Disadvantage in being Asian in law school admissions?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Tom Joad

Re: Disadvantage in being Asian in law school admissions?

Postby Tom Joad » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:03 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:
BigTimeJewLawyer2B wrote:
westinghouse60 wrote:+ 1 lol. And if whites were good at teh sciences like Asians are, they'd probably also try to go to med school more frequently rather than graduate with a liberal arts degree and go the law school route.

Agree 100%-while American school kids are sitting around playing Wii, wasting time on Facebook and Twitter, and getting obese at record rates, Chinese kids are doing Calculus and their parents are buying our debt.

Before long, we'll all be speaking Chinese

I love this poster.

...why?

Well it is obvious he is trolling and his name makes me laugh every single time.

splitbrain

Postby splitbrain » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:18 pm

BigTimeJewLawyer2B wrote:Agree 100%-while American school kids are sitting around playing Wii, wasting time on Facebook and Twitter, and getting obese at record rates, Chinese kids are doing Calculus and their parents are buying our debt.

Before long, we'll all be speaking Chinese

lolwut?

That's a pretty impressive lack of understanding of China and Chinese youth.

I do agree that the sciences are currently undervalued in American culture, though.

splitbrain

Postby splitbrain » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:32 pm

Tom Joad wrote:Well it is obvious he is trolling and his name makes me laugh every single time.

Crap...he got me.

:::Facepalm:::

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:41 pm

barrotmartin wrote:
Drake014 wrote:
crazi4law wrote:On average, all things equal, Asians need to have a higher GPA and SAT score than whites to get admitted to the same university on the undergraduate level. I am guessing its the same situation for law school admissions? If so, roughly how much higher of a GPA and LSAT score does an Asian need to get into T14 law schools? Specifically, I am aiming for Columbia.

This is wrong.

It's not necessarily wrong. This is mostly a human interest story about Asian Americans applying to undergrad, but there's some numbers as well.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/0 ... 28037.html

edit, typo.

First, I noticed they indicated this is a problem with Ivy League schools, which doesn't include most of the top law schools.

However, more important it does include some good numbers... for undergrad. It doesn't concern itself with grad schools. Law schools rankings depend heavily on the LSAT and GPA scores of those admitted. I need to see some evidence to support the same bias for law schools. Whereas there are a shit ton of candidates with high SAT scores, the LSAT doesn't work that way.

t14fanboy

Postby t14fanboy » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:48 pm

luthersloan wrote:I think at the law school level it is going to have the same effect as being white.

+1 End of thread.

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:48 pm

I think more than getting into law schools, I think the real barrier may be getting into firms / partner positions as the old guard may be more rigid in their stereotypes.

barrotmartin

Postby barrotmartin » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:07 am

Drake014 wrote:
barrotmartin wrote:
Drake014 wrote:
crazi4law wrote:On average, all things equal, Asians need to have a higher GPA and SAT score than whites to get admitted to the same university on the undergraduate level. I am guessing its the same situation for law school admissions? If so, roughly how much higher of a GPA and LSAT score does an Asian need to get into T14 law schools? Specifically, I am aiming for Columbia.

This is wrong.

It's not necessarily wrong. This is mostly a human interest story about Asian Americans applying to undergrad, but there's some numbers as well.

edit, typo.

First, I noticed they indicated this is a problem with Ivy League schools, which doesn't include most of the top law schools.

However, more important it does include some good numbers... for undergrad. It doesn't concern itself with grad schools. Law schools rankings depend heavily on the LSAT and GPA scores of those admitted. I need to see some evidence to support the same bias for law schools. Whereas there are a shit ton of candidates with high SAT scores, the LSAT doesn't work that way.

Ah. I thought you were disagreeing with Crazi4law's statement about undergrad.

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:12 pm

barrotmartin wrote:
Drake014 wrote:
barrotmartin wrote:
Drake014 wrote:
This is wrong.

edit, typo.

Ah. I thought you were disagreeing with Crazi4law's statement about undergrad.

My bad, I can see how you got that impression. I should have specified I was disagreeing with his law school statement.

ahnhub

Postby ahnhub » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:35 pm

If there were any kind of disadvantage at all, you would think it would show up at schools with more subjective admissions practices. But actually the opposite is the case:

Harvard, the ultimate numbers-whore school, seems to admit a slightly lower % of Asian applicants (like 10-12%) as opposed to Yale (like 11-13%). A tiny difference, but it shows you Asians aren't being admitted at a lower rate to schools who really care about your background, accomplishments, diversity, etc.

FantasticMrFox

Postby FantasticMrFox » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:50 pm

thelawyler wrote:I think more than getting into law schools, I think the real barrier may be getting into firms / partner positions as the old guard may be more rigid in their stereotypes.

I agree with this; I doubt the school has as much discrepancies as UG but with jobs? be ready to hit that bamboo ceiling

ahnhub

Postby ahnhub » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:52 pm

FantasticMrFox wrote:
thelawyler wrote:I think more than getting into law schools, I think the real barrier may be getting into firms / partner positions as the old guard may be more rigid in their stereotypes.

I agree with this; I doubt the school has as much discrepancies as UG but with jobs? be ready to hit that bamboo ceiling

You know what, I think the onus has to largely be on the Asians who end up working in firms. Old white men may be all sorts of crazy, but if they think an Asian can make them money as a partner they're gonna make them a partner. Anything short of that--education, enlightenment, etc.--ain't gonna cut it.

FantasticMrFox

Postby FantasticMrFox » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:02 pm

ahnhub wrote:
FantasticMrFox wrote:

You know what, I think the onus has to largely be on the Asians who end up working in firms. Old white men may be all sorts of crazy, but if they think an Asian can make them money as a partner they're gonna make them a partner. Anything short of that--education, enlightenment, etc.--ain't gonna cut it.

of course the onus is on the "worker"--no one was saying that whites are hired just because they are white but the bamboo ceiling does exist, especially in the corporate world and firms.

barrotmartin

Postby barrotmartin » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:46 pm

related:
"... The bottom line is that Asian American lawyers thin out at the top. In fact, they are losing ground, says the NYCB study: "Over multiple periods of tracking the diversity benchmark data, the representation of Asian attorneys consistently declined with increasing levels." The study says that, among minority lawyers, they represented 55 percent of associates, 49 percent of partners, and 36 percent of practice group heads, as of March 2010.

What's puzzling about the data, says Lisa Levey, who led the NYCB research, is that there's no obvious reason for the consistent decline of Asians in the upper ranks. Unlike women who bail out of the profession in greater numbers, "Asians have attrition rates that parallel the overall rate," says Levey. Logically, then, Asians should be rising through the system. ..."

http://thecareerist.typepad.com/thecare ... wyers.html

Errzii

Postby Errzii » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:58 pm

Is there a disadvantage for being Asian in LS admissions?

For LS admission purposes there is no such thing as a disadvantage for being anything. Only advantages for being something, i.e., URM.

On another note, I'm Asian and this thread is pretty retarded.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”