sticky situation - year-long study abroad or not?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Re: sticky situation - year-long study abroad or not?

Postby pancakelover » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:40 am

defrutamadre wrote:
pancakelover wrote:
That's a great idea. But I don't know that many current students or alumni in the schools I'm applying to, and certainly don't know professors. How did you line that up? And what made you decide to go abroad despite your hesitation?

The opportunity abroad wasn't something that I could defer, and I thought--oh what the hell! life only comes at you once.

Once you're accepted, the school will most likely hook you up with a current student, and you can always use that student to connect to more students. I've also sent emails to the admissions office, asking to be put in touch with current students or alumni with similar interests, and they've followed up with me. Professors can be a bit tricky...honestly, I just found ones whose work or classes I was interested in and just sent a short email saying I was a prospective student who would love the opportunity to ask a few questions, and most would send welcoming replies.

I do think visiting is important, and law school is a huge investment--you should know exactly what you're getting into. With that said, I don't think ASWs are necessarily the best way of figuring out a school's atmosphere (you'll be eating what the school wants you to see, in most cases). Talk candidly to current students, visit the campus when school is in session, see how accessible professors are (if they can't even answer your emails now, what will it be like when you're taking a class with them?), and live it up in egypt!

Thanks, will definitely do that.

@CW - I'm waiting on my Feb score... longest Feb wait EVER

Re: sticky situation - year-long study abroad or not?

Postby worldtraveler » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:58 am

I applied while abroad and just visited schools before I left. It's not that big of a deal.

Although I'm not sure why you're so insistent that you can't have a gap year. There is no rush to going to law school.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”