How does my plan look?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
STB
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:34 am

How does my plan look?

Postby STB » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:48 am

I am currently a junior at a good (top 50 but not top 25) liberal arts school. I have a 3.92 and expect it to stay somewhere around there; I think my softs are pretty good; I don't have an LSAT score but it shouldn't be too important for my question. My question is whether this plan makes sense...

After I graduate, I will study for the LSAT and take it in the fall. For a year or two I will get a job and build some WE. When I get my LSAT score back I'll apply to my very top choices (HYS and Berkeley) if I have a high score. If I don't get accepted, I will reapply early in the next cycle.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

LoyalRebel
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:20 pm

Re: How does my plan look?

Postby LoyalRebel » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:02 am

Many a 4.0 liberal arts major has been humbled by the LSAT.

Having said that, I think it's good you're aiming high. Personally, I think that if you get good enough scores to get into the schools you mentioned, you should accept right away and not worry about the work experience. W/E is good, but you could be doing better things with your time.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: How does my plan look?

Postby 20130312 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:07 am

Apply to all of MPVB (even if you aren't interested in attending) for the scholarship leverage. Profit.

Randomnumbers
Posts: 356
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:26 pm

Re: How does my plan look?

Postby Randomnumbers » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:49 am

You can also study during the summer before your senior year and take a pop at the LSAT in october then. With a 3.92 and a good LSAT score you don't need to take time off and build up WE. Also, some people will be fine on the LSAT without any practice. You are in a very good position to not have to take time off.

That being said, if you want to take time off it is a very good idea. But taking the LSAT earlier will give you more options to change your mind at a later date. At least take a few practice tests and see how you do.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: How does my plan look?

Postby 20130312 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:07 pm

Randomnumbers wrote:You can also study during the summer before your senior year and take a pop at the LSAT in october then. With a 3.92 and a good LSAT score you don't need to take time off and build up WE to get in to law school. It will come in handy when looking for a legal job, though. Also, some people will be fine on the LSAT without any practice. You are in a very good position to not have to take time off.

That being said, if you want to take time off it is a very good idea. But taking the LSAT earlier will give you more options to change your mind at a later date. At least take a few practice tests and see how you do.


FTFY
Last edited by 20130312 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: How does my plan look?

Postby rad lulz » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:43 pm

+1 to IGF, WE is the tits for OCI

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: How does my plan look?

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:47 pm

Without an actual LSAT score, your plan looks unrealistic. Try to take the LSAT in June so that you can retake in October if your score is too low for your goals. Focus on getting "As" during the remainder of your undergraduate career & on finding an LSAT prep course.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: How does my plan look?

Postby rad lulz » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:50 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Without an actual LSAT score, your plan looks unrealistic.

Also lol, credited.

STB
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:34 am

Re: How does my plan look?

Postby STB » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:53 pm

Thanks for the responses.

So I would be better off applying to more schools after the Sep/oct LSAT if only for the sake of $?

Paul Campos
Posts: 645
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:44 am

Re: How does my plan look?

Postby Paul Campos » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:58 pm

STB wrote:Thanks for the responses.

So I would be better off applying to more schools after the Sep/oct LSAT if only for the sake of $?


No, just apply to Yale, Harvard and Stanford, and then play them off against each other. If you do this right they should be paying you to go to law school.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: How does my plan look?

Postby 20130312 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:00 pm

Paul Campos wrote:
STB wrote:Thanks for the responses.

So I would be better off applying to more schools after the Sep/oct LSAT if only for the sake of $?


No, just apply to Yale, Harvard and Stanford, and then play them off against each other. If you do this right they should be paying you to go to law school.


Assuming a good LSAT, which is tough to say if you haven't even looked at one yet.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: How does my plan look?

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:00 pm

Yes, apply to more law schools. Check lawschoolnumbers.com Look at the graphs for Yale, Berkeley & Stanford (Harvard is much more predictable regarding admissions decisions because it is very large).

Lawyers need to have & use common-sense, in addition to other factors. A common-sense plan for applying to law school extends beyond Harvard, Yale, Stanford & Berkely.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: How does my plan look?

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:02 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
Paul Campos wrote:
STB wrote:Thanks for the responses.

So I would be better off applying to more schools after the Sep/oct LSAT if only for the sake of $?


No, just apply to Yale, Harvard and Stanford, and then play them off against each other. If you do this right they should be paying you to go to law school.


Assuming a good LSAT, which is tough to say if you haven't even looked at one yet.
+1
We've seen plenty of high GPAs totally fail at the LSAT. It is not the SATs.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: How does my plan look?

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:03 pm

P.S. I've heard that they teach good law at Columbia, Chicago & a few others as well.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: How does my plan look?

Postby 20130312 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:04 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:P.S. I've heard that they teach good law at Columbia, Chicago & a few others as well.


OMG, this is totally blatant anti-NYU trolling dood!

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: How does my plan look?

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:04 pm

I wrote "a few others as well".

P.S. It's important to let Yale know whether or not that is your first choice school. :D

STB
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:34 am

Re: How does my plan look?

Postby STB » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:52 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Yes, apply to more law schools. Check lawschoolnumbers.com Look at the graphs for Yale, Berkeley & Stanford (Harvard is much more predictable regarding admissions decisions because it is very large).

Lawyers need to have & use common-sense, in addition to other factors. A common-sense plan for applying to law school extends beyond Harvard, Yale, Stanford & Berkely.


Right. I was just thinking that I would only apply to my top few choices as a sort of "what if" scenario and then wait util earlier in the next cycle to apply to all the schools I would normally apply to. My thought was that I would rather do two years of work (for my own sake more than for my resume) unless I could go to one of my favorite schools after just one year. I just didn't know if it was a good idea to do the two cycles thing.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: How does my plan look?

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:56 pm

Really depends upon your LSAT score or scores & other opportunities. For example, are you also considering MBA school ?
Work experience is typically a good idea before attending law school, but that varies by individual situations.

User avatar
Nulli Secundus
Posts: 2625
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:19 am

Re: How does my plan look?

Postby Nulli Secundus » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:29 pm

No one will take you serious until you have a real LSAT score. As people have pointed out, a good GPA is in no way a guarantee of a good LSAT score, otherwise we wouldn't have a category like "reverse-splitters" (lol).

Apart from this, even if you get past LSAT, do your damnedest to get all your ducks in a row w/r/t admissions requirements the first time. A rejection on your record will not be endearing when they review your application for the second time.

User avatar
johansantana21
Posts: 855
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:11 pm

Re: How does my plan look?

Postby johansantana21 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:32 pm

STB wrote:I am currently a junior at a good (top 50 but not top 25) liberal arts school. I have a 3.92 and expect it to stay somewhere around there; I think my softs are pretty good; I don't have an LSAT score but it shouldn't be too important for my question. My question is whether this plan makes sense...

After I graduate, I will study for the LSAT and take it in the fall. For a year or two I will get a job and build some WE. When I get my LSAT score back I'll apply to my very top choices (HYS and Berkeley) if I have a high score. If I don't get accepted, I will reapply early in the next cycle.

Any feedback would be appreciated.


Oh god, someone punch this kid.

User avatar
hoos89
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:09 pm

Re: How does my plan look?

Postby hoos89 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:40 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jhw219
Posts: 77
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:44 am

Re: How does my plan look?

Postby jhw219 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:43 pm

your chances will definitely be impacted by the LSAT. Although my GPA isn't nearly as high as yours, there are people with my exact GPA and solid LSAT scores who are getting into Penn, Columbia, etc. while my disappointing score has landed me on the WL at the bottom T14. Also, and I don't mean to belittle your school, but your not applying from one of the top universities and there are definitely going to be people applying from Ivy's and other top 15's who are going to have GPAs just as good as yours so in order to remain competitive you're going to need a solid LSAT.

User avatar
hoos89
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:09 pm

Re: How does my plan look?

Postby hoos89 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:45 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jhw219
Posts: 77
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:44 am

Re: How does my plan look?

Postby jhw219 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:50 pm

hoos89 wrote:
jhw219 wrote:your chances will definitely be impacted by the LSAT. Although my GPA isn't nearly as high as yours, there are people with my exact GPA and solid LSAT scores who are getting into Penn, Columbia, etc. while my disappointing score has landed me on the WL at the bottom T14. Also, and I don't mean to belittle your school, but your not applying from one of the top universities and there are definitely going to be people applying from Ivy's and other top 15's who are going to have GPAs just as good as yours so in order to remain competitive you're going to need a solid LSAT.


UG Institution is pretty much meaningless for law school admissions.


i mean, it's by no means going to be the deciding factor, but you can't tell me that an admissions officer is going to treat a 4.0 from an ivy the same way they would treat a 4.0 from a large state school. at the same time, getting a 2.x from an ivy is obviously not going to get you as far as a solid GPA from a less distinguished school. all i'm saying is that having a high GPA won't be enough since there will be other students from (arguably) more difficult schools with great GPAs too.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: How does my plan look?

Postby 20130312 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:51 pm

jhw219 wrote:
hoos89 wrote:
jhw219 wrote:your chances will definitely be impacted by the LSAT. Although my GPA isn't nearly as high as yours, there are people with my exact GPA and solid LSAT scores who are getting into Penn, Columbia, etc. while my disappointing score has landed me on the WL at the bottom T14. Also, and I don't mean to belittle your school, but your not applying from one of the top universities and there are definitely going to be people applying from Ivy's and other top 15's who are going to have GPAs just as good as yours so in order to remain competitive you're going to need a solid LSAT.


UG Institution is pretty much meaningless for law school admissions.


i mean, it's by no means going to be the deciding factor, but you can't tell me that an admissions officer is going to treat a 4.0 from an ivy the same way they would treat a 4.0 from a large state school. at the same time, getting a 2.x from an ivy is obviously not going to get you as far as a solid GPA from a less distinguished school. all i'm saying is that having a high GPA won't be enough since there will be other students from (arguably) more difficult schools with great GPAs too.


UG, along with your PS and LORs, would serve as a tiebreaker for people with identical numbers. Otherwise, no dice.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: alora, Bing [Bot], junegabriel92, rinkrat19 and 7 guests