Deferred Guaranteed Admission?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jrthor10

Deferred Guaranteed Admission?

Postby jrthor10 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:26 pm

So I had a friend a few years back who was wait listed at Duke into the summer months. In June/July he got a letter from the school basically saying that if he wanted, he could send a letter to back to Duke right away saying that he would like to be considered for admission for the next cycle and they'd let him know within 2-3 weeks. He did, and got in. So he basically matriculated at Duke a year later than he otherwise would have, had he gotten in originally.

My question: Is this unique to Duke? Has anyone heard of this happening at other schools? Just curious.

lblelalr

Re: Deferred Guaranteed Admission?

Postby lblelalr » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:33 pm

NU gave me an offer of deferred admission with a scholly this cycle so it's not just Duke.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:17 am

Happened a lot at UVa the last couple of years when we were overmatriculated.

jrthor10

Postby jrthor10 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:56 pm

Anyone else?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:00 pm

I've heard of it happening at various schools. It's not a ton of people every year, but once in a while a school will realize they've overbooked a class, or they've got more qualified applicants than they expected.

Northwestern's deferral+full ride isn't because the class is overbooked; it's because the applicant is otherwise very qualified but doesn't have any work experience. NU is very big on keeping that number high, so they'll trade the applicant a full ride for a year to go get some WE.

People also request deferred admission for various reasons (health issue, dream job opportunity, family crisis, etc.) This is probably much more common. I myself deferred voluntarily (no full-ride, sadly) at NU last year and will be entering with the class of 2015 this fall.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”