Addendum for missing one Semester?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jamie3

Addendum for missing one Semester?

Postby jamie3 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:30 am

Should I include an addendum to every school for missing one semester of college. No school has actually asked me for this addendum, however, the question is asked always in the education section of the law school application. I always answer yes, but I am not sure if this will necessitate an addendum?

Some schools don't even have a place to include the addendum so I have wondered if I have been providing them with unnecessary information.

Thank you for you help

pupshaw

Re: Addendum for missing one Semester?

Postby pupshaw » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:39 pm

I included a brief addendum explaining this. I figured that since they ask, it's best to explain.

jamie3

Postby jamie3 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Thanks, I could not find the specific answer to this question. I have also noticed that people added the addendum, however, I have never seen it be required in any application?

So I wondered if sending it would be a good idea, especially if the addendum might bring about a negative perception.

KingsBench

Postby KingsBench » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:40 pm

Could you give us some details - what exactly do you mean by "negative perception"?

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:42 pm

jamie3 wrote:Thanks, I could not find the specific answer to this question. I have also noticed that people added the addendum, however, I have never seen it be required in any application?

So I wondered if sending it would be a good idea, especially if the addendum might bring about a negative perception.

Generally, you should include an addendum to explain something that someone would want to ask about after reading your application. You want them to feel like they've got a complete file on hand; they also tend to assume the worst (or the common explanation) if you leave a 'blank'.

That being said, what do you mean by bringing about a negative perception?

jamie3

Postby jamie3 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:05 pm

I was referring to the possibility of submitting an addendum that was looked upon negatively, as if you were whining, or simply trying to excuse something that was inexcusable.

The other possibility that I can think of is the likelihood that they might simply miss the question and writing an addendum for it will bring it to light, whereas not saying anything could be beneficial.

Then I was also thinking about the applications that don't even offer a place to put an addendum that isn't for a criminal event or character and fitness flaw. I have the feeling that offering an addendum in this case looks like you have a criminal record, especially if the application officer only skims your application and only notices that you included an addendum but doesn't bother to read it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”