Why Does WUSTL accept 2.4-2.5 GPAs???

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jared6180
Posts: 306
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:47 pm

Why Does WUSTL accept 2.4-2.5 GPAs???

Postby jared6180 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:14 am

I don't pretend to understand the Admissions process in great detail, but I look at WUSTL, a T20 school, and they are admitting a good number of sub 3.00 students, and even some 2.4-2.5 students. It doesn't appear they are URMs, and some are even getting $50k+ scholarship money. I am sitting right on the edge of a 3.0-3.1 with a Spring 2013 grad date, and I am wondering if I should just stop trying to raise my UG GPA and focus on the LSAT more. Let me also say I am NOT belittling the LSAT achievement needed for the $$$, I guess I just thought WUSTL had a little stronger GPA floor. Then again, I don't know how many people have been REJ or WL that I will never see post the fact on lawschoolnumbers. 168 really is a magic number!

http://washu.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1112/

If WUSTL offered me $50k to go I would be there in a heartbeat!

shoeshine
Posts: 1241
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 10:58 pm

Re: Why Does WUSTL accept 2.4-2.5 GPAs???

Postby shoeshine » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:17 am

.
Last edited by shoeshine on Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
L’Étranger
Posts: 315
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:27 am

Re: Why Does WUSTL accept 2.4-2.5 GPAs???

Postby L’Étranger » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:24 am

WUSTL is famous (notorious?) for accepting extreme splitters and actually NU does it too. These students typically have 170+ LSATs and so they pump up WUSTL's LSAT median which in turn pumps up their USNWR ranking.

jared6180
Posts: 306
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:47 pm

Re: Why Does WUSTL accept 2.4-2.5 GPAs???

Postby jared6180 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:35 am

It looks like its harder to get into Fordham http://fordham.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1112/ than WUSTL or Boston College http://bc.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats and yet WUSTL is ranked higher than both. Northwestern looks like a 175+ is needed with a 3.0 or less http://northwestern.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats.

It doesn't look right to me, but again, I am not familiar yet with admissions statistics, and averages.

I will say it gives me a bit more confidence going into the cycle this Fall at WUSTL.

User avatar
dproduct
Posts: 4087
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:58 pm

Re: Why Does WUSTL accept 2.4-2.5 GPAs???

Postby dproduct » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:53 am

jared6180 wrote:I don't pretend to understand the Admissions process in great detail, but I look at WUSTL, a T20 school, and they are admitting a good number of sub 3.00 students, and even some 2.4-2.5 students. It doesn't appear they are URMs, and some are even getting $50k+ scholarship money. I am sitting right on the edge of a 3.0-3.1 with a Spring 2013 grad date, and I am wondering if I should just stop trying to raise my UG GPA and focus on the LSAT more. Let me also say I am NOT belittling the LSAT achievement needed for the $$$, I guess I just thought WUSTL had a little stronger GPA floor. Then again, I don't know how many people have been REJ or WL that I will never see post the fact on lawschoolnumbers. 168 really is a magic number!

http://washu.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1112/

If WUSTL offered me $50k to go I would be there in a heartbeat!


Bottom 25th is bottom 25th. They fill it with URM's and extreme splitters. Get enough, your 75th's are high and your median is competitive with the schools around you. It's smart. While Berkeley and other schools are psychotic about grabbing "well-rounded" kids, WUSTL (NU is another big one) takes the outliers. There aren't enough 3.6/3.7 + 170s to go around. But there are enough splitters to even the playing field.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Why Does WUSTL accept 2.4-2.5 GPAs???

Postby rad lulz » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:54 am

jared6180 wrote:It looks like its harder to get into Fordham http://fordham.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1112/ than WUSTL or Boston College http://bc.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats and yet WUSTL is ranked higher than both.

Simple explanation: LSAT and GPA aren't determinative of ranking.

User avatar
Jaeger
Posts: 391
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:30 pm

Re: Why Does WUSTL accept 2.4-2.5 GPAs???

Postby Jaeger » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:16 am

jared6180 wrote:I don't pretend to understand the Admissions process in great detail, but I look at WUSTL, a T20 school, and they are admitting a good number of sub 3.00 students, and even some 2.4-2.5 students. It doesn't appear they are URMs, and some are even getting $50k+ scholarship money. I am sitting right on the edge of a 3.0-3.1 with a Spring 2013 grad date, and I am wondering if I should just stop trying to raise my UG GPA and focus on the LSAT more. Let me also say I am NOT belittling the LSAT achievement needed for the $$$, I guess I just thought WUSTL had a little stronger GPA floor. Then again, I don't know how many people have been REJ or WL that I will never see post the fact on lawschoolnumbers. 168 really is a magic number!

http://washu.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1112/

If WUSTL offered me $50k to go I would be there in a heartbeat!



No, do both, genius.

User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: Why Does WUSTL accept 2.4-2.5 GPAs???

Postby PDaddy » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:34 am

This should help:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub ... utput=html

Just remember that the closer you are to a school's GPA floor, the closer you need to be to a school's 75-99% LSAT and vice=versa. Think of it as a school's version of dollar-cost averaging.

User avatar
JusticeHarlan
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: Why Does WUSTL accept 2.4-2.5 GPAs???

Postby JusticeHarlan » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:10 am

shoeshine wrote:It is all about averaging out the reverse splitters and the splitters. It is what the Midwest T25 does.

ftfy

User avatar
TatteredDignity
Posts: 1520
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:06 am

Re: Why Does WUSTL accept 2.4-2.5 GPAs???

Postby TatteredDignity » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:15 pm

I don't totally know why, but i thank god they do.

User avatar
Cicero, Fin. III 16
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:30 am

Re: Why Does WUSTL accept 2.4-2.5 GPAs???

Postby Cicero, Fin. III 16 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:32 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:I don't totally know why, but i thank god they do.


+1

thetaxman
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:41 pm

Re: Why Does WUSTL accept 2.4-2.5 GPAs???

Postby thetaxman » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:47 pm

Because getting a 3.7+ in a liberal arts major doesn't prove you aren't a drooling imbecile, and neither does a 170+ LSAT but it makes a much better case.

jared6180
Posts: 306
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:47 pm

Re: Why Does WUSTL accept 2.4-2.5 GPAs???

Postby jared6180 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:24 pm

took a look at virginia, and at first glance it looks like a big cluster of applicants that doesn't make sense. http://uva.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1112/

Is it accurate to say a majority of the ADMITS are ED? Seems a bunch of the admits are 3-5months old if I am reading the chart correctly. If Virginia is the goal ED for sure it looks like!

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Why Does WUSTL accept 2.4-2.5 GPAs???

Postby rad lulz » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:33 pm

.
Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15525
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Why Does WUSTL accept 2.4-2.5 GPAs???

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:24 pm

jared6180 wrote:took a look at virginia, and at first glance it looks like a big cluster of applicants that doesn't make sense. http://uva.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1112/

Is it accurate to say a majority of the ADMITS are ED? Seems a bunch of the admits are 3-5months old if I am reading the chart correctly. If Virginia is the goal ED for sure it looks like!


UVA has a very formulaic ED process by which splitters and reverse splitters can get themselves in. They do have a GPA floor of about 3.0 though, so keep the GPA above that, get a 170 or better, and ED UVA.

User avatar
hoos89
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:09 pm

Re: Why Does WUSTL accept 2.4-2.5 GPAs???

Postby hoos89 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:21 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheZoid
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: Why Does WUSTL accept 2.4-2.5 GPAs???

Postby TheZoid » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:41 am

You absolutely want to try to keep your GPA above a 3.0. A lot of schools have GPA floors at 3.0, so it's a critical number to get above. Greater than a 3.0 and a good LSAT and you'll have some decent options. If you miss the 3.0 mark, a ton of good schools are taken off the table right away and you will regret the shit out of it. Not that WUSTL is a bad option, but you want to have as many as possible so you can make the decision that's best for you. I am 2.65/168 and got WUSTL with 48k, so it's definitely possible, but keep your options open as much as possible. GL to you.

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: Why Does WUSTL accept 2.4-2.5 GPAs???

Postby Sandro » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:19 pm

Why do some schools NOT accept 2.4/2.5 gpas? Its not like someone with a 3.1 is "better". 3.1 means you didnt try. 2.4 means you didnt try. Both numbers are going under their median/25th anyways.

User avatar
TatteredDignity
Posts: 1520
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:06 am

Re: Why Does WUSTL accept 2.4-2.5 GPAs???

Postby TatteredDignity » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:21 pm

They expect you to be a little smarter about how little you try. 2.5 is just bad. You should be able to slack your way to a 3.0

<<<<<< 2.4

jared6180
Posts: 306
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:47 pm

Re: Why Does WUSTL accept 2.4-2.5 GPAs???

Postby jared6180 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:41 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:They expect you to be a little smarter about how little you try. 2.5 is just bad. You should be able to slack your way to a 3.0

<<<<<< 2.4


I just didn't care my freshman year and had a 2.0. Took some time off to get my mind right, and decide what I wanted to be...took me a few years, and now I am working to get my GPA higher, sitting between a 3.0-3.1 now but only because I have worked hard and have a goal. I think a 3.0 should be a hard floor for MOST students, but there are always exceptions to every rule.

User avatar
johansantana21
Posts: 855
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:11 pm

Re: Why Does WUSTL accept 2.4-2.5 GPAs???

Postby johansantana21 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:42 pm

To game the median.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Why???, Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests