Lsac GPA wtf!?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4166
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: Lsac GPA wtf!?

Postby Clearly » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:02 pm

johansantana21 wrote:
Clearlynotstefan wrote:Exactly. My school is NUTS. No breaks get cut at Stony Brook, and were competing with a lot of international students who came here JUST to get into the medical school. Its near impossible to get A's here, and I managed to keep my GPA at least decent, until the lsac W machine rolled through position me as a moron. I really hope I get this straightened out. It's literally depressing me. I was going to try and sneak in to Fordham at the deadline, and stood a decent chance at doing so, but if I can't clear this up till then, I'm literally forced to take option 2 of waiting around another year.


Are you retarded? SUNY Stonybrook is a joke. I know friends who went there. They all know it's a joke of a school.


What exactly about stonybrook is a joke? When did your friends attend? The schools gotten much more difficult in recent years as they try to climb the rankings...but even before that I can't see calling SB a joke, it attracts international talent like crazy. The LSAC took my 3.4 down to a 2.8 over withdrawals (which I will straighten out btw), and I'm STILL in the median of law school applicants out of SB according to my Academic Summary Report. My 3.4 was 90th%... Either all of SB wants to go to Hoftra, or the schools not as easy as you think.

That said, keep your bullshit to yourself, I'm here to get information about law school, not have my undergrad degree chastised.
(and Johan will never pitch well again)

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Lsac GPA wtf!?

Postby fatduck » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:03 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:What exactly about stonybrook is a joke?

well, there's always this:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:I went to SUNY Stony Brook.

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: Lsac GPA wtf!?

Postby 20121109 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:04 pm

fatduck wrote:
Clearlynotstefan wrote:What exactly about stonybrook is a joke?

well, there's always this:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:I went to SUNY Stony Brook.


Yeah...I went there. Shame I didn't end up at HYS or anything.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Lsac GPA wtf!?

Postby fatduck » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:05 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
fatduck wrote:
Clearlynotstefan wrote:What exactly about stonybrook is a joke?

well, there's always this:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:I went to SUNY Stony Brook.


Yeah...I went there. Shame I didn't end up at HYS or anything.

that awkward moment when a joke becomes not a joke

User avatar
johansantana21
Posts: 855
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:11 pm

Re: Lsac GPA wtf!?

Postby johansantana21 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:07 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
fatduck wrote:
Clearlynotstefan wrote:What exactly about stonybrook is a joke?

well, there's always this:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:I went to SUNY Stony Brook.


Yeah...I went there. Shame I didn't end up at HYS or anything.


Objectively shitty schools don't hold back people from going to HYS. HTH.

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: Lsac GPA wtf!?

Postby 20121109 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:10 pm

johansantana21 wrote:Objectively shitty schools don't hold back people from going to HYS. HTH.


Where I ended up at law school is besides the point. You can say it's a shitty school all you want, hell, I even graduated early because I hated it so much. But that doesn't change the fact that it's a reputable institution especially for sciences. Don't shit on a school that really is great value for the tuition.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Lsac GPA wtf!?

Postby fatduck » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:11 pm

i just want to make it clear that i have nothing against SUNY Stony Brook.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Lsac GPA wtf!?

Postby 09042014 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:15 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
fatduck wrote:
Clearlynotstefan wrote:What exactly about stonybrook is a joke?

well, there's always this:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:I went to SUNY Stony Brook.


Yeah...I went there. Shame I didn't end up at HYS or anything.


Anti-affirmative action trolling!

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: Lsac GPA wtf!?

Postby 20121109 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:18 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Anti-affirmative action trolling!


Mention Affirmative Action?

Banned.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Lsac GPA wtf!?

Postby fatduck » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:19 pm

i probably deserve at least half of that ban

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Lsac GPA wtf!?

Postby 09042014 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:19 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Anti-affirmative action trolling!


Mention Affirmative Action?

Banned.


Rush Limbaugh was right!

User avatar
johansantana21
Posts: 855
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:11 pm

Re: Lsac GPA wtf!?

Postby johansantana21 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:22 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
johansantana21 wrote:Objectively shitty schools don't hold back people from going to HYS. HTH.


Where I ended up at law school is besides the point. You can say it's a shitty school all you want, hell, I even graduated early because I hated it so much. But that doesn't change the fact that it's a reputable institution especially for sciences. Don't shit on a school that really is great value for the tuition.


Stony has a great med school but that's not undergrad. And yes, they are a good bang for the buck. But that's like saying the McDonald dollar menu isn't objectively shitty food just because it's cheap and filling.

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: Lsac GPA wtf!?

Postby 20121109 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:26 pm

johansantana21 wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
johansantana21 wrote:Objectively shitty schools don't hold back people from going to HYS. HTH.


Where I ended up at law school is besides the point. You can say it's a shitty school all you want, hell, I even graduated early because I hated it so much. But that doesn't change the fact that it's a reputable institution especially for sciences. Don't shit on a school that really is great value for the tuition.


Stony has a great med school but that's not undergrad. And yes, they are a good bang for the buck. But that's like saying the McDonald dollar menu isn't objectively shitty food just because it's cheap and filling.


Sure, bro. Whatever you say.

User avatar
AntipodeanPhil
Posts: 1300
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: Lsac GPA wtf!?

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:30 pm

So,

1) This thread is no longer contributing to the issue it was started to discuss;

2) It is now mostly about people trash-talking a mod's UG school with various forms of hearsay;

and

3) Somehow people have managed to introduce the-issue-that-shall-not-be-named;

IBTL!

User avatar
ThreeRivers
Posts: 1142
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:54 am

Re: Lsac GPA wtf!?

Postby ThreeRivers » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:14 pm

My second semester I received a 0.00 gpa after my family had multiple deaths and I basically Just stopped going to class but like an idiot I didn't withdrawal.

Without this semester my gpa is >3.9. Because of it it's <3.5. I wrote an addendum but no school seems to care (they are number whores). Is it unfair? I guess, but nothing we can do about it so might as well move on.

No reason to make blanket statements such as "I'm better than my classmates." I'm sure many individuals have grades suffer because of outside influences, but it's basically impossible for law schools to quantify everyones "my gpa should be" excuses (even if they're justified).

slacker
Posts: 72
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:54 pm

Re: Lsac GPA wtf!?

Postby slacker » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:41 pm

Has nobody ever compiled a list of median graduating GPA or something for undergrads applying to law school to get some sense of grade inflation at each school? LSAC shows you that and LSAT score info for your school when you take the LSAT doesn't it? Haven't taken it yet and can't remember what is included in the score report.

User avatar
eaper
Posts: 663
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:31 pm

Re: Lsac GPA wtf!?

Postby eaper » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:56 pm

slacker wrote:Has nobody ever compiled a list of median graduating GPA or something for undergrads applying to law school to get some sense of grade inflation at each school? LSAC shows you that and LSAT score info for your school when you take the LSAT doesn't it? Haven't taken it yet and can't remember what is included in the score report.


Just checked and both are included. Didn't realize my undergrad was quite that low of a mean GPA ._.

User avatar
ThreeRivers
Posts: 1142
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:54 am

Re: Lsac GPA wtf!?

Postby ThreeRivers » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:02 pm

eaper wrote:
slacker wrote:Has nobody ever compiled a list of median graduating GPA or something for undergrads applying to law school to get some sense of grade inflation at each school? LSAC shows you that and LSAT score info for your school when you take the LSAT doesn't it? Haven't taken it yet and can't remember what is included in the score report.


Just checked and both are included. Didn't realize my undergrad was quite that low of a mean GPA ._.

Even that has it flaws because most law school applicants come from the easier humanities.

I'm sorry but engineering, bio, chemisty, etc majors is almost always tougher than education, basket-weaving majors

User avatar
Lawbro
Posts: 294
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Lsac GPA wtf!?

Postby Lawbro » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:04 pm

Posting from stony brook right now. I have nothing else of value to add

User avatar
Yeshia90
Posts: 988
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:23 am

Re: Lsac GPA wtf!?

Postby Yeshia90 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:06 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:LSAC normally doesn't factor non-punitive Ws into the LSAC GPA. Your undergrad must have considered Ws punitive, like WFs or something. If that is the case, I'm afraid there is nothing you can do.


Shouldn't be the case, they didn't effect my gpa at my school...

This is screwing me so bad. Stony Brook University was the biggest mistake of my life. Notoriously hard, but without a big name, no A+ scoring... I had a great chance at really decent schools, now I'm fucked. Hello Brooklyn Law!


Hey, don't you talk bad about Stony Brook.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Lsac GPA wtf!?

Postby 20130312 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:07 pm

Lawbro wrote:Posting from stony brook right now. I have nothing else of value to add


Thanks for your contribution.

User avatar
Lawbro
Posts: 294
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Lsac GPA wtf!?

Postby Lawbro » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:11 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
Lawbro wrote:Posting from stony brook right now. I have nothing else of value to add


Thanks for your contribution.

:mrgreen:

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4166
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: Lsac GPA wtf!?

Postby Clearly » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:02 am

Nice, whats your major?

User avatar
Lawbro
Posts: 294
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Lsac GPA wtf!?

Postby Lawbro » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:58 pm

Poly sci and Philosophy. This thread inspired me to check, and I too got an F for the class I withdrew from (after less than a week of class). Did you talk to anybody about this?

User avatar
Geetar Man
Posts: 585
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 4:13 am

Re: Lsac GPA wtf!?

Postby Geetar Man » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:22 pm

I wonder if this is a problem specifically with stonybrooke and not with lsac.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bellaboo, bleakchimera2, dan9257, MSNbot Media, Pugnax and 5 guests