LOCI TYPO

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gravityrides0

LOCI TYPO

Postby gravityrides0 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:13 pm

Shit. I just realized that a LOCI I sent has a major typo. I wrote the word "that" twice. It looks sooo stupid. Do you think anyone would notice and look down upon it? Should I email them apologizing for the typo and re-attching the letter? Help :(

Guchster

Re: LOCI TYPO

Postby Guchster » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:16 pm

gravityrides0 wrote:Shit. I just realized that a LOCI I sent has a major typo. I wrote the word "that" twice. It looks sooo stupid. Do you think anyone would notice and look down upon it? Should I email them apologizing for the typo and re-attching the letter? Help :(

I'm sorry for your stupid mistake. Sending an apology email with an edit is going to bring up more attention about your error than necessary.

They will probably notice and they will look down on it. Swallow it, move on with your life. You're probs not going to get rejected for this mistake alone so I wouldn't freak out too much.

gravityrides0

Postby gravityrides0 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:29 pm

:(

gravityrides0

Postby gravityrides0 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:22 pm

Anyone else? Sorry, I'm now really stressed about it. the letter was to my first choice... is the consensus not to correct it?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:49 pm

They are for damn sure going to notice if you try and correct it. They may not notice if you don't.

gravityrides0

Postby gravityrides0 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:59 pm

kalvano wrote:They are for damn sure going to notice if you try and correct it. They may not notice if you don't.

The rest of it is flawless and well-written, so I am hoping they're more likely to forgive the typo. I didn't do anything scary like name the wrong school or use the wrong "there/their" or something. it's just a repeat word... I'm mostly nervous it will stand out because it is in the first paragraph.

pret

Postby pret » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:40 am

Microsoft Word should point out repeat words. What program do you use?

dixon02

Postby dixon02 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:53 am

pret wrote:Microsoft Word should point out repeat words. What program do you use?

"that that" is sometimes grammatically correct, so it might not have caught it.

There's nothing you can do. What do you expect to happen if you e-mail them? They know you didn't mean to do it and it's a typo...that's the entire problem. They're not going to think that you have poor grammar or are a bad writer, they're going to think that you didn't proofread carefully enough (not trying to sound harsh, that's just reality). There is just nothing to benefit from e-mailing them.

Keep your fingers crossed and hope they don't notice. There's nothing you can do about it now. FWIW, I did the same thing when I applied and couldn't sleep b/c of it. I'm not going to lie and say I got in anyway, but I was a long shot to get in in the first place (right at the 25th percentile LSAT). I'm still really happy where I am now and never even think about it. Life goes on. You'll be fine.

junaman

Postby junaman » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:12 am

I accidentally sent an incorrect version of my PS to one school (where I specifically name another school) and emailed them the correct version where basically nothing was changed but the name of the school. They said they would add it to the file, but that they would read both. I was still accepted.

danielhay11

Postby danielhay11 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:34 pm

Perhaps they will assume you were repeating "that" for emphasis or cadence, a la Kanye.

I think it's important to remember that admissions counselors are human and, like you, have let minor typos slip. Just take a deep breath and resist the urge to correct your mistake. Odds are they won't even notice and, even if they do, I doubt they'll care. They wouldn't turn away a qualified applicant (and $150,000 in tuition) over one minor typo.

gravityrides0

Postby gravityrides0 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:43 pm

Yeah, What's done is done. If I correct it, I will probably just appear neurotic and paranoid. And yes, I think MS word didn't underline the typo because sometimes "that that" can appear together (i.e. "I thought that that shirt was brand new"). I just feel stupid that I missed it. I just hope that the typo being in the first paragraph doesn't keep them from taking the rest of the letter seriously.

junaman: I think you were smart in correcting yours. if I had made that mistake, I would have corrected it, too. In that case, you kind of have to...

I guess I'll leave it. Thanks everyone, I feel a bit better about it.

Postby 20160810 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:48 pm

The odds that your LOCI will matter at all are low. The odds that your LOCI would get you in but for that type-o are vanishingly low. Don't worry about it. Have a beer.

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:07 pm

FYI, I literally had one typo in almost every email I sent out to schools after I applied (including the latest one). Whether it was asking a simple question or answering one of their owns. Not only has my cycle been going as my numbers would suggest it would, but I've been getting pretty decent $$$ offers too.

In the end: I think it makes absolutely no differences.

Yeah, it's stupid. But 'tis life.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”