Importance of Resume vs LSAT/GPA/Personal Statement Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
UTexasLaw

New

Importance of Resume vs LSAT/GPA/Personal Statement

Post by UTexasLaw » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:18 pm

My roommate and I had a heated discussion today about what law school admissions looks for in applicants, so I thought I'd pose the topic to the folks here at TLS. Essentially, my undergrad experience has been fairly stable. I have a great GPA (3.85-3.9) and I'll get my LSAT next week (probably around 167-172). I also plan on making my personal statement excellent, so on paper, I'll have a pretty good LSAT/GPA/Personal Statement for admissions to look at.

However, my resume is, for lack of a better word, weak. I did not hold any jobs during college. I tutored other undergrad students for 2 semesters, ran an eBay store for about a year where I made over $20k, and volunteered randomly throughout the community (marathons, food drives, blood drives, etc). I never really committed any time to major organizations or anything.

Essentially, we were debating the strength of my application and what law school admissions looks at. My roommate was stressing that I underestimate the people who have my GPA/LSAT score and says that my resume will ultimately hurt me/I should have participated more heavily in organizations or extra curriculars. I'm arguing that because I achieved the LSAT/GPA numbers, I shouldn't have a problem getting into a T20 school. I concede the point that my resume is weak, I know that. However, I don't think it'll be a deciding factor on whether or not I get accepted into a T20 Law school.

So I throw the question to yall. How important is a resume in the law school admissions process, given that I have a 3.85-3.9 GPA and a 167-172 LSAT? Will the fact that I don't have major work experience or major leadership involvement nix me from certain schools?

Thanks!

FinallyGoing

Bronze

Re: Importance of Resume vs LSAT/GPA/Personal Statement

Post by FinallyGoing » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:05 pm

UTexasLaw wrote: Will the fact that I don't have major work experience or major leadership involvement nix me from certain schools?

Thanks!
Probably mostly, if not only, at the schools which you won't be getting into anyway.
Last edited by FinallyGoing on Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fosterp

Bronze

Post by fosterp » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:07 pm

Well...the best school I was accepted to was a t30 so this might be irrelevant, but I had absolutely nothing on my resume other than working as a cashier for five years while in school and a short internship for one quarter. I ended up getting accepted while others with better numbers were WL or rejected. I also had a PS that a few people said was kind of weak when I posted for it for criticism.

I think most people will tell you that lsat/gpa is almost everything, and I guess the only time your resume will really matter is if all else being equal they will take the one with the stronger resume. I think they just want to see that you didn't spend your entire college years slacking off and partying every night.

Excellent117

Bronze

Post by Excellent117 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:17 pm

Applicants' resumes aren't involved in law school rankings...so you are fine.

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:51 pm

Depends on the school and your numbers relative to that school's numerical targets for the year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Geetar Man

Silver

Post by Geetar Man » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:21 pm

It doesnt really mean anything. The only T14 school that I've heard who cares about WE is NW, as they value having students who've had WE. Otherwise, you're numbers are mostly what they care about.

Did anyone else get the sense OP's argument with his roommate never happened, and he/she is wondering this all on their own. :)

No offense, OP. You have really good numbers. HTH

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:25 pm

It'll be fine for admissions, but what will you say at your firm interviews? What will even be on that one page resume you hand them?

splitbrain

Silver

Post by splitbrain » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:29 pm

IAFG wrote:What will even be on that one page resume you hand them?
A paragraph of hobbies! Wee!

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:33 pm

IAFG wrote:It'll be fine for admissions, but what will you say at your firm interviews? What will even be on that one page resume you hand them?
UTexasLaw wrote: However, my resume is, for lack of a better word, weak. I did not hold any jobs during college. I tutored other undergrad students for 2 semesters, ran an eBay store for about a year where I made over $20k, and volunteered randomly throughout the community (marathons, food drives, blood drives, etc). I never really committed any time to major organizations or anything.
This stuff isn't great but it'd be pretty easy to fluff up.

That said, I'm assuming the OP won't be applying until next fall, and working for the next 18 months solves a lot of problems.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:54 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
IAFG wrote:It'll be fine for admissions, but what will you say at your firm interviews? What will even be on that one page resume you hand them?
UTexasLaw wrote: However, my resume is, for lack of a better word, weak. I did not hold any jobs during college. I tutored other undergrad students for 2 semesters, ran an eBay store for about a year where I made over $20k, and volunteered randomly throughout the community (marathons, food drives, blood drives, etc). I never really committed any time to major organizations or anything.
This stuff isn't great but it'd be pretty easy to fluff up.

That said, I'm assuming the OP won't be applying until next fall, and working for the next 18 months solves a lot of problems.
Sounds like OP plans to be a K-JD.

UTexasLaw

New

Post by UTexasLaw » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:01 am

Geetar Man wrote:It doesnt really mean anything. The only T14 school that I've heard who cares about WE is NW, as they value having students who've had WE. Otherwise, you're numbers are mostly what they care about.

Did anyone else get the sense OP's argument with his roommate never happened, and he/she is wondering this all on their own. :)

No offense, OP. You have really good numbers. HTH

Lol, nah we really had the argument. He was saying that I'm not doing enough in my undergrad to get into the top universities and whatnot/I was overstating the importance of LSAT/GPA.

IAFG wrote: Sounds like OP plans to be a K-JD.

*EDIT* Yeah, I'm a K-JD. Don't want to waste my time elsewhere

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:05 am

UTexasLaw wrote:

At least get some kind of job or internship then. You have a year and a half until you graduate.

UTexasLaw

New

Post by UTexasLaw » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:07 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
UTexasLaw wrote:

At least get some kind of job or internship then. You have a year and a half until you graduate.

I'll have an internship with some corporation this summer. Required by my school in order to graduate/get a degree.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:09 am

*EDIT* Yeah, I'm a K-JD. Don't want to waste my time elsewhere[/quote]
"waste my time"

I don't think that phrase means what you think it means.

UTexasLaw

New

Post by UTexasLaw » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:18 am

IAFG wrote:

"waste my time"

I don't think that phrase means what you think it means.

Sorry, what I mean is that I don't want to join the workforce out of UG, be disconnected from the rigors of school life, and enter back into school later when I have other life commitments (family, work, etc). Would rather just knock it all out at once

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”