In Review -- Should I send a "Why Xyz" Letter? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ashleyryan

New

In Review -- Should I send a "Why Xyz" Letter?

Post by ashleyryan » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:30 am

Hi guys --

I have been in review at my number one school for quite some time. Do you guys think it would be of benefit to send in an addendum of some kind? Stating why that specific school, or something?

NomNom

Bronze

Re: In Review -- Should I send a "Why Xyz" Letter?

Post by NomNom » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:48 am

Just curious what "a while" is. I've been under review for several months at my top choice. I've seen on other forums that following up prior to a decision is NOT a good idea - only send follow up indicating your desire to commit to attendance if you are waitlisted.

Someone else may differ in opinion.

ashleyryan

New

Post by ashleyryan » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:55 am

NomNom wrote:Just curious what "a while" is. I've been under review for several months at my top choice. I've seen on other forums that following up prior to a decision is NOT a good idea - only send follow up indicating your desire to commit to attendance if you are waitlisted.

Thanks for your feedback. Well... I submitted all my materials in November. However, I didn't go complete until January because my Dec. LSAT score was sent in around the 6th. I immediately went into review upon the school receiving the score and then again on the 27th of January, which is where my status remains now. It feels longer because of the fact that I sent in my stuff early... haha, hence the reasoning as to why I feel like it's been in review forever.

I know of some people who have submitted their applications and heard back two weeks later. It's just a wee bit frustrating! I'm sure we're all in the same boat tho!

NomNom

Bronze

Post by NomNom » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:02 pm

ashleyryan wrote:
NomNom wrote:Just curious what "a while" is. I've been under review for several months at my top choice. I've seen on other forums that following up prior to a decision is NOT a good idea - only send follow up indicating your desire to commit to attendance if you are waitlisted.

Thanks for your feedback. Well... I submitted all my materials in November. However, I didn't go complete until January because my Dec. LSAT score was sent in around the 6th. I immediately went into review upon the school receiving the score and then again on the 27th of January, which is where my status remains now. It feels longer because of the fact that I sent in my stuff early... haha, hence the reasoning as to why I feel like it's been in review forever.

I know of some people who have submitted their applications and heard back two weeks later. It's just a wee bit frustrating! I'm sure we're all in the same boat tho!
Yep, definitely in the same boat. I would wait - it is still early. I have to put down a seat deposit by April 1, so I am trying not to stress over it until at least mid-March. It is still early in the cycle, IMO. I wouldn't send anything that may jeopardize your application. You can address a LOCI if you find yourself in limbo later.

ashleyryan

New

Post by ashleyryan » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:07 pm

NomNom wrote:
ashleyryan wrote:

Yep, definitely in the same boat. I would wait - it is still early. I have to put down a seat deposit by April 1, so I am trying not to stress over it until at least mid-March. It is still early in the cycle, IMO. I wouldn't send anything that may jeopardize your application. You can address a LOCI if you find yourself in limbo later.
Got it, thanks so much for your help! :wink: Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NomNom

Bronze

Post by NomNom » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:13 pm

You too.

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:06 pm

NomNom wrote:I would wait - it is still early. I have to put down a seat deposit by April 1, so I am trying not to stress over it until at least mid-March. It is still early in the cycle, IMO. I wouldn't send anything that may jeopardize your application. You can address a LOCI if you find yourself in limbo later.
Since you haven't been waiting long, I think this is most likely the right answer.

But to some degree it depends on the school. If the school is known to like 'Why X' essays (for example, MVP), and you didn't send one with your application, then it might be a good idea to send one soon. If 'Why X' essays are not thought to make any real difference (like most schools) or the school actively discourages sending additional materials (like Emory), you should definitely wait.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”