Question about application mistakes?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jamie3

Question about application mistakes?

Postby jamie3 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:26 pm

I was looking over all my applications today and noticed I made a major mistake in each. I put the wrong start date for my undergraduate education. I made the mistake because I transferred from one school, and about a year later had an off semester. For some reason I said I started in the fall when I meant to say I started in the Spring. Now I am unsure whether I should bring this to the attention of the law schools I applied to. There is a difference of 9 months and if you look at it, it looks as if I took 9 months off. However, this should be correct in my transcripts obviously.

Is this a really bad mistake, that I should immediately bring to the attention of the law schools I applied to, or is it something to let go off and see what happens next?

Thank you for any help!

rinkrat19

Re: Question about application mistakes?

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:30 pm

Just shoot an email to each admissions office briefly correcting the mistake and apologizing for the inconvenience. Three sentences, tops.

jamie3

Postby jamie3 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:36 pm

Thanks, is it just to there admissions office? Do you have a clue if this brings about any unwanted attention, or perhaps even a direct rejection? Would it be better to leave it alone. I have never heard if the correction worked for someone's favor?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:42 pm

Each school's website should have a general contact email for the admissions office or an admissions dean or something.

It won't hurt you (unless you are incredibly socially awkward and weird in the email or something). The admissions office literally will not care about the mistake. The important thing is to have your application file be accurate, to prevent any character and fitness issues from popping up come bar passage time if there any strange discrepancies. (It's not likely that such a small thing would affect you, but why take the chance of wasting three years and many thousands of dollars in tuition?)

jamie3

Postby jamie3 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:44 pm

Wow, thank you very much, that is the information I have been looking for everywhere.

Could the mistake be fixed later after acceptance, if accepted?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:47 pm

jamie3 wrote:Wow, thank you very much, that is the information I have been looking for everywhere.

Could the mistake be fixed later after acceptance, if accepted?
Yes, you should also email the correction to schools that have already accepted you. But you shouldn't wait until after receiving acceptances out of some strange paranoia that it might hurt your chances. Just fix it now.

jamie3

Postby jamie3 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:49 pm

Thank you, you have been very helpful. I will fix it right away.

jamie3

Postby jamie3 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:06 am

After reviewing my application I noticed I made this mistake twice, for two different schools, each suggesting a start date during the fall instead of the spring. I corrected the mistake but now I wonder how serious the error was considering how often it occurred? The error now subtracts a whole year from my application.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:37 pm

jamie3 wrote:After reviewing my application I noticed I made this mistake twice, for two different schools, each suggesting a start date during the fall instead of the spring. I corrected the mistake but now I wonder how serious the error was considering how often it occurred? The error now subtracts a whole year from my application.

You really should stop worrying about this. It's not going to matter much, if at all. The schools realize that these mistakes happen. They're not basing their decision on the timeline of your resume - they're basing it on your GPA/LSAT (and then your PS, etc...).

I've had students with much more egregious errors end up fine after correcting the mistake.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”