TLS Founder (Ken DeLeon) - on nationwide TV Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gaud

Platinum

Re: TLS Founder (Ken DeLeon) - on nationwide TV

Post by gaud » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:32 pm

reformed calvinist wrote:Thanks Ken!

Jaeger

Bronze

Post by Jaeger » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:32 pm

What is, nuckinfuts, Alex.

nucky thompson

Bronze

Post by nucky thompson » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:34 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
nucky thompson wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:Can you guys stop ruining what is supposed to be a cute and happy thread?

THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS.

If anything we are doing ken a favor - he clearly wanted the attention... Our responses are bumping this thread
You can bump the thread two ways:

This way
reformed calvinist wrote:Thanks Ken!
or

Your way
nucky thompson wrote: Could someone explain how the post in general, and the bolded are connected? TLS is a great resource, so thanks for creating it ken. You posted the same NYT article in an earlier thread... To be honest, it seems like you're just subtle advertising, trying to grow your personal brand - which is fine - but it just seems disingenuious to say you ONLY wrote this post because you're "thankful"
Which one ruins nice things?

Well.... If you consider disingenuous "this was done for YOU, not ME" messaging as "nice" - then... Sorry for ruining nice things

Jaeger

Bronze

Post by Jaeger » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:39 pm

Mucky, don't be a player hater. If you want to talk about disingenuous, it's disingenuous to come in this thread and act like you're the mentalist of TLS when in reality, you're insanely jealous of Ken's and probably anyone's success.

nucky thompson

Bronze

Post by nucky thompson » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:43 pm

Jaeger wrote:Mucky, don't be a player hater. If you want to talk about disingenuous, it's disingenuous to come in this thread and act like you're the mentalist of TLS when in reality, you're insanely jealous of Ken's and probably anyone's success.

Truth hurts homie - never claimed to be a mentalist - simply used critical reading skillz and noticed the stated purpose of the OP was far removed from the content

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jaeger

Bronze

Post by Jaeger » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:46 pm

nucky thompson wrote:
Jaeger wrote:Mucky, don't be a player hater. If you want to talk about disingenuous, it's disingenuous to come in this thread and act like you're the mentalist of TLS when in reality, you're insanely jealous of Ken's and probably anyone's success.

Truth hurts homie - never claimed to be a mentalist - simply used critical reading skillz and noticed the stated purpose of the OP was far removed from the content

Waiting for response.

moneybagsphd

Silver

Post by moneybagsphd » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:50 pm

nucky thompson wrote:

Stop being an attention whore.

nucky thompson

Bronze

Post by nucky thompson » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:25 am

moneybagsphd wrote:
nucky thompson wrote:

Stop being an attention whore.
Did you intend to quote ken?

Ofta3184

New

Post by Ofta3184 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:39 am

congrats ken! you da man

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:04 am

Wow... Can't say I'm looking forward to being in classrooms with people like this...

Congrats, Ken. Thank you for creating this amazing resource. I just received notice of my first T-14 full tuition scholarship. I realize this is pretty common on this website, but you have no idea how far I've come and what this website has meant to me over the past few years. I can't thank you enough.

Best,

E

Indifferent

Bronze

Post by Indifferent » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:15 am

JustE wrote: I realize this is pretty common on this website, but you have no idea how far I've come and what this website has meant to me over the past few years. I can't thank you enough.
All of this.

vpintz

Silver

Post by vpintz » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:17 am

Indifferent wrote:
JustE wrote: I realize this is pretty common on this website, but you have no idea how far I've come and what this website has meant to me over the past few years. I can't thank you enough.
All of this.

180asBreath

Bronze

Post by 180asBreath » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:52 am

"Silicon Valley has been good to Mr. DeLeon, a former lawyer, who said he sold $275 million worth of homes last year"

I was about to do the mental math on how much he made last year, but then I felt a panic attack coming on.

Well played, Ken.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:23 pm

This may sound corny, but the information I have learned from tls has significantly improved my life. Before tls I believed this tttt was a good school, and you can't really study for the LSAT, among a host of other things that seemed to be encouraged by other sources (including my ug)!

Thanks and congrats Ken, a lot of us really do owe you a lot.

lawyerwannabe

Silver

Post by lawyerwannabe » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:41 pm

180asBreath wrote:"Silicon Valley has been good to Mr. DeLeon, a former lawyer, who said he sold $275 million worth of homes last year"

I was about to do the mental math on how much he made last year, but then I felt a panic attack coming on.

Well played, Ken.
Let's just say, it looks like Ken is doing preeeeeeeetty well for himself.

introversional

Bronze

Post by introversional » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:13 pm

180asBreath wrote:"Silicon Valley has been good to Mr. DeLeon, a former lawyer, who said he sold $275 million worth of homes last year"

Well played, Ken.
Wow, selling over 20 million dollars worth of real estate a month is a spectacularly impressive figure; even by the most conservative broker commission models, (and I don't know how many agents he has on his team) I'm sure this equates to over 10 million dollars of income for the year. Amazing - and worthy a big congrats. But with that said, the entire fox network is suspect, and facebook's fundamentals make me wonder if it's the interweb's new enron. Also, the idea that people who hit the tech company jackpot in silicon valley are "job creators" (see generally: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... %20Creator) is a bit shaky. Buying a 250k porsche and 10M mcmansion isn't much of a reinvestment into a sustainable system of job growth, productivity, allocation of wealth, opportunity, and so on. Whatever... I still think Ken is great guy and a dynamic businessperson, but that doesn't mean we should blind ourselves to some of the other externalities involved here. This is TLS, after all. Do we really trade in our critical thinking caps at the first mention of a few million dollars?

nucky thompson

Bronze

Post by nucky thompson » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:19 pm

Seriously, if TLS is as "brilliant" as Ken claims - why be disingenuious? Did he not think people would notice? Or did he just assume people wouldn't question his altruism since he created this great resource?

I don't get it... If he is making so much money, and is so successful, why worry about driving up hits to the fox news video/NYT article? Why be so.... Look at me? Not everyone handles success in this way, and in society it is typically frowned upon.

G. T. L. For example, has contributed enormously to this site... And I imagine he is very successful thus far in life.... Would the TLS masses react to a similarly written "doing this for you!!" type article by G. T. L.?

Does the fact that he created this resource really exempt him from reasonable expectations of sincerity?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nkp007

Bronze

Post by nkp007 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:28 pm

nucky thompson wrote:Seriously, if TLS is as "brilliant" as Ken claims - why be disingenuious? Did he not think people would notice? Or did he just assume people wouldn't question his altruism since he created this great resource?

I don't get it... If he is making so much money, and is so successful, why worry about driving up hits to the fox news video/NYT article? Why be so.... Look at me? Not everyone handles success in this way, and in society it is typically frowned upon.

G. T. L. For example, has contributed enormously to this site... And I imagine he is very successful thus far in life.... Would the TLS masses react to a similarly written "doing this for you!!" type article by G. T. L.?

Does the fact that he created this resource really exempt him from reasonable expectations of sincerity?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlv7Bp-L2MM

shhhh

drdolittle

Silver

Post by drdolittle » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:08 pm

nucky thompson wrote:Seriously, if TLS is as "brilliant" as Ken claims - why be disingenuious? Did he not think people would notice? Or did he just assume people wouldn't question his altruism since he created this great resource?

I don't have a problem with what you've poasted in this thread. KDL's OP here certainly gives the impression that he's fishing for compliments on his success selling real estate in SV, now and in recent years probably the hottest market in the country. Or 'thank yous' for creating TLS (reminding readers of this every time), which as you point out now actually depends more on valuable contributions like G. T. L. Rev. On the other hand in Ken's defense, I think he's genuinely intending at least in part to inform readers of one alternate JD career path and his wording is meant to make these posts appear sincere -- rather than seeming like excessive self-promotion.

DaftAndDirect

Bronze

Post by DaftAndDirect » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:27 pm

JustE wrote:Wow... Can't say I'm looking forward to being in classrooms with people like this...

Congrats, Ken. Thank you for creating this amazing resource. I just received notice of my first T-14 full tuition scholarship. I realize this is pretty common on this website, but you have no idea how far I've come and what this website has meant to me over the past few years. I can't thank you enough.

Best,

E
Agreed. Thanking Ken for the free preview though. I'm not nuts about his sales vibe, but TLS has been such a game-changer for my applications that I'm pretty much down with whatever this dude says.

Can't wait to make my Big Law million$$$ so I can buy one of his houses.

bruss

Bronze

Post by bruss » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:31 pm

It never ceases to amaze me how people on TLS can't read btw the lines. If Ken truly wanted to thank us or show he's thankful he could've just wrote a message saying as much. Instead he added things about real estate, without telling us how he got rich doing real estate. What he basically did was link to things showing his accomplishments and present it as a thank you TLS message.

Edit: I know he made this site but that doesn't make him exempt from people pointing out that his message was to brag, not to say thank-you
Last edited by bruss on Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

FryBreadPower

Silver

Post by FryBreadPower » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:33 pm

Holy dog turds you won't let this go.

Also, based on your beating-the-horse-to-death responses you aren't necessarily the authority on things a population frowns upon.
Last edited by FryBreadPower on Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nucky thompson

Bronze

Post by nucky thompson » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:07 pm

If the TLS masses accepted what was obviously true.... The house would not have been beaten, so to say.

FryBreadPower

Silver

Post by FryBreadPower » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:12 pm

nucky thompson wrote:If the TLS masses accepted what was obviously true.... The house would not have been beaten, so to say.
God damnit. One point for you.

Ken

Bronze

Post by Ken » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:40 pm

Dear TLS Community,

Thanks for the props from most. I did want to illustrate that you can be successful with a law degree even if you leave law (although I am not recommending leaving law, but other options exist) and I apologize if I came off as too promotional for others. I am proud of both my success and the TLS community and sorry if I conflated both when this was not necessary. Because the house has been beaten several times there is no need to respond.

I am very thankful that TLS has had such a positive impact for many. My goal in life is to create what I felt was missing and when I was applying to law schools there were very few books (which were costly) that contained detailed profiles of the top law schools, hence my creating the insightful profiles. But the real value the site adds is having such a collection of brilliant law students and applicants who utilize the forum to synergistically share their knowledge with others. Keep up the great work. I am cool with critique for that is how one continues to evolve.

Onward and upward,

Ken

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”