Foreign Language and Law School Admissions

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
helmholtz.watson

Foreign Language and Law School Admissions

Postby helmholtz.watson » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:10 pm

I am currently taking Chinese and am not doing very well in it (taking Chinese at 15 other hours wasn't a bright idea). Do law schools care about the difficulty of the foreign language that someone takes? If a student makes poor grades in a foreign language class, but otherwise has good grades, would top law schools care?

rinkrat19

Re: Foreign Language and Law School Admissions

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:11 pm

They pretty much only care about your cumulative GPA. Unfortunately, no matter how hard your class or major is, there are plenty of people out there who got As in it.

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:46 am

rinkrat19 wrote:They pretty much only care about your cumulative GPA. Unfortunately, no matter how hard your class or major is, there are plenty of people out there who got As in it.

This doesn't even need to be true, even if the entire population who had the misfortune of choosing the major you chose were in the gutter in the academic sense, there are still more pol-sci or philosophy majors or w/e with 4.0 GPAs, and you will be competing against those.

superbloom

Postby superbloom » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:00 am

I had a near 4.0 GPA in my Arabic minor. Didn't seem to help me at all.

pancakelover

Postby pancakelover » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:55 am

superbloom wrote:I had a near 4.0 GPA in my Arabic minor. Didn't seem to help me at all.

Because minors don't matter. Majors barely matter as it is, from a law school standpoint.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”