Embarassing C&F question?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
katesearches

Embarassing C&F question?

Postby katesearches » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:44 pm

I have an embarassing C&F question, if anyone can help out.

Last fall, my relatives came over to my parents apartment and we had a huge family feud, which consisted of everyone basically yelling over everyone's voice, a lot of verbal accusations (oh, you did this, and that! you hurt my feelings when you said this!) and shouting. I'm embarassed to say I was involved in this family feud. And that the police were involved.. :|

(The walls are thin. And neighbors complain about the slighest noise around here. but I'll spare you the details). Basically the neighbors called the police to complain about the arguing. Police showed up to investigate. We apologized for the argument getting loud. They told us to keep things down, and before they left, they got our names, numbers and asked to see our driver's licenses, and wrote our DL numbers down.

And then that was it.

I'm assuming the cops that came had to write up a report or some kind of log since it's probably part of their job. Especially since they got our DL numbers, it makes sense that they wrote up some kind of report. We never heard back from them about anything. And no one was obviously arrested or anything.

Do I report this anywhere? I don't want to jeopardize my career in any way, so I want to report anything that could raise concern. My older sister tells me though that I'm just worrying too much. her analogy is: people have parties all the time, things get noisy, police come, people quiet down, police leave. Would that need to be reported too? I'm just worried because our DL numbers were taken down, so I'm assuming my name/DL # is floating somewhere in a police report, although I can't really say for certain.

Any advice or tips?

bernaldiaz

Re: Embarassing C&F question?

Postby bernaldiaz » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:45 pm

katesearches wrote:I have an embarassing C&F question, if anyone can help out.

Last fall, my relatives came over to my parents apartment and we had a huge family feud, which consisted of everyone basically yelling over everyone's voice, a lot of verbal accusations (oh, you did this, and that! you hurt my feelings when you said this!) and shouting. I'm embarassed to say I was involved in this family feud. And that the police were involved.. :|

(The walls are thin. And neighbors complain about the slighest noise around here. but I'll spare you the details). Basically the neighbors called the police to complain about the arguing. Police showed up to investigate. We apologized for the argument getting loud. They told us to keep things down, and before they left, they got our names, numbers and asked to see our driver's licenses, and wrote our DL numbers down.

And then that was it.

I'm assuming the cops that came had to write up a report or some kind of log since it's probably part of their job. Especially since they got our DL numbers, it makes sense that they wrote up some kind of report. We never heard back from them about anything. And no one was obviously arrested or anything.

Do I report this anywhere? I don't want to jeopardize my career in any way, so I want to report anything that could raise concern. My older sister tells me though that I'm just worrying too much. her analogy is: people have parties all the time, things get noisy, police come, people quiet down, police leave. Would that need to be reported too? I'm just worried because our DL numbers were taken down, so I'm assuming my name/DL # is floating somewhere in a police report, although I can't really say for certain.

Any advice or tips?

If not citation was given to you, I don't think you need to disclose.

katesearches

Postby katesearches » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:56 pm

bernaldiaz wrote: If not citation was given to you, I don't think you need to disclose.

No citations given to anyone involved but what makes me feel uneasy is that they wrote our names/DL numbers down on official form/slips they carried.

Is that just a standard form they use to write down complaints, or is that a citation they'll fill out later and mail to our family or something? it's been about 4 months and we haven't received anything in the mail.. so I'm guessing we didn't get a citation, or we wouldve heard about it by now?

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:59 pm

katesearches wrote:
bernaldiaz wrote: If not citation was given to you, I don't think you need to disclose.

No citations given to anyone involved but what makes me feel uneasy is that they wrote our names/DL numbers down on official form/slips they carried.

Is that just a standard form they use to write down complaints, or is that a citation they'll fill out later and mail to our family or something? it's been about 4 months and we haven't received anything in the mail.. so I'm guessing we didn't get a citation, or we wouldve heard about it by now?

They would have had to do a report but this is no big deal. If you were getting a citation, it would have been on-scene. No dept waits 4 months to issue a loud-noise citation. (I was a cop for 10 years.) I wouldn't disclose.

katesearches

Postby katesearches » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:01 pm

blowhard wrote:
katesearches wrote:

They would have had to do a report but this is no big deal. If you were getting a citation, it would have been on-scene. No dept waits 4 months to issue a loud-noise citation. (I was a cop for 10 years.) I wouldn't disclose.

OK, thanks so much for your input guys. I feel relieved now, I was starting to get stressed by little things like this

splitbrain

Postby splitbrain » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:30 pm

Yeah just to help reassure you - no need to disclose that - very minor.

dixon02

Postby dixon02 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:39 pm

splitbrain wrote:Yeah just to help reassure you - no need to disclose that - very minor.

Agreed. You're fine.

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:43 pm

9999/10000 times, you're fine (100% for admissions.)

The only time I can imagine needing to disclose this is for is a background check for some jobs/internships. I know someone who filled one out lately, and it had a section asking if police ever were called to your house. Answering yes won't ding you, or anything, as long as you're honest.

OmarLittle

Postby OmarLittle » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:47 pm

If I had a dollar for every time the cops wrote down my information I'd be rich. I didn't disclose a thing because I was never arrested or cited. Don't overthink this.

Gail

Postby Gail » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:24 am

Just disclose. Look into C&F. Look at some of the questions.

If they cared enough to debate for hours the merits of your rehabilitation, they'd update the actual application once in a while (seriously, it's a product of the 12th century updated maybe once in the 1950's to satisfy McCarthy). So many questions are just so antiquated.

They'll mainly seek out discrepancies. If any are apparent, you'll get a swift kick in the butt. If not. They have thousands of other applicants to rubber stamp.

Besides, better to live up to your sins than look over your shoulder your entire career. Show rehabilitation, even a small effort to fix your problems will go a long way.

The only thing to be afraid of is the lie.

Gail

Postby Gail » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:26 am

OmarLittle wrote:If I had a dollar for every time the cops wrote down my information I'd be rich. I didn't disclose a thing because I was never arrested or cited. Don't overthink this.

Even Omar could pass the bar if he were forthcoming. :wink:

Indeed.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”