Columbia Law vs. BU $$$

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
destrou27

Columbia Law vs. BU $$$

Postby destrou27 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:55 am

For personal reasons-- I decided that Health Law is the field that I wish to pursue. With that in mind, medical malpractice/negligence/wrongful death/personal injury, etc... is what I will focus on. On that note, I noticed and fell in love with the program that Boston University has being Ranked 2nd in the US in Health Law. Would it be foolish to take BU over Columbia considering I plan on starting my own law firm practically straight out of law school and would prefer to have the least debt manageable. I believe the experience that I attain through BU's Health Law program would be more beneficial to me than my alumna's law school. I spoke to my friend who graduated from Yale and goes to Columbia's Business School and she told me that the best advice that her mom gave for lawyers is that "if you want to do your own thing then it doesn't matter which law school you go to." This is coming from a female that owns one of the largest law firms in New Haven after attending Vermont Law School. So, long story short-- how would one advise the decision to choose Columbia (full sticker) to BU (great scholly) also taking into consideration the passion that I have in Health Law (not so much for Health Care though). Also, Boston is a better location for my gf and I to relocate to as opposed to staying in NYC (closer to family for support). Big Law is ABSOLUTELY of NO interest to me and personally, my entrepreneurial background won't allow me to go any other route other than starting my own business. I'd much rather devote my passion, time and money into my own firm than in any other field for any other person. Any advice? Thank you for reading the post.

Jaeger

Re: Columbia Law vs. BU $$$

Postby Jaeger » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:12 am

Sounds like you answered any question you may have had.

But cool story bro?

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:18 am

destrou27 wrote: I plan on starting my own law firm practically straight out of law school

I'm not sure that's possible. Law school doesn't really train you to practice.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:45 am

cinephile wrote:
destrou27 wrote: I plan on starting my own law firm practically straight out of law school

It's possible, but he needs to be prepared to not make a profit for a few years unless he does something non-law on the side (or vice versa).

destrou27

Postby destrou27 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:48 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
cinephile wrote:

It's possible, but he needs to be prepared to not make a profit for a few years unless he does something non-law on the side (or vice versa).

Agreed. Which is why I do not want to be in a lot of debt when I'm out of law school. And realistically, I would not want to practice unless I feel like I am at least good(decent) or knowledgeable in the field that the case will be; so, I will be interning at the firm that is settling my brother's case in an attempt to gain as much experience as possible throughout the next 4 years. True, I won't have as much experience as I would like to have straight out of law school, but I plan to make up for some of that in other ways.

I appreciate the posts.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:56 pm

While BU's health law program is fantastic, I would not take BU over Columbia without full ride + stipend. Even then, Columbia is a much better school and if you want to clerk or work for a big firm then its slam dunk C. Ultimately if you think you're going to open your own firm (yikes), then I guess debt is the #1 concern... but thats a hard life.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:58 pm

cinephile wrote:

It's possible, it's just a terrible idea without a preexisting legal network.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:12 pm

I should've said it isn't practical, not that it isn't possible. Still think you'd be better off working for a small med-mal firm for a few years.

Also, I'd take Columbia. You never know what may change down the line and you might want the flexibility.

destrou27

Postby destrou27 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:14 pm

cinephile wrote:I should've said it isn't practical, not that it isn't possible. Still think you'd be better off working for a small med-mal firm for a few years.

Also, I'd take Columbia. You never know what may change down the line and you might want the flexibility.

Although I appreciate your reply-- I feel as if flexibility is something that I do not want to even have in my mind. To be among the best at anything you do-- you need to have a sheer focus and the determination to be the best at what you do. By wanting to have something flexible-- I am already cutting myself short in regards to having faith that I will be among the best at what I do. With that in mind, I believe that it is important to keep the eyes on the prize and stay determined to achieve the goal of owning a successful personal injury law firm-- and to do that I must have faith and not change down the line but progress throughout the existence of that line. I do, however, agree with the notion of working for a small med-mal firm for a few years; however, I would like to gain that "experience" while I am in the 3 years of law and possibly one year (tops) after law school). I know for all practical purposes that the allotted time may not be long enough- but if I do want to be the best when it comes to medical malpractice/negligence/wrongful death... I don't want to sell my short and even consider possible avenues. Focus and determination-- starting my own firm and making it successful is as realistic as a boy growing up with nothing and getting into Columbia University. It is all about the drive and the willingness to not stop at anything to make it happen. Thank you again for the posts and feedback. I don't want to seem stubborn that my mind is made up to only go to Boston University over CLS, but I would like the reasoning for Columbia over BU to be based more on ways to benefit the creation of my law firm more so than the big law status about it (I do not want big Law, at all).

destrou27

Postby destrou27 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:29 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
cinephile wrote:

It's possible, it's just a terrible idea without a preexisting legal network.

When it comes to business-- location is everything. This is why I will choose to base my foundation in the home that raised me and network my legal market through peers and family. That is the business end of it (yes it will be difficult) but if you are referring to a legal network meaning through the school-- then BU has the largest association for Health Lawyers in the Country, I believe that since my field will be in the Health Law department then having the credentials from a proven highly ranked department is important in both networking, possible future associates, and building trust with clients that this was a field where my heart was at from the beginning. Connecting to the client on many different levels is a great way to create a legal network for business purposes-- but I have no doubt in my mind that BU's legal network for Health Lawyers is comparable if not better than the network I would gain from Columbia's network. Most of my friends attend the Ugrad and I have a few friends that go to the law school-- and the interesting consensus that we found out is that the network you create is much more effective than the preexisting network of alums. The people that you meet while going to the school are the true networks. This is my opinion though- so don't take everything that I say as the WORD, but this is the feeling that myself and other graduating seniors here have felt since being here. So to cut this long reply short-- I agree completely that it is indeed a terrible idea without a preexisting legal network. I appreciate the reply though (truthfully)-- they say that Haters are unpaid business consultants--- they point out all of your flaws for free... and that is not to call you a hater, it is simply saying that what you are saying is completely valid and in order to succeed I have to fix and acknowledge aspects of the business like that. Thanks again.

FryBreadPower

Postby FryBreadPower » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:35 pm

Why do people start these threads if they have already made up their minds?

If you have a response to any little bit of advice advocating you go to Columbia then /thread.

destrou27

Postby destrou27 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:05 pm

I said-- if someone could give a reasoning on why I should go to Columbia instead of BU in regards to it benefiting me starting a law firm then I will listen, but I don't want to choose Columbia because it allows me to be more flexible and/or allow me to pursue big law. I am open to listen and this is the reason why I created this post with hopes to gain a new perspective that I may not have covered/touched upon. You can learn something from this method.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:07 pm

If you are absolutely 100% certain as to what you will want to do upon graduation, have no desire for biglaw, and don't even have a need for flexibility of options, then go with BU. It sounds like its where you want to be, so that should stand for something.

May I ask what the scholarship package is at BU? How much debt would you be left with?
Last edited by kaiser on Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:11 pm

Just go to BU since you don't want biglaw and are going to try for your own firm/healthlaw. Don't go to Vermont though (seriously, don't do it).

Starting a firm is going to be incredibly risky and you'll probably fail at it, so you should shoot to keep your debt very low now (while not going to a complete crap school in case you do try to get some sort of legal employment later).

nkp007

Postby nkp007 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:11 pm

Did you get into both schools?

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:11 pm

nkp007 wrote:Did you get into both schools?

Kid's a 3.9 URM (from Columbia). Chances are that (s)he got into both.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:13 pm

If you can get a free ride to a T13 then do that instead of BU.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”