Dinged hard...year off?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dissonance1848

Re: Dinged hard...year off?

Postby dissonance1848 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:54 am

The OP has a 3.4/175. What the fuck is everyone talking about?! If the OP applies in early Sept., instead of early Dec., he can definitely land NYU, Mich, UVA, and Penn maybe (they YP like nuts unless ED). Chicago is also a good shot (with higher for ED). CLS probably needs ED.

OP, you got screwed by applying too late, by like three months, or there is something else really wrong with your application. Good luck.

t14fanboy

Postby t14fanboy » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:12 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:Go to Cornell absolutely. You can't bank on getting in at different places next cycle, even if you ED. And ED = paying sticker price--I don't think a T10 at sticker is worth it.

Cornell has good placement. Some prestige. Small class size. Low COL, and you might get a bit of a scholarship.

Didn't really read the thread too well, sorry if I'm off on my advice/missed the particulars of your situation. =)

Edit: rough tuition estimates for sticker at NYU $165 + rough COL $60 = 225 + interest. How much money can you realistically save to put a dent in that? Even if you get biglaw, it will take you a VERY long time to pay that off bro.

Has Cornell given you any $$$?

LMAO. This is such retarded advice.

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:38 pm

t14fanboy wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:Go to Cornell absolutely. You can't bank on getting in at different places next cycle, even if you ED. And ED = paying sticker price--I don't think a T10 at sticker is worth it.

Cornell has good placement. Some prestige. Small class size. Low COL, and you might get a bit of a scholarship.

Didn't really read the thread too well, sorry if I'm off on my advice/missed the particulars of your situation. =)

Edit: rough tuition estimates for sticker at NYU $165 + rough COL $60 = 225 + interest. How much money can you realistically save to put a dent in that? Even if you get biglaw, it will take you a VERY long time to pay that off bro.

I actually think I misread his LSAT last time. But still, if the option is Sticker at T10 vs. Cornell with some $$, I'd most likely take Cornell.

johnnybgood

Postby johnnybgood » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:00 pm

What does ding mean?

Postby 20130312 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:05 pm

johnnybgood wrote:What does ding mean?

Reject

westinghouse60

Postby westinghouse60 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:16 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:

Reject

I guess I titled the thread incorrectly in that case, because a string of WLs was what I got.
WhiteGuy5 wrote:
t14fanboy wrote:

I actually think I misread his LSAT last time. But still, if the option is Sticker at T10 vs. Cornell with some $$, I'd most likely take Cornell.

Hoping for Cornell/Vandy $$$ is what makes me hesitant to send a LOCI/ED email to UVA. Does anyone know how much it would hurt me to wait a few weeks until scholly offers come out send out an email like that to UVA?

Postby 20130312 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:22 pm

westinghouse60 wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:

Reject

I guess I titled the thread incorrectly in that case, because a string of WLs was what I got.

Lovin' is what I got.

westinghouse60

Postby westinghouse60 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:48 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
westinghouse60 wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:

Reject

Lovin' is what I got.

Lol I wish

UDFlyers90

Postby UDFlyers90 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:08 pm

I'm in the same boat as you, I'm a bit baffled at this point as to how my cycle has turned out. 3.1x gpa and a 175+ LSAT and am yet to crack a top 14, all I've seen is waitlist city. And while I expected to get tons of waitlists given my abysmal gpa, I thought I'd nab at least one acceptance. Is there any chance after you been waitlisted at UVA this late to switch to ED? would this change anything or would I just look desperate?

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:33 pm

UDFlyers90 wrote:I'm in the same boat as you, I'm a bit baffled at this point as to how my cycle has turned out. 3.1x gpa and a 175+ LSAT and am yet to crack a top 14, all I've seen is waitlist city. And while I expected to get tons of waitlists given my abysmal gpa, I thought I'd nab at least one acceptance. Is there any chance after you been waitlisted at UVA this late to switch to ED? would this change anything or would I just look desperate?

change to ED and you will receive an acceptance call within 72 hrs

admisionquestion

Postby admisionquestion » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:03 pm

sparty99 wrote:Your first mistake is going to law school so you can get into big-law....IF YOU WANT TO GET INTO BIG-LAW, YOU BETTER GET A FULL-RIDE because if you slip in class rank, you will be crushed with serious debt when all the big law firms reject you with no work experience and a low class rank......

Also, I'd be driving to VA and talking with admissinONS asap, so you can get off that wait-list. Start hammering all those schools with letters of interest. Also, that WashU scholarship is low...A 175? That should be a full-ride, start negotiating hard....

----------
This comment is ridiculous. Law school is a professional training program (regardless of debate about if the curriculum reflects this). As a professional school it is good and proper (i.e. not "a mistake" as you arrogantly assert) to attend in hopes of a particular career path. In the worst year of legal employment in recent history NLJ data says Cornell (For example) was placing 41 percent in big law. Add in A3 clerkships and self-select PI folks and its a bit better. While interviewing skills and other "softs" matter---this provides a very basic rubric to say if your better than the 59 percent of the class who is not getting big law then you should have a reasonable shot.

Of course one cannot be sure of their final ranking. So to continue analyzing why your claim that going to ls for bl is a "mistake" is wrong lets imagine one really ONLY wanted bl. Even if rank is not calculated publicly at that point it seems like you should have a firm idea of if your in the top quarter or not. If after your first semester your not in that section--drop out--and you will have a debt load of approximately 30G. Clearly that's terrible, but your not "crushed" by student loan debt... at 320 dollars a month you would have it paid off in 10 years. The gamble of of $30,000 for a 1/4 shot of a desired high payout career is not "a mistake." It might be a decision you frown upon.

Now of course, I am not suggesting OP take Cornell and then drop if they are not clearly headed for biglaw--there are lots of other better scenarios--my point is that your comment annoyed me.

UDFlyers90

Postby UDFlyers90 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:49 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:
UDFlyers90 wrote:I'm in the same boat as you, I'm a bit baffled at this point as to how my cycle has turned out. 3.1x gpa and a 175+ LSAT and am yet to crack a top 14, all I've seen is waitlist city. And while I expected to get tons of waitlists given my abysmal gpa, I thought I'd nab at least one acceptance. Is there any chance after you been waitlisted at UVA this late to switch to ED? would this change anything or would I just look desperate?

How would I go about doing this after being waitlisted? Just call them and say I'm dead set on UVA can I change my app to binding?

Samara

Postby Samara » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:59 pm

UDFlyers90 wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:

How would I go about doing this after being waitlisted? Just call them and say I'm dead set on UVA can I change my app to binding?

Pretty much? There should be instructions on the waitlist FAQ page, IIRC.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:04 pm

I never had this type of outlook when I was applying with my scores since they were a bit lower, but it is only March and the wait list game is just beginning. Send a deposit to Cornell to save your seat(I can't imagine Cornell being a terrible option) and then write an LOCI to one of those schools that you want to go to and tell them that you want to attend and that you will go if admitted.

I got into a school that I was wait listed at by calling them and talking to the dean. Maybe make a visit or something....

PolySuyGuy

Postby PolySuyGuy » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:14 pm

westinghouse60 wrote:Complete info about my cycle is here: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/westinghouse60 so I don't have to waste a lot of time detailing everything.

Was WL'd at UVA and Mich yesterday, Columbia and Penn Thursday.

What was your reason for withdrawing from schools you would like to attend?

TheBiggerMediocre

Postby TheBiggerMediocre » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:24 pm

start taking lsat's for rich kids at 20k a pop and go the highest ranked law school you can and use the money to bribe people to get your class rank high and you should be fine

PolySuyGuy

Postby PolySuyGuy » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:42 pm

TheBiggerMediocre wrote: bribe people to get your class rank high

I would like to know how feasible that is......

cloudhidden

Postby cloudhidden » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:21 pm

admisionquestion wrote:
sparty99 wrote:Your first mistake is going to law school so you can get into big-law....IF YOU WANT TO GET INTO BIG-LAW, YOU BETTER GET A FULL-RIDE because if you slip in class rank, you will be crushed with serious debt when all the big law firms reject you with no work experience and a low class rank......

Also, I'd be driving to VA and talking with admissinONS asap, so you can get off that wait-list. Start hammering all those schools with letters of interest. Also, that WashU scholarship is low...A 175? That should be a full-ride, start negotiating hard....

----------
This comment is ridiculous. Law school is a professional training program (regardless of debate about if the curriculum reflects this). As a professional school it is good and proper (i.e. not "a mistake" as you arrogantly assert) to attend in hopes of a particular career path. In the worst year of legal employment in recent history NLJ data says Cornell (For example) was placing 41 percent in big law. Add in A3 clerkships and self-select PI folks and its a bit better. While interviewing skills and other "softs" matter---this provides a very basic rubric to say if your better than the 59 percent of the class who is not getting big law then you should have a reasonable shot.

Of course one cannot be sure of their final ranking. So to continue analyzing why your claim that going to ls for bl is a "mistake" is wrong lets imagine one really ONLY wanted bl. Even if rank is not calculated publicly at that point it seems like you should have a firm idea of if your in the top quarter or not. If after your first semester your not in that section--drop out--and you will have a debt load of approximately 30G. Clearly that's terrible, but your not "crushed" by student loan debt... at 320 dollars a month you would have it paid off in 10 years. The gamble of of $30,000 for a 1/4 shot of a desired high payout career is not "a mistake." It might be a decision you frown upon.

Now of course, I am not suggesting OP take Cornell and then drop if they are not clearly headed for biglaw--there are lots of other better scenarios--my point is that your comment annoyed me.

Wouldn't OP be fine if they were in the top 1/4 to top 1/2 of class at that time? I am thinking if that were the case, then it would be a monumental mistake to drop.

admisionquestion

Postby admisionquestion » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:36 pm

cloudhidden wrote:
admisionquestion wrote:

----------

Wouldn't OP be fine if they were in the top 1/4 to top 1/2 of class at that time? I am thinking if that were the case, then it would be a monumental mistake to drop.

Fully agree---in fact id say in t14 its almost always a terrible idea to drop for non-personal reasons. I was just making the point that it is not a mistake to attend merely for big law.

theaether

Postby theaether » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:53 am

feelin' ya, 5 waitlists, and still 3 pending, for me so far http://lawschoolnumbers.com/aetherx

the target UVA strategy in this thread looks wise

UDFlyers90

Postby UDFlyers90 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:38 pm

theaether wrote:feelin' ya, 5 waitlists, and still 3 pending, for me so far http://lawschoolnumbers.com/aetherx

the target UVA strategy in this thread looks wise

Meant to post this earlier, I emailed admissions and asked to switch to early decision..was told that that I am not allowed to after a wait list offer is extended but that they will note a high level of interest on my application. Not sure how effective that will be..

alexonfyre

Postby alexonfyre » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:09 am

Is this thread actually full of "Take a year off, ED to UVA" advice?
I thought that was a myth.

admisionquestion

Postby admisionquestion » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:34 am

Why would that be a myth? or bad advice?

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:56 am

dissonance1848 wrote:The OP has a 3.4/175. What the fuck is everyone talking about?! If the OP applies in early Sept., instead of early Dec., he can definitely land NYU, Mich, UVA, and Penn maybe (they YP like nuts unless ED). Chicago is also a good shot (with higher for ED). CLS probably needs ED.

OP, you got screwed by applying too late, by like three months, or there is something else really wrong with your application. Good luck.

I wonder what others think of this advice? Does OP cycle seem off to anyone else or is the 3.4 just too low?

theaether

Postby theaether » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:10 am

sunynp wrote:
dissonance1848 wrote:The OP has a 3.4/175. What the fuck is everyone talking about?! If the OP applies in early Sept., instead of early Dec., he can definitely land NYU, Mich, UVA, and Penn maybe (they YP like nuts unless ED). Chicago is also a good shot (with higher for ED). CLS probably needs ED.

I wonder what others think of this advice? Does OP cycle seem off to anyone else or is the 3.4 just too low?

that advice is pretty spot on 3.4-3.5 is a soft floor for chi/cls, and is good enough with that LSAT pairing to get into several of the rest of the t14

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”