Overcoming Low GPA with Work Experience

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
perhapslawschool

Overcoming Low GPA with Work Experience

Postby perhapslawschool » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:55 pm

Let me start with a bit of background. I am a senior in a top undergrad business school right now. I have already signed my contract with Goldman Sachs; for the next 2 years I will be doing investment banking there. However, I think that I may want to go to law school after.

Here is the problem: my college GPA is really low, and I really want to shoot for a HLS school. My college GPA is low (about 3.65) because of only 3 semesters of poor performance. I had a medical condition that meant I couldn't really devote time to school. The other semesters are all fine with grades (lowest semester is a 3.85).

Assuming I get a really good LSAT score(I know, anything could happen, but lets just assume), like 172+, what are my chances of getting into HLS? Obviously the thing I worry the most about is my GPA hurting me. Would it be possible to overlook this fact, especially since I would have worked for 2 years at a top investment bank?

shoeshine

Re: Overcoming Low GPA with Work Experience

Postby shoeshine » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:01 pm

This thread makes too many assumptions about your future for me to take it seriously.

However, I did something similar to what you are attempting and I will say that the W/E bump does do something for you but it will not make up for GPA minimums. You have a shot at H with a stellar lsat score 173+ but I would not count on it.

BTW, your investment banking experience will give you a huge boost if you want to go into big law after law school.

perhapslawschool

Postby perhapslawschool » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:02 pm

I agree that I did make an assumption about my future LSAT score. However, that is the only assumption that I made, so I am not sure what you mean by me having a lot of them.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:05 pm

perhapslawschool wrote:I agree that I did make an assumption about my future LSAT score. However, that is the only assumption that I made, so I am not sure what you mean by me having a lot of them.

You also assume that you will be still interested in law school in two years.

perhapslawschool

Postby perhapslawschool » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:07 pm

lol that's true...but I think we have to make that assumption for obvious reasons...

Gail

Postby Gail » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:33 pm

The WE bump seems to be more relevant for OCI

Look at the legal employment subforum. I think one of the posters here made a google doc and you can definitely see that WE was beneficial.

Tadatsune

Postby Tadatsune » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:37 pm

In any case you should write an addendum explaining that your poor performance was due to a medical condition. That might help a little.

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:46 pm

Why are you assuming a score of 173+? Have you taken a diagnostic test?

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:16 pm

I applied to law school this year with finance work experience that many would consider as "prestigious" or more prestigious than a Goldman job (depending on what you're doing at Goldman); think high profile PE/VC. Then, I did about a year of legal assistant work for HYS attorneys.

My cycle has pretty much played out exactly as if I got two years of work experience anywhere else.

It looks like HLS does have a 3.7 GPA floor (viewtopic.php?f=22&t=162680) but a high 170s LSAT might make acceptance possible. ~173 probably won't cut it. If you can bring it closer to 180, HLS may be in reach.

HTH.

ETA: tl;dr don't expect work experience to do magic on your GPA/LSAT.

NomNom

Postby NomNom » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:57 pm

JDizzle2015 wrote:I applied to law school this year with finance work experience that many would consider as "prestigious" or more prestigious than a Goldman job (depending on what you're doing at Goldman); think high profile PE/VC. Then, I did about a year of legal assistant work for HYS attorneys.

My cycle has pretty much played out exactly as if I got two years of work experience anywhere else.

It looks like HLS does have a 3.7 GPA floor (viewtopic.php?f=22&t=162680) but a high 170s LSAT might make acceptance possible. ~173 probably won't cut it. If you can bring it closer to 180, HLS may be in reach.

HTH.

ETA: tl;dr don't expect work experience to do magic on your GPA/LSAT.

Two years of work experience won't do much no matter what the field. Maybe a decade.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:01 pm

Perhaps an addendum explaining the medical condition, plus the WE, could help to mitigate the GPA? I'm not sure, but I would think they would at least take into consideration a medical issue.

Also, can you take summer classes before you graduate or something? Anything to boost that GPA above 3.7 for HLS.

Postby 20130312 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:19 pm

perhapslawschool wrote:My college GPA is low (about 3.65)

Oh, jump off a bridge.

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:20 pm

Anecdotal evidence, but probably pretty standard. I had 5 years of work experience, including 3 years in a relevant field. It may have given me a marginal bump, in that my LSAT is median for my school, but my GPA is around the 25th percentile.

It was very helpful during OCI, however, and I definitely did much better than my peers who didn't have work experience.

t14fanboy

Postby t14fanboy » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:27 pm

flem wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:
perhapslawschool wrote:My college GPA is low (about 3.65)

Oh, jump off a bridge.

lulz

Seriously, I'd kick a baby into a woodchipper for that shit

:shock: :shock: :shock:

senorhosh

Postby senorhosh » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:09 am

Gail wrote:The WE bump seems to be more relevant for OCI

Look at the legal employment subforum. I think one of the posters here made a google doc and you can definitely see that WE was beneficial.

I'm trying to find this. Can anyone link me this please? Thanks

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:10 am

senorhosh wrote:
Gail wrote:The WE bump seems to be more relevant for OCI

I'm trying to find this. Can anyone link me this please? Thanks

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=175410

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”