Applying to law school while getting master's degree.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
timeandspace11

Applying to law school while getting master's degree.

Postby timeandspace11 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:34 pm

I plan on applying to law school right after my first semester ends in graduate school (which will be in December. Since I will only have one semester under my belt of grad school will law schools look at undergrad transcripts as well as graduate transcripts?

PARTY

Re: Applying to law school while getting master's degree.

Postby PARTY » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:41 pm

they'll look at graduate grades, sure.

but LSDAS GPA only accounts for undergraduate degrees.

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:26 am

You don't intend to go to grad school and law school at the same time do you?

I'm pretty sure more weight is given to Undergrad GPA

timeandspace11

Postby timeandspace11 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:41 pm

no I do not intend to go to laws school and grad school at the same time. Grad school will be a year and then I will go right into law school.

hicrhodus

Postby hicrhodus » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:57 pm

I am currently in a 1 year master's program and I applied to law school at the end of October. For what it's worth, I've already been admitted to most of the schools I applied to without my grad school grades--my 1st semester marks literally came out this week. The only school where this was even an issue was Stanford, where they asked for some sort of official confirmation of my enrollment given that I didn't have grades yet at the time that I applied. So if you're concerned about how well you'll do, you can always apply earlier...

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:29 pm

timeandspace11 wrote:I plan on applying to law school right after my first semester ends in graduate school (which will be in December. Since I will only have one semester under my belt of grad school will law schools look at undergrad transcripts as well as graduate transcripts?

The law schools will always look primarily at your undergrad transcripts, even if you complete a Master's program (or a Ph.D, for that matter).

You'll still have to send the grad transcripts in, but your LSAC GPA will be based solely on undergrad, and that's the GPA that carries the most weight, by far.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”