Advice on Re-applying Next Cycle Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
masked kavana

Bronze

Advice on Re-applying Next Cycle

Post by masked kavana » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:12 pm

Barring miracle acceptances at Harvard (hold) or Cornell (reserve) which I seriously doubt will happen :( my cycle is pretty much over.

I applied with a 2.42/167 and have so far gotten into:

UMinn 23k/yr. scholarship
W&M 6k/yr
L&C 11k/yr
WF 10k/yr

and WL at Hastings.

I have been able to retroactively withdraw from a lot of my old classes because I was undiagnosed as bipolar and my GPA went up to a 3.17 (I may be able to bump it a bit more in the future as this is my last semester in UG and I have a couple of F's and D's I may still be able to withdraw from)

So should I sit out this year and reapply for next? Would the acceptances be any different?

I'm a non-traditional student non-URM Latino.

tl;dr applied with 2.42/167 this cycle did ok, should I reapply next cycle with a 3.17/167? Would the schools that accept/reject me change?

Thanks for the help!

GatorCTS

Bronze

Re: Advice on Re-applying Next Cycle

Post by GatorCTS » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:22 pm

I would def hold off until next year. With such a drastic change in your GPA it will greatly enhance your odds at many other schools. Not only will you be able to apply to different schools, your scholarship opportunities also increase with a higher GPA. Get a job in the meantime and try to save up some money. Also apply early next year and you will be in good shape. Unless you are truly set on going this year and like the schools you have been admitted to, wait a year.

moneybagsphd

Silver

Post by moneybagsphd » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:24 pm

Also retake.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:37 pm

You absolutely should reapply next cycle. You're going almost a full point up on your GPA. Depending how schools in the T14 view a non-URM latino, I could definitely see you getting into Northwestern, Georgetown, Duke or Cornell next cycle. You might even have a chance if you ED to UVA.

It's wonderful for you that you were able to withdraw from those classes. Don't waste the opportunity.

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:39 pm

your lsac gpa went up to that or your UG's way of calculating did?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

masked kavana

Bronze

Post by masked kavana » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:56 pm

Thanks for all of the replies. I was leaning towards waiting but didn't know if it would be worth it since my GPA is still not the greatest.

And it is my LSAC GPA that went up.

The way UG calculates it I have a 3.55 so I'm trying to get close to that from LSAC

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:58 pm

in my view, the only reason that ad comms care about numbers is to increase their actual percentiles. since your gpa is still below the 25th at the places that you would reapply to, it's not changing much. that said, i have no idea what im talking about and just post on this board to pass time at work

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:20 pm

masked kavana wrote:Thanks for all of the replies. I was leaning towards waiting but didn't know if it would be worth it since my GPA is still not the greatest.

And it is my LSAC GPA that went up.

The way UG calculates it I have a 3.55 so I'm trying to get close to that from LSAC
Getting your GPA over 3.0 makes a difference, but retaking to 170+ would make a bigger one.

john1990

Silver

Post by john1990 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:45 pm

masked kavana wrote:Barring miracle acceptances at Harvard (hold) or Cornell (reserve) which I seriously doubt will happen :( my cycle is pretty much over.

I applied with a 2.42/167 and have so far gotten into:

UMinn 23k/yr. scholarship
W&M 6k/yr
L&C 11k/yr
WF 10k/yr

and WL at Hastings.

I have been able to retroactively withdraw from a lot of my old classes because I was undiagnosed as bipolar and my GPA went up to a 3.17 (I may be able to bump it a bit more in the future as this is my last semester in UG and I have a couple of F's and D's I may still be able to withdraw from)

So should I sit out this year and reapply for next? Would the acceptances be any different?

I'm a non-traditional student non-URM Latino.

tl;dr applied with 2.42/167 this cycle did ok, should I reapply next cycle with a 3.17/167? Would the schools that accept/reject me change?

Thanks for the help!
You could have your transcripts updated for this cycle to reflect your new GPA. Of course a few extra points on the LSAT will go a long way too.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nobody

Bronze

Post by Nobody » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:51 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:in my view, the only reason that ad comms care about numbers is to increase their actual percentiles. since your gpa is still below the 25th at the places that you would reapply to, it's not changing much. that said, i have no idea what im talking about and just post on this board to pass time at work
There's some pretty good evidence that, especially in the T-14, a lot of schools don't like to dip below 3.3 except in very extreme circumstances.

dproduct

Gold

Post by dproduct » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:34 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:You absolutely should reapply next cycle. You're going almost a full point up on your GPA. Depending how schools in the T14 view a non-URM latino, I could definitely see you getting into Northwestern, Georgetown, Duke or Cornell next cycle. You might even have a chance if you ED to UVA.

It's wonderful for you that you were able to withdraw from those classes. Don't waste the opportunity.
This. Get a FT job. Do some volunteer work. Even retake if you think you can do better. Law schools will be there next year.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”