Interesting Situation - Law School Chances? Please

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
niketown3000

Interesting Situation - Law School Chances? Please

Postby niketown3000 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:47 pm

Stats:

3.389 GPA UC San Diego - Biology (3.333) + Political Science (3.9) + GE Classes
4.000 GPA UC San Diego - M.S. Biology (9-month accelerated program) - publication in prep

173 LSAT

Letters of Recommendation: Dean of Graduate Studies, PhD in my lab, Professor of Constitutional Law - all will give decent LORs

No URM

Got C in Composition & English (Did not even try) for GE requirement at Community College, but can write well

Work experience in biotech industry 1 - year, potentially some experience in IP firm max 1 -year
President of One Club on Campus

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chances for T-14? Will Early Decision Help? Possible ways to better my chances?

Hoping for Cornell, G-Town, UVA, UCLA...or higher?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Curious what thoughts are on JD/MBA and future of legal industry with companies like Legalzoon taking jobs from lawyers

chem

Re: Interesting Situation - Law School Chances? Please

Postby chem » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:53 pm

niketown3000 wrote:Stats:

3.389 GPA UC San Diego - Biology (3.333) + Political Science (3.9) + GE Classes
4.000 GPA UC San Diego - M.S. Biology (9-month accelerated program) - publication in prep

173 LSAT

Letters of Recommendation: Dean of Graduate Studies, PhD in my lab, Professor of Constitutional Law - all will give decent LORs

No URM

Got C in Composition & English (Did not even try) for GE requirement at Community College, but can write well

Work experience in biotech industry 1 - year, potentially some experience in IP firm max 1 -year
President of One Club on Campus

Chances for T-14? Will Early Decision Help? Possible ways to better my chances?

Curious what thoughts are on JD/MBA and future of legal industry with companies like Legalzoon taking jobs from lawyers

You can get into all of them easily, except for UCLA and UVA. UVA would be auto admit with an ED, but I would use your ED at a CCN, or maybe Northwestern, which with your job experience you have a fairly good chance at

JD/MBA from what I have read should only be pursued if you have a very specific idea of what you want to do with it.

Wiser heads than I can talk about the legal industry, but if you want to do patent, you shouldnt have to worry.

Postby 20130312 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:55 pm

niketown3000 wrote:3.389 GPA 173 LSAT

Narrowed the OP down to things that law schools take into account when admitting students. You will get all of these schools except UCLA. They prefer higher GPAs.

lawschoolnumbers.com

chem

Postby chem » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:09 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
niketown3000 wrote:3.389 GPA 173 LSAT

Work experience in biotech industry 1 - year

Narrowed the OP down to things that law schools take into account when admitting students. You will get all of these schools except UCLA. They prefer higher GPAs.

lawschoolnumbers.com

Missed the WE

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:07 pm

You're very similar to me in numbers, but probably better in softs.

You'll get into at least MVP, and might sneak into CCN if you ED.

Mausketeer

Postby Mausketeer » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:36 am

Should have a decent chance at everything other than the T6, but you're solid at the lower T14 (except Cal).

Good luck to a fellow Triton!

niketown3000

Postby niketown3000 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:46 am

Thanks everyone!

I actually am planning still to get the work experience I mentioned on the forum. I currently am only doing masters.

I am doing everything except the work experience (plan to have it). In case things do not work out, do my chances change too much?

Postby 20130312 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:10 am

niketown3000 wrote:Thanks everyone!

I actually am planning still to get the work experience I mentioned on the forum. I currently am only doing masters.

I am doing everything except the work experience (plan to have it). In case things do not work out, do my chances change too much?

See my first post.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”