby OmarLittle » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:50 pm

NoJob wrote:

You are such a douche.

CodyRuegger

Postby CodyRuegger » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:32 pm

OP, I was in a similar place 10 months ago. I had already graduated when I came to the decision to apply for law school, and couldn't do much to change the GPA. Unfortunately, you're stuck with it for life. Make studying for the LSAT your #1 priority, with a 173 you've got a decent shot at ED UVa and potentially others the higher up you go from there. Just go through the tests slowly until you're getting every problem right then worry about time limits - what you are PTing 3 months before D-day isn't really indicative of your potential. Ask for your letter of reqs now as well, as you'll want to submit your application before everyone else does.

fairtuckychick

Postby fairtuckychick » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:08 pm

CodyRuegger wrote:OP, I was in a similar place 10 months ago. I had already graduated when I came to the decision to apply for law school, and couldn't do much to change the GPA. Unfortunately, you're stuck with it for life. Make studying for the LSAT your #1 priority, with a 173 you've got a decent shot at ED UVa and potentially others the higher up you go from there. Just go through the tests slowly until you're getting every problem right then worry about time limits - what you are PTing 3 months before D-day isn't really indicative of your potential. Ask for your letter of reqs now as well, as you'll want to submit your application before everyone else does.

Affirm-that's my plan and a similar situation. As for recommendations, I'm planning on my boss since I've been working for him for 2 years and he's an awesome writer, and 2 undergrad professors, one of which was also the coach of very time consuming team I was involved with. I'm hoping this is good enough because I kind of clueless and didn't really build great relationships with college profs because I didn't know to...if only I knew then what I knew now haha.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”