Disadvantage in being Asian in law school admissions?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
crazi4law
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:21 am

Disadvantage in being Asian in law school admissions?

Postby crazi4law » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:55 am

On average, all things equal, Asians need to have a higher GPA and SAT score than whites to get admitted to the same university on the undergraduate level. I am guessing its the same situation for law school admissions? If so, roughly how much higher of a GPA and LSAT score does an Asian need to get into T14 law schools? Specifically, I am aiming for Columbia.
Last edited by crazi4law on Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Disadvantage in being Asian in law school admissions?

Postby cinephile » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:04 am

No, I don't think so.

Also, you can choose not to report your race if you'd like.

luthersloan
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 6:43 pm

Re: Disadvantage in being Asian in law school admissions?

Postby luthersloan » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:06 am

I think at the law school level it is going to have the same effect as being white.

ahnhub
Posts: 578
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:14 pm

Re: Disadvantage in being Asian in law school admissions?

Postby ahnhub » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:14 am

Asians are somewhat over-represented in law schools (especially elite law schools), but not nearly as over-represented as they are in prestigious undergrad schools and medical schools. There is a very slight bias--I believe Asians generally have almost identical LSATs to whites (maybe like a .5 point lower, 152.5-152), and significantly higher GPAs, yet they are admitted at a slightly lower rate (74% of white applicants receive admittance to a school, while 68% of Asians do).

This is nothing like the bias Asians face in med and undergrad, though--partly because there are so many more Asians vying to get into those (for some reason law has never been as popular a choice among Asians), and because Asian academic credentials are much more similar to Caucasians' credentials among law school applicants.

At the top schools, I honestly believe the difference is negligible. If you have the numbers you should get in. I have seen Asian-American profiles on LSN and they behave exactly according to the numbers. Everyone with a 175/3.8 is getting into Columbia. Everyone with straight As and a 1550 on the SAT is not getting into Harvard undergrad. It's kinda why I sorta enjoy the law school admission process--it feels like a truly objective process, albeit one based on a dumb-ass test.

BigTimeJewLawyer2B
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:56 pm

Re: Disadvantage in being Asian in law school admissions?

Postby BigTimeJewLawyer2B » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:33 pm

cinephile wrote:No, I don't think so.

Also, you can choose not to report your race if you'd like.

That might work, unless his/her name was something like "Choo Sing Wah" or "Wing Tang Too."
I agree, though, ridiculous thread.

User avatar
hoos89
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:09 pm

Re: Disadvantage in being Asian in law school admissions?

Postby hoos89 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:37 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
barrotmartin
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:19 pm

Re: Disadvantage in being Asian in law school admissions?

Postby barrotmartin » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:37 pm

I make goo goo ga ga sounds as general short hand for other people's names.

User avatar
Jaeger
Posts: 391
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:30 pm

Re: Disadvantage in being Asian in law school admissions?

Postby Jaeger » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:17 pm

ahnhub wrote:Asians are somewhat over-represented in law schools (especially elite law schools), but not nearly as over-represented as they are in prestigious undergrad schools and medical schools. There is a very slight bias--I believe Asians generally have almost identical LSATs to whites (maybe like a .5 point lower, 152.5-152), and significantly higher GPAs, yet they are admitted at a slightly lower rate (74% of white applicants receive admittance to a school, while 68% of Asians do).

This is nothing like the bias Asians face in med and undergrad, though--partly because there are so many more Asians vying to get into those (for some reason law has never been as popular a choice among Asians), and because Asian academic credentials are much more similar to Caucasians' credentials among law school applicants.

At the top schools, I honestly believe the difference is negligible. If you have the numbers you should get in. I have seen Asian-American profiles on LSN and they behave exactly according to the numbers. Everyone with a 175/3.8 is getting into Columbia. Everyone with straight As and a 1550 on the SAT is not getting into Harvard undergrad. It's kinda why I sorta enjoy the law school admission process--it feels like a truly objective process, albeit one based on a dumb-ass test.



Because they're smart.

User avatar
westinghouse60
Posts: 392
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:27 am

Re: Disadvantage in being Asian in law school admissions?

Postby westinghouse60 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:23 pm

Jaeger wrote:
ahnhub wrote:Asians are somewhat over-represented in law schools (especially elite law schools), but not nearly as over-represented as they are in prestigious undergrad schools and medical schools. There is a very slight bias--I believe Asians generally have almost identical LSATs to whites (maybe like a .5 point lower, 152.5-152), and significantly higher GPAs, yet they are admitted at a slightly lower rate (74% of white applicants receive admittance to a school, while 68% of Asians do).

This is nothing like the bias Asians face in med and undergrad, though--partly because there are so many more Asians vying to get into those (for some reason law has never been as popular a choice among Asians), and because Asian academic credentials are much more similar to Caucasians' credentials among law school applicants.

At the top schools, I honestly believe the difference is negligible. If you have the numbers you should get in. I have seen Asian-American profiles on LSN and they behave exactly according to the numbers. Everyone with a 175/3.8 is getting into Columbia. Everyone with straight As and a 1550 on the SAT is not getting into Harvard undergrad. It's kinda why I sorta enjoy the law school admission process--it feels like a truly objective process, albeit one based on a dumb-ass test.


Because they're smart.


+ 1 lol. And if whites were good at teh sciences like Asians are, they'd probably also try to go to med school more frequently rather than graduate with a liberal arts degree and go the law school route.

User avatar
Drake014
Posts: 886
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:22 pm

Re: Disadvantage in being Asian in law school admissions?

Postby Drake014 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:37 pm

crazi4law wrote:On average, all things equal, Asians need to have a higher GPA and SAT score than whites to get admitted to the same university on the undergraduate level. I am guessing its the same situation for law school admissions? If so, roughly how much higher of a GPA and LSAT score does an Asian need to get into T14 law schools? Specifically, I am aiming for Columbia.


This is wrong.

BigTimeJewLawyer2B
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:56 pm

Re: Disadvantage in being Asian in law school admissions?

Postby BigTimeJewLawyer2B » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:51 pm

westinghouse60 wrote:+ 1 lol. And if whites were good at teh sciences like Asians are, they'd probably also try to go to med school more frequently rather than graduate with a liberal arts degree and go the law school route.

Agree 100%-while American school kids are sitting around playing Wii, wasting time on Facebook and Twitter, and getting obese at record rates, Chinese kids are doing Calculus and their parents are buying our debt.

Before long, we'll all be speaking Chinese

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: Disadvantage in being Asian in law school admissions?

Postby Crowing » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:56 pm

.
Last edited by Crowing on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
sach1282
Posts: 330
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:50 pm

Re: Disadvantage in being Asian in law school admissions?

Postby sach1282 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:04 pm

crazi4law wrote:Is there a disadvantage in being Asian in law school admissions?


No.

User avatar
westinghouse60
Posts: 392
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:27 am

Re: Disadvantage in being Asian in law school admissions?

Postby westinghouse60 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:33 pm

BigTimeJewLawyer2B wrote:
westinghouse60 wrote:+ 1 lol. And if whites were good at teh sciences like Asians are, they'd probably also try to go to med school more frequently rather than graduate with a liberal arts degree and go the law school route.

Agree 100%-while American school kids are sitting around playing Wii, wasting time on Facebook and Twitter, and getting obese at record rates, Chinese kids are doing Calculus and their parents are buying our debt.

Before long, we'll all be speaking Chinese


Heh, I am doing both of these right now.

User avatar
barrotmartin
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:19 pm

Re: Disadvantage in being Asian in law school admissions?

Postby barrotmartin » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:55 pm

Drake014 wrote:
crazi4law wrote:On average, all things equal, Asians need to have a higher GPA and SAT score than whites to get admitted to the same university on the undergraduate level. I am guessing its the same situation for law school admissions? If so, roughly how much higher of a GPA and LSAT score does an Asian need to get into T14 law schools? Specifically, I am aiming for Columbia.


This is wrong.


It's not necessarily wrong. This is mostly a human interest story about Asian Americans applying to undergrad, but there's some numbers as well.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/0 ... 28037.html

edit, typo.
Last edited by barrotmartin on Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
barrotmartin
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:19 pm

Re: Disadvantage in being Asian in law school admissions?

Postby barrotmartin » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:57 pm

BigTimeJewLawyer2B wrote:
westinghouse60 wrote:+ 1 lol. And if whites were good at teh sciences like Asians are, they'd probably also try to go to med school more frequently rather than graduate with a liberal arts degree and go the law school route.

Agree 100%-while American school kids are sitting around playing Wii, wasting time on Facebook and Twitter, and getting obese at record rates, Chinese kids are doing Calculus and their parents are buying our debt.

Before long, we'll all be speaking Chinese


Alarmist. And you should probably be speaking Chinese already since over 1 billion people in the world speak some kind of it.

col.faith
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:57 am

Re: Disadvantage in being Asian in law school admissions?

Postby col.faith » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:04 pm

<-- Asian decided to go to law school with a B.Comm. We are too gifted in science subjects; going to business school or med school would make it too easy for us :lol:

User avatar
pupshaw
Posts: 504
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:08 pm

Re: Disadvantage in being Asian in law school admissions?

Postby pupshaw » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:09 pm

BigTimeJewLawyer2B wrote:
cinephile wrote:No, I don't think so.

Also, you can choose not to report your race if you'd like.

That might work, unless his/her name was something like "Choo Sing Wah" or "Wing Tang Too."
I agree, though, ridiculous thread.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

User avatar
banjo
Posts: 1345
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:00 pm

Re: Disadvantage in being Asian in law school admissions?

Postby banjo » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:50 pm

ahnhub wrote:for some reason law has never been as popular a choice among Asians


I've noticed this too. In many of the countries Asian parents are originally from, law is not considered a very prestigious occupation. There are several reasons for this, but the end result is that Asian immigrants are less likely to encourage / pressure their children into law.

User avatar
moneybagsphd
Posts: 889
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: Disadvantage in being Asian in law school admissions?

Postby moneybagsphd » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:41 pm

westinghouse60 wrote:+ 1 lol. And if whites were good at teh sciences like Asians are, they'd probably also try to go to med school more frequently rather than graduate with a liberal arts degree and go the law school route.

You're forgetting Jews and Germans, dude.

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Disadvantage in being Asian in law school admissions?

Postby acrossthelake » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:43 pm

BigTimeJewLawyer2B wrote:
cinephile wrote:No, I don't think so.

Also, you can choose not to report your race if you'd like.

That might work, unless his/her name was something like "Choo Sing Wah" or "Wing Tang Too."
I agree, though, ridiculous thread.


barrotmartin wrote:I make goo goo ga ga sounds as general short hand for other people's names.

User avatar
westinghouse60
Posts: 392
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:27 am

Re: Disadvantage in being Asian in law school admissions?

Postby westinghouse60 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:55 pm

moneybagsphd wrote:
westinghouse60 wrote:+ 1 lol. And if whites were good at teh sciences like Asians are, they'd probably also try to go to med school more frequently rather than graduate with a liberal arts degree and go the law school route.

You're forgetting Jews and Germans, dude.


So Einstein really hit the jackpot, huh?

Edit: realized Schrodinger wasn't Jewish lol
Last edited by westinghouse60 on Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

062914123
Posts: 1846
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:11 pm

Re: Disadvantage in being Asian in law school admissions?

Postby 062914123 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:57 pm

.
Last edited by 062914123 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Disadvantage in being Asian in law school admissions?

Postby Tom Joad » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:59 pm

BigTimeJewLawyer2B wrote:
westinghouse60 wrote:+ 1 lol. And if whites were good at teh sciences like Asians are, they'd probably also try to go to med school more frequently rather than graduate with a liberal arts degree and go the law school route.

Agree 100%-while American school kids are sitting around playing Wii, wasting time on Facebook and Twitter, and getting obese at record rates, Chinese kids are doing Calculus and their parents are buying our debt.

Before long, we'll all be speaking Chinese

I love this poster.

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Disadvantage in being Asian in law school admissions?

Postby acrossthelake » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:00 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
BigTimeJewLawyer2B wrote:
westinghouse60 wrote:+ 1 lol. And if whites were good at teh sciences like Asians are, they'd probably also try to go to med school more frequently rather than graduate with a liberal arts degree and go the law school route.

Agree 100%-while American school kids are sitting around playing Wii, wasting time on Facebook and Twitter, and getting obese at record rates, Chinese kids are doing Calculus and their parents are buying our debt.

Before long, we'll all be speaking Chinese

I love this poster.


...why?




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], mm2368 and 4 guests