Deferring a year at UC Berkeley Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Real Madrid

Silver

Deferring a year at UC Berkeley

Post by Real Madrid » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:00 am

Anyone know how strict or lenient Berkeley is with deferral requests? I am living abroad and potentially interested in deferring but interested to know of others' past experiences.

Redamon1

Bronze

Re: Deferring a year at UC Berkeley

Post by Redamon1 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:54 am

Can't provide any sort of comprehensive assessment but I deferred last year... It's probably best to make your request earlier in the cycle so the admissions office has plenty of time to tap into the waitlist. I deferred primarily for personal reasons but also explained all the great professional things I would be doing with the extra year (all of which were true). With sufficient lead time and justification, you've got a chance. And of course, ask nicely. Good luck! Sorry not to see you in c/o 2015!

Real Madrid

Silver

Post by Real Madrid » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:22 pm

Thanks so much! I feel like I have a decent enough reason, but my real concern is that I'm not 100% set on Berkeley yet - still waiting on financial aid information (any scholarship from Berkeley would probably seal the deal). At this point I'm like 70-30 in favor of Berkeley, so don't I have to wait until I know for sure before I can request a deferral (since it's binding)?

Redamon1

Bronze

Post by Redamon1 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:31 pm

Yes, it's binding so you need to know B is your top choice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”