How much should I say about a crisis...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
avd90

How much should I say about a crisis...

Postby avd90 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:09 pm

Hey guys,

So I'm currently writing a letter to the NYU admissions committee regarding my first semester grades and LSAT score. I have a 3.89 GPA, but last semester my grades dipped--my GPA was a 3.7. While this might not seem bad to most people, I received 2 A's, 2 A-'s and a B+. I have NEVER gotten below an A- in college.

I do, however, have credible "excuse."--my dad went to prison for 66 months on halloween last semester. It was really really hard on me, and my grades definitely suffered. I for sure plan on telling this to NYU (I wrote my PS on this, and GTOWN already commented on how they enjoyed the topic etc), so the cat's out of the bag, so to speak. My question is, should I also say that this is one of the reasons my LSAT score was on the lower side?

I don't want to sound like I'm making too many excuses, and I don't want them to look badly upon my application. But the truth is, my dad going away really hurt my study process for December, and December was my only LSAT.

Do you think NYU would take this as a negative, or would it maybe make them look more sympathetically upon my lower LSAT? NYU is my TOP choice, to the point that I might retake in June and reapply if I get rejected. I just want some good advice! PM if you want, or post here whatevs.

Stonewall

Re: How much should I say about a crisis...

Postby Stonewall » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:16 pm

How about not making two threads for the same thing

dolfan0516

Postby dolfan0516 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:16 pm

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:18 pm

Congrats on the great first semester GPA. I don't believe I ever had a single quarter with a GPA that high.

No addendum necessary. If you feel like the LSAT won't get you where you want to be you need to retake it. Obviously your situation is a tough one, but that's why they give you three chances.

avd90

Postby avd90 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:19 pm

Stonewall wrote:How about not making two threads for the same thing

I was just trying to get to both the URM and regular applicants. Lo siento

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:20 pm

I don't think the drop is substantial enough to warrant an addendum.

avd90

Postby avd90 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:23 pm

thanks guys, sorry for the neuroses. it was just a really, really SHITTY semester all around, and since I don't know anyone who has a similar situation I wanted to reach out. so I know it doesn't sound like a big thing, and I sound crazy, but it's nice to get the advice. thanks guys!

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:28 pm

You're still going to be around their 75th for GPA so it shouldn't be too big of an issue. It's certainly not addendum-worthy. As for the LSAT addendum, that addendum would be a retake, especially if you only took it once.

Smumps

Postby Smumps » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:19 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:Congrats on the great first semester GPA. I don't believe I ever had a single quarter with a GPA that high.

I laughed. Then sighed. I've never had a quarter GPA that high in college. Or high school. Or middle. or elementary.

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:08 pm

Lol I asked a similar question when I first applied. Only on TLS<3. You (and I) got the answers we deserved :P

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”