Chances at Transfer from GW -> T14

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sgt101st
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:52 pm

Chances at Transfer from GW -> T14

Postby sgt101st » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:05 pm

Greetings all,

Basic question. Trying to decide between retaking LSAT and waiting a cycle, or attending GW and knocking out my 1L and transfer into T14. Anywhere to get transfer statistics broken down by school, or just any anecdotal evidence? Nothing against GW, great school, just not concentrating in what I'm interested in.

GPA: 3.85 (but 3.2 LSDAS because of schooling before time in Army, even with 4.0 this semester it will top out at 3.25)
LSAT: 169

User avatar
goldenflash19
Posts: 477
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Chances at Transfer from GW -> T14

Postby goldenflash19 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:27 pm

Wait a cycle and retake. A lot of people plan on transferring but get screwed by the median and wind up stuck where they're at. Don't go to a school if you're not comfortable graduating from there.

User avatar
instantwonton
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:30 pm

Re: Chances at Transfer from GW -> T14

Postby instantwonton » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:41 pm

I would probably go to GW this year if I were you. GW is a good school and I think that your LSDAS GPA will severely limit your options at T14 even if you can manage to get a higher score on the LSAT. I think that you would have a better chance at T14 with a year of strong grades at GW than a low LSDAS GPA and the potential of a somewhat higher LSAT. However, if you wouldn't want to live in DC and/or possibly finish your degree at GW, it wouldn't be worth it just in case you are not able to transfer out after 1L. Did you get any $$ or is it sticker?

User avatar
PinkCow
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:03 am

Re: Chances at Transfer from GW -> T14

Postby PinkCow » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:49 pm

Never ever ever ever attend a school if you're not completely sure you'd be happy staying there for 3 years. To make any reasonable transfer jump you'd have to be at least top 10%. Chances are very good that you won't be top 10%.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: Chances at Transfer from GW -> T14

Postby 071816 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:00 pm

PinkCow wrote:Never ever ever ever attend a school if you're not completely sure you'd be happy staying there for 3 years.

lawyerwannabe
Posts: 945
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:39 pm

Re: Chances at Transfer from GW -> T14

Postby lawyerwannabe » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:04 pm

sgt101st wrote:Greetings all,

Basic question. Trying to decide between retaking LSAT and waiting a cycle, or attending GW and knocking out my 1L and transfer into T14. Anywhere to get transfer statistics broken down by school, or just any anecdotal evidence? Nothing against GW, great school, just not concentrating in what I'm interested in.

GPA: 3.85 (but 3.2 LSDAS because of schooling before time in Army, even with 4.0 this semester it will top out at 3.25)
LSAT: 169


I have heard other posters: "Never attend a law school where you would not be happy graduating from the median."

I like that rule because no one knows how they will do on exams and it makes you really think about attending law school before sinking hundreds of thousands of dollars into an education that you may be pursuing for all the wrong reasons.

Attending with the intention of transferring to the T14 is an awful idea.

sgt101st
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:52 pm

Re: Chances at Transfer from GW -> T14

Postby sgt101st » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:37 pm

I haven't discussed the possible $$ yet, but likely to be covered because of voc rehab through the VA. One of the lucky few who doesn't have to worry about the tuition cost.

I should have noted, I already live in DC.

User avatar
quiver
Posts: 864
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: Chances at Transfer from GW -> T14

Postby quiver » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:25 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:
sgt101st wrote:Greetings all,

Basic question. Trying to decide between retaking LSAT and waiting a cycle, or attending GW and knocking out my 1L and transfer into T14. Anywhere to get transfer statistics broken down by school, or just any anecdotal evidence? Nothing against GW, great school, just not concentrating in what I'm interested in.

GPA: 3.85 (but 3.2 LSDAS because of schooling before time in Army, even with 4.0 this semester it will top out at 3.25)
LSAT: 169


I have heard other posters: "Never attend a law school where you would not be happy graduating from the median."

I like that rule because no one knows how they will do on exams and it makes you really think about attending law school before sinking hundreds of thousands of dollars into an education that you may be pursuing for all the wrong reasons.

Attending with the intention of transferring to the T14 is an awful idea.
This.
chimp wrote:
PinkCow wrote:Never ever ever ever attend a school if you're not completely sure you'd be happy staying there for 3 years.
PinkCow wrote:Never ever ever ever attend a school if you're not completely sure you'd be happy staying there for 3 years. To make any reasonable transfer jump you'd have to be at least top 10%. Chances are very good that you won't be top 10%.
And this. You cannot predict how you'll do in law school. If you want a T14, retake.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Chances at Transfer from GW -> T14

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:04 pm

YOU ARE SO UNLIKELY TO TRANSFER THAT YOU SHOULD NEVER PLAN ON IT AS A 0L.

Locked. If I moved this to the "Transfers" forum where it belongs, it'd get locked there anyway.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=170597




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], magic, MSNbot Media and 6 guests