Lsac GPA wtf!?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Lawbro

Re: Lsac GPA wtf!?

Postby Lawbro » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:39 pm

Geetar Man wrote:I wonder if this is a problem specifically with stonybrooke and not with lsac.

I'm not sure, my UG gpa is not affected in any way by that withdrawal. The lsac gpa on the other hand...

Geetar Man

Postby Geetar Man » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:10 pm

Lawbro wrote:
Geetar Man wrote:I wonder if this is a problem specifically with stonybrooke and not with lsac.

I'm not sure, my UG gpa is not affected in any way by that withdrawal. The lsac gpa on the other hand...

This has me worried... I have several withdrawals that, if counted, will entirely fuck me. I'm already - 3.0 before the bullshit.

happyshapy

Postby happyshapy » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:19 pm

thetaxman wrote:The whole concept of the LSAC GPA really needs to go away in my opinion. I have a 3.5+ from my undergrad school, but the LSAC has me below a 3.4 because of classes I retook after bombing freshman year. It's an enormous discrepancy, and an organization that has no affiliation with my school has no right to judge my performance at that school. No sane person looking over my transcript would say "oh yeah, this guy's a 3.38 level talent", but that's the number by which I'm going to be judged. On the off chance anyone from the LSAC reads this post, you all can slobber all over my genitalia.

I thinks it important to have LSAC normalize everyone's GPA. My university gave the same GPA for an A and A+, a 4.0. Others schools give 4.33 for an A+. Some schools say a B+ is a 3.7, and others a 3.67. It's important to have that evened out by LSAC so a real comparison can be made.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:20 pm

happyshapy wrote:
thetaxman wrote:The whole concept of the LSAC GPA really needs to go away in my opinion. I have a 3.5+ from my undergrad school, but the LSAC has me below a 3.4 because of classes I retook after bombing freshman year. It's an enormous discrepancy, and an organization that has no affiliation with my school has no right to judge my performance at that school. No sane person looking over my transcript would say "oh yeah, this guy's a 3.38 level talent", but that's the number by which I'm going to be judged. On the off chance anyone from the LSAC reads this post, you all can slobber all over my genitalia.

I thinks it important to have LSAC normalize everyone's GPA. My university gave the same GPA for an A and A+, a 4.0. Others schools give 4.33 for an A+. Some schools say an B+ is a 3.7, and others a 3.67. It's important to have that evened out by LSAC so a real comparison can be made.

It's not that important. Because a B+ at your school might be a C+ at mine. The normalizing gives sense of objectivity when it's still mostly arbitrary.

happyshapy

Postby happyshapy » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:26 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
happyshapy wrote:

I thinks it important to have LSAC normalize everyone's GPA. My university gave the same GPA for an A and A+, a 4.0. Others schools give 4.33 for an A+. Some schools say an B+ is a 3.7, and others a 3.67. It's important to have that evened out by LSAC so a real comparison can be made.

It's not that important. Because a B+ at your school might be a C+ at mine. The normalizing gives sense of objectivity when it's still mostly arbitrary.

Well that's why they have the LSAT.

Just because it's not completely objective doesn't mean LSAC shouldn't make an attempt to make it more so.

Although I am biased since LSAC raised my GPA :wink:

Postby 09042014 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:40 pm

happyshapy wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
happyshapy wrote:

Well that's why they have the LSAT.

Just because it's not completely objective doesn't mean LSAC shouldn't make an attempt to make it more so.

Although I am biased since LSAC raised my GPA :wink:

But it isn't making it any more objective.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”