Importance of Resume vs LSAT/GPA/Personal Statement

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
UTexasLaw
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:10 pm

Importance of Resume vs LSAT/GPA/Personal Statement

Postby UTexasLaw » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:18 pm

My roommate and I had a heated discussion today about what law school admissions looks for in applicants, so I thought I'd pose the topic to the folks here at TLS. Essentially, my undergrad experience has been fairly stable. I have a great GPA (3.85-3.9) and I'll get my LSAT next week (probably around 167-172). I also plan on making my personal statement excellent, so on paper, I'll have a pretty good LSAT/GPA/Personal Statement for admissions to look at.

However, my resume is, for lack of a better word, weak. I did not hold any jobs during college. I tutored other undergrad students for 2 semesters, ran an eBay store for about a year where I made over $20k, and volunteered randomly throughout the community (marathons, food drives, blood drives, etc). I never really committed any time to major organizations or anything.

Essentially, we were debating the strength of my application and what law school admissions looks at. My roommate was stressing that I underestimate the people who have my GPA/LSAT score and says that my resume will ultimately hurt me/I should have participated more heavily in organizations or extra curriculars. I'm arguing that because I achieved the LSAT/GPA numbers, I shouldn't have a problem getting into a T20 school. I concede the point that my resume is weak, I know that. However, I don't think it'll be a deciding factor on whether or not I get accepted into a T20 Law school.


So I throw the question to yall. How important is a resume in the law school admissions process, given that I have a 3.85-3.9 GPA and a 167-172 LSAT? Will the fact that I don't have major work experience or major leadership involvement nix me from certain schools?


Thanks!

FinallyGoing
Posts: 249
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:52 pm

Re: Importance of Resume vs LSAT/GPA/Personal Statement

Postby FinallyGoing » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:05 pm

UTexasLaw wrote: Will the fact that I don't have major work experience or major leadership involvement nix me from certain schools?


Thanks!


Probably mostly, if not only, at the schools which you won't be getting into anyway.
Last edited by FinallyGoing on Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fosterp
Posts: 319
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:09 am

Re: Importance of Resume vs LSAT/GPA/Personal Statement

Postby fosterp » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:07 pm

Well...the best school I was accepted to was a t30 so this might be irrelevant, but I had absolutely nothing on my resume other than working as a cashier for five years while in school and a short internship for one quarter. I ended up getting accepted while others with better numbers were WL or rejected. I also had a PS that a few people said was kind of weak when I posted for it for criticism.

I think most people will tell you that lsat/gpa is almost everything, and I guess the only time your resume will really matter is if all else being equal they will take the one with the stronger resume. I think they just want to see that you didn't spend your entire college years slacking off and partying every night.

Excellent117
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:44 pm

Re: Importance of Resume vs LSAT/GPA/Personal Statement

Postby Excellent117 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:17 pm

Applicants' resumes aren't involved in law school rankings...so you are fine.

User avatar
banjo
Posts: 1345
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:00 pm

Re: Importance of Resume vs LSAT/GPA/Personal Statement

Postby banjo » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:51 pm

Depends on the school and your numbers relative to that school's numerical targets for the year.

User avatar
Geetar Man
Posts: 585
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 4:13 am

Re: Importance of Resume vs LSAT/GPA/Personal Statement

Postby Geetar Man » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:21 pm

It doesnt really mean anything. The only T14 school that I've heard who cares about WE is NW, as they value having students who've had WE. Otherwise, you're numbers are mostly what they care about.


Did anyone else get the sense OP's argument with his roommate never happened, and he/she is wondering this all on their own. :)

No offense, OP. You have really good numbers. HTH

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Importance of Resume vs LSAT/GPA/Personal Statement

Postby IAFG » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:25 pm

It'll be fine for admissions, but what will you say at your firm interviews? What will even be on that one page resume you hand them?

User avatar
splitbrain
Posts: 656
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:38 pm

Re: Importance of Resume vs LSAT/GPA/Personal Statement

Postby splitbrain » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:29 pm

IAFG wrote:What will even be on that one page resume you hand them?


A paragraph of hobbies! Wee!

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15495
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Importance of Resume vs LSAT/GPA/Personal Statement

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:33 pm

IAFG wrote:It'll be fine for admissions, but what will you say at your firm interviews? What will even be on that one page resume you hand them?


UTexasLaw wrote:However, my resume is, for lack of a better word, weak. I did not hold any jobs during college. I tutored other undergrad students for 2 semesters, ran an eBay store for about a year where I made over $20k, and volunteered randomly throughout the community (marathons, food drives, blood drives, etc). I never really committed any time to major organizations or anything.


This stuff isn't great but it'd be pretty easy to fluff up.

That said, I'm assuming the OP won't be applying until next fall, and working for the next 18 months solves a lot of problems.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Importance of Resume vs LSAT/GPA/Personal Statement

Postby IAFG » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:54 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
IAFG wrote:It'll be fine for admissions, but what will you say at your firm interviews? What will even be on that one page resume you hand them?


UTexasLaw wrote:However, my resume is, for lack of a better word, weak. I did not hold any jobs during college. I tutored other undergrad students for 2 semesters, ran an eBay store for about a year where I made over $20k, and volunteered randomly throughout the community (marathons, food drives, blood drives, etc). I never really committed any time to major organizations or anything.


This stuff isn't great but it'd be pretty easy to fluff up.

That said, I'm assuming the OP won't be applying until next fall, and working for the next 18 months solves a lot of problems.

Sounds like OP plans to be a K-JD.

UTexasLaw
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:10 pm

Re: Importance of Resume vs LSAT/GPA/Personal Statement

Postby UTexasLaw » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:01 am

Geetar Man wrote:It doesnt really mean anything. The only T14 school that I've heard who cares about WE is NW, as they value having students who've had WE. Otherwise, you're numbers are mostly what they care about.


Did anyone else get the sense OP's argument with his roommate never happened, and he/she is wondering this all on their own. :)

No offense, OP. You have really good numbers. HTH



Lol, nah we really had the argument. He was saying that I'm not doing enough in my undergrad to get into the top universities and whatnot/I was overstating the importance of LSAT/GPA.


IAFG wrote:Sounds like OP plans to be a K-JD.




*EDIT* Yeah, I'm a K-JD. Don't want to waste my time elsewhere

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15495
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Importance of Resume vs LSAT/GPA/Personal Statement

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:05 am

UTexasLaw wrote:
IAFG wrote:Sounds like OP plans to be a K-JD.



*EDIT* Yeah, I'm a K-JD. Don't want to waste my time elsewhere


At least get some kind of job or internship then. You have a year and a half until you graduate.

UTexasLaw
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:10 pm

Re: Importance of Resume vs LSAT/GPA/Personal Statement

Postby UTexasLaw » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:07 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
UTexasLaw wrote:
IAFG wrote:Sounds like OP plans to be a K-JD.



*EDIT* Yeah, I'm a K-JD. Don't want to waste my time elsewhere


At least get some kind of job or internship then. You have a year and a half until you graduate.



I'll have an internship with some corporation this summer. Required by my school in order to graduate/get a degree.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Importance of Resume vs LSAT/GPA/Personal Statement

Postby IAFG » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:09 am

IAFG wrote:Sounds like OP plans to be a K-JD.




*EDIT* Yeah, I'm a K-JD. Don't want to waste my time elsewhere[/quote]
"waste my time"

I don't think that phrase means what you think it means.

UTexasLaw
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:10 pm

Re: Importance of Resume vs LSAT/GPA/Personal Statement

Postby UTexasLaw » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:18 am

IAFG wrote:
IAFG wrote:Sounds like OP plans to be a K-JD.




*EDIT* Yeah, I'm a K-JD. Don't want to waste my time elsewhere
"waste my time"

I don't think that phrase means what you think it means.




Sorry, what I mean is that I don't want to join the workforce out of UG, be disconnected from the rigors of school life, and enter back into school later when I have other life commitments (family, work, etc). Would rather just knock it all out at once




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests