reapplication after dismissal during 1L

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dontbeanidiot

reapplication after dismissal during 1L

Postby dontbeanidiot » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:19 pm

Last edited by dontbeanidiot on Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mce252

Re: reapplication after dismissal during 1L

Postby Mce252 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:22 pm

You should talk to the state bar where you plan to apply for your license before doing anything further. I'm not sure that you would be admitted to practice.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:24 pm

I am surprised they dismissed. usually these schools just care about ability to pay and to some extent bar passage. You still would have passed the exam, just not been admitted if the C&F committee so chose.

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:26 pm

MrAnon wrote:I am surprised they dismissed. usually these schools just care about ability to pay and to some extent bar passage. You still would have passed the exam, just not been admitted if the C&F committee so chose.

Source? What schools don't care about lying on C&F sections?

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:36 pm

Mce252 wrote:
MrAnon wrote:I am surprised they dismissed. usually these schools just care about ability to pay and to some extent bar passage. You still would have passed the exam, just not been admitted if the C&F committee so chose.

Source? What schools don't care about lying on C&F sections?

+1

MrAnon is talking out of his ass on that one.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:49 pm

Schools care quite a bit about lying on the application. You shouldn't be surprised at all - if you lie on your application, there is a good chance you will get caught either by the law school or the bar, and kicked out of school or denied admission to the bar.

To OP - definitely check with a local attorney specializing in C&F issues before doing anything else.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:04 pm

Look, I am not the expert on this, but I have an acquaintance who was dismissed from law school, so I have some anecdotal evidence...

And it doesn't look good for you. She has yet to get into another law school, not even a T3 or T4 in her region. Seriously, even a T4 wouldn't take her.

Now your situation is different from hers, so I don't know... but not only would I expect that you are going to have to explain the heck out of yourself for a failure to disclose when you had very obvious instructions to do so- making you look like a liar that law schools don't want to admit given they have more applicants than they need... but even worse, C&F in whatever state is going to probably ding you. Those guys have, like, no sense of humor about this sort of thing. And just like law schools, they have more applicants than the market needs.

If you had a million chicken mcnuggets, would you eat the crispy one that was in the frier too long?

Look, this sucks for you. I feel you, because I HATED disclosing stuff from my past that had NOTHING to do with what kind of lawyer I was going to be... but I think you also deserve to hear the truth. It is unlikely you will ever go to law school again. Not impossible (maybe the local state school will be cool with you if you admitted your mistake and were super honest), but unlikely.

Have you considered pharmacy/medical/nursing, or business school?

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:31 pm

spleenworship wrote:Look, I am not the expert on this, but I have an acquaintance who was dismissed from law school, so I have some anecdotal evidence...

And it doesn't look good for you. She has yet to get into another law school, not even a T3 or T4 in her region. Seriously, even a T4 wouldn't take her.

Now your situation is different from hers, so I don't know... but not only would I expect that you are going to have to explain the heck out of yourself for a failure to disclose when you had very obvious instructions to do so- making you look like a liar that law schools don't want to admit given they have more applicants than they need... but even worse, C&F in whatever state is going to probably ding you. Those guys have, like, no sense of humor about this sort of thing. And just like law schools, they have more applicants than the market needs.

If you had a million chicken mcnuggets, would you eat the crispy one that was in the frier too long?

Look, this sucks for you. I feel you, because I HATED disclosing stuff from my past that had NOTHING to do with what kind of lawyer I was going to be... but I think you also deserve to hear the truth. It is unlikely you will ever go to law school again. Not impossible (maybe the local state school will be cool with you if you admitted your mistake and were super honest), but unlikely.

Have you considered pharmacy/medical/nursing, or business school?

TCR.

The OP made a mistake that might not be repairable. In fact, I'd be curious to find out if this ethics issue would affect an applicant's chances at medical or business school as well. I'm not sure if they can see whether or not you attend law school and the reason for your dismissal. To the OP, you might be better off entering the workforce in an entry-level career.

phillyboy101

Postby phillyboy101 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:48 pm

I'm curious as to what the op did here. I know he deleted it so without getting specific I'm assuming op didn't mention a rather serious c&f offense and then the school somehow found out? Or did he voluntarily tell the school during 1L and they were still pissed? Just curious as to what would make the school dismiss their students.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:53 pm

phillyboy101 wrote:I'm curious as to what the op did here. I know he deleted it so without getting specific I'm assuming op didn't mention a rather serious c&f offense and then the school somehow found out? Or did he voluntarily tell the school during 1L and they were still pissed? Just curious as to what would make the school dismiss their students.

Failure to disclose, school found out.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:56 pm

mrtoren wrote:The OP made a mistake that might not be repairable. In fact, I'd be curious to find out if this ethics issue would affect an applicant's chances at medical or business school as well. I'm not sure if they can see whether or not you attend law school and the reason for your dismissal. To the OP, you might be better off entering the workforce in an entry-level career.

Yeah, OP is going to have issues with any damn career, but I am guessing that to a non-law school what he did would sound more like an honest mistake as opposed to a purposeful misrepresentation.

phillyboy101

Postby phillyboy101 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:04 pm

Was it something that might have affected his admission chances had it been originally mentioned or just a small petty offense he failed to list?

Postby 20130312 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:08 pm

phillyboy101 wrote:Was it something that might have affected his admission chances had it been originally mentioned or just a small petty offense he failed to list?

Think it was a misdemeanor of some sort.

dontbeanidiot

Postby dontbeanidiot » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:19 pm

juvenile arrest. not disclosed on application.

academic standing was good, pre-LS stats were [edit]. even a T4 wouldn't consider admission? it sucks but i had a pre-LS career that i can fall back on.
Last edited by dontbeanidiot on Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:18 pm

spleenworship wrote:
phillyboy101 wrote:I'm curious as to what the op did here. I know he deleted it so without getting specific I'm assuming op didn't mention a rather serious c&f offense and then the school somehow found out? Or did he voluntarily tell the school during 1L and they were still pissed? Just curious as to what would make the school dismiss their students.

Now I'm thinking about all those "should I disclose this?" threads where people argue against disclosing things. I'll probably point them back to this thread.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:36 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
spleenworship wrote:

Now I'm thinking about all those "should I disclose this?" threads where people argue against disclosing things. I'll probably point them back to this thread.

No kidding. Can you imagine what would happen if this popped up during 2L or 3L after you already had a big chunk of loans out?

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:39 pm

kalvano wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
spleenworship wrote:

No kidding. Can you imagine what would happen if this popped up during 2L or 3L after you already had a big chunk of loans out?

Before classes started I got paranoid and even disclosed shit I didn't have to disclose. I haven't regretted it once. I do regret my shitty credit score though. Trying to fix it, but if they turn me down for C&F for that one I am going to be pretty upset.

dontbeanidiot

Postby dontbeanidiot » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:58 pm

phillyboy101 wrote:Was it something that might have affected his admission chances had it been originally mentioned or just a small petty offense he failed to list?

I called the school's admissions office, anonymously, with my exact fact set, and they stated it would "absolutely not positively or negatively impact" my admissions and that it was so long ago it was "no longer relevant."

I put up a new thread with more details though so this one can be laid to rest: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=182286

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”