What is going on with my cycle?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
texascutie

What is going on with my cycle?

Postby texascutie » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:31 am

I'm in at Berkeley and NYU, waitlisted at Georgetown and UVA, "on hold" at Northwestern.

thederangedwang

Re: What is going on with my cycle?

Postby thederangedwang » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:39 am

would help if you provided stats...or any sort of context

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:41 am

thederangedwang wrote:would help if you provided stats...or any sort of context

LOL.

+ 1

Could be yield protection, but that is a lot less common in the t14 than most people here would have you believe. YP at three schools is especially unlikely.

When did you apply? Is there anything unusual about your application or background?

Postby 062914123 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:41 am

Last edited by 062914123 on Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

texascutie

Postby texascutie » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:43 am

sorry. mid 170s LSAT, ~3.9 GPA.

I did apply kinda late, but my NYU app was later than anything else. As far as I know, my background is pretty typical.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:45 am

NU cares a lot about showing a lot of interest in the school, GULC may be a YP (I think it's the most likely of the three), and UVA WLs EVERYBODY

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:48 am

JamMasterJ wrote:NU cares a lot about showing a lot of interest in the school, GULC may be a YP (I think it's the most likely of the three), and UVA WLs EVERYBODY

Yeah, UVA has been weird this cycle.

Do you have any work experience? NU has a strong preference for WE. Applying late, without WE, and with no demonstrated interest could explain NU.

brettashley

Postby brettashley » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:49 am

My cycle sounds exactly the same as yours, OP. In at Berkeley and NYU, WL at UVA and GULC, on hold at Northwestern.

JamMasterJ wrote:NU cares a lot about showing a lot of interest in the school, GULC may be a YP (I think it's the most likely of the three), and UVA WLs EVERYBODY

From what I've picked up looking around the forums, that seems to be pretty accurate.

I wouldn't sweat it, unless you really wanted UVA, Georgetown, or Northwestern. You have great options.

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:49 am

UVA non ed out of state is always a shitfest. NU -- do you have work experience?

GTTTown? You should be thanking them for not accepting you.

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:56 am

Sometimes things just don't go as expected? Since you got in to Boalt and NYU you can assume that there's nothing wrong with your application (like a horrible PS) so maybe it's just luck? Without getting into too many specifics, my cycle last year was like that, I got rejected by Michigan (where I'm originally from and my uncle attended) and waitlisted by Vanderbilt (and I live in Tennessee), but I also got into some higher ranked schools and some great scholarship offers.

texascutie

Postby texascutie » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:06 am

Yeah, I can't complain. Just kinda curious about how this process really works.

brettashley wrote:My cycle sounds exactly the same as yours, OP. In at Berkeley and NYU, WL at UVA and GULC, on hold at Northwestern.

From what I've picked up looking around the forums, that seems to be pretty accurate.

I wouldn't sweat it, unless you really wanted UVA, Georgetown, or Northwestern. You have great options.

Worker and Parasite

Postby Worker and Parasite » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:33 am

From your stats alone I wouldn't say your cycle is really weird. I would expect an NYU and Berkeley admit out of that GPA and like people said above GULC is likely a YP. UVa you can roll a dice for.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:00 am

UVA definitely YPs at a very high rate for those with your stats. I'm not surprised at that at all. I don't know whether Georgetown likes to YP too. Northwestern was just weird.

Geetar Man

Postby Geetar Man » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:10 pm

Is yield protection primarily concerned with schools that don't want to "up" their acceptance rate because they know (assume) that the student has good enough stats to get into a better school? Whats this bizarre phenomenon all about?

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:13 pm

Geetar Man wrote:Is yield protection primarily concerned with schools that don't want to "up" their acceptance rate because they know (assume) that the student has good enough stats to get into a better school? Whats this bizarre phenomenon all about?

If a school know that the student has the numbers to get into better schools, they might decide to reject/WL the applicant so that: 1) Their yield % doesn't decrease, and 2) Their acceptance rate decreases. Both of these numbers are beneficial to the school, so they have an incentive to keep their yield % high and their acceptance rate low.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:14 pm

Geetar Man wrote:Is yield protection primarily concerned with schools that don't want to "up" their acceptance rate because they know (assume) that the student has good enough stats to get into a better school? Whats this bizarre phenomenon all about?

School are penalized in the rankings for every offer they make that gets rejected..hence...schools want a high matriculation rate (like yale's insane 6% admit rate and 75-80% matriculation)...
so yeah you got the basic idea...if uva admits people with 180, 4.33 then those admits would prob be wasted since 7/10 people would go to HYS, then the remaining 3/10 would go to CCN with money

iamrobk

Postby iamrobk » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:19 pm

texascutie wrote:sorry. mid 170s LSAT, ~3.9 GPA.

I did apply kinda late, but my NYU app was later than anything else. As far as I know, my background is pretty typical.

Did you apply to HYS? You should definitely be in at at least 1 of them with those numbers.

bmore

Postby bmore » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:25 pm

I got roasted last year for just asking the same question (Is it yield protect?). I would say that YP is a likely possibility. But the application IS a factor. Did you write a "why" essay? That may have helped at UVA. If none, they go heavy on the YP. It's not too late, but if you are just doing it for the acceptance and don't intend to go, why waste your time.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”