can they do this? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
swtlilsoni

Bronze

can they do this?

Post by swtlilsoni » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:38 pm

I applied ED to GULC. Their terms say they will give a decision by 3 weeks I think. However the 3 week deadline was over yesterday and my app is still pending. I called and they said that since I had an interview last week it will take longer to reach a decision, but it will still be binding ED. However nowhere in the ED agreement or anywhere on their site is it noted that the 3 week deadline is voided if you get an interview. All it says is three weeks period. Are they allowed to just change the 3 week deadline like that?

ben4847

Silver

Re: can they do this?

Post by ben4847 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:41 pm

I don't see why this makes a difference to you, besides for being annoyed at not getting a response sooner. If you want to pull the application, you still can.

GatorCTS

Bronze

Post by GatorCTS » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:43 pm

swtlilsoni wrote:I applied ED to GULC. Their terms say they will give a decision by 3 weeks I think. However the 3 week deadline was over yesterday and my app is still pending. I called and they said that since I had an interview last week it will take longer to reach a decision, but it will still be binding ED. However nowhere in the ED agreement or anywhere on their site is it noted that the 3 week deadline is voided if you get an interview. All it says is three weeks period. Are they allowed to just change the 3 week deadline like that?
Idk, thats a tough situation. If it goes more than 4 weeks I dont see how they can hold you to ED if they did not uphold their end of the deal. Id cut them a couple days slack because this time of year is the busiest for all the Adcomms. If you dont hear anything tomorrow, id give them another call and try to figure out what the deal is and see if you can work something out.

landla

Bronze

Post by landla » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:20 pm

GatorCTS wrote:
swtlilsoni wrote:I applied ED to GULC. Their terms say they will give a decision by 3 weeks I think. However the 3 week deadline was over yesterday and my app is still pending. I called and they said that since I had an interview last week it will take longer to reach a decision, but it will still be binding ED. However nowhere in the ED agreement or anywhere on their site is it noted that the 3 week deadline is voided if you get an interview. All it says is three weeks period. Are they allowed to just change the 3 week deadline like that?
Idk, thats a tough situation. If it goes more than 4 weeks I dont see how they can hold you to ED if they did not uphold their end of the deal. Id cut them a couple days slack because this time of year is the busiest for all the Adcomms. If you dont hear anything tomorrow, id give them another call and try to figure out what the deal is and see if you can work something out.
I wouldn't call and annoy them - that just may lead them to reject you.

Wait until you get a response or call again if you don't hear in another week. I suppose that, if you wanted to be difficult and no longer want to attend there, you can make a big deal of it. However, even if you get accepted under this program, if you then make a big issue of it and do get the binding part dropped, I believe (depending on the contract, but most likely) that they will re-review your app... likely leading to a rejection.

ben4847

Silver

Post by ben4847 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:39 pm

Do you still want them to say yes? Or do you want out?
Because if you want out, can't you always withdraw an ED app until they say you are accepted?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

boosk

Bronze

Post by boosk » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:45 pm

This sounds pretty ridiculous. If they break the contract, then the contract is void. I don't see how it could be truly binding if they've gone over the limit.
Last edited by boosk on Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theadvancededit

Bronze

Post by theadvancededit » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:39 pm

swtlilsoni wrote:Are they allowed to just change the 3 week deadline like that?
Unless it's explicitly stated in the contract, probably.

fundamentallybroken

Silver

Post by fundamentallybroken » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:58 pm

boosk wrote:This sounds pretty rediculous. If they break the contract, then the contract is void. I don't see how it could be truly binding if they've gone over the limit.
Lol. If you still want to go there, I would definitely write them a letter summarizing the above, and send it certified mail. Nothing says good potential as a lawyer than a 0L demand letter.

boosk

Bronze

Post by boosk » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:20 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:
boosk wrote:This sounds pretty rediculous. If they break the contract, then the contract is void. I don't see how it could be truly binding if they've gone over the limit.
Lol. If you still want to go there, I would definitely write them a letter summarizing the above, and send it certified mail. Nothing says good potential as a lawyer than a 0L demand letter.
haha all I'm saying is that if (s)he gets accepted to GULC, (s)he shouldn't withdraw his/her applications elsewhere if (s)he doesn't want to.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:51 pm

boosk wrote:If they break the contract, then the contract is void.
That's not really how it works.

To the OP - I understand your frustration, but be polite whenever you interact with someone at their office. Don't make any hasty decisions out of frustration, because those can come back to haunt you. Just wait it out, try to contact them occasionally to see what's going on. I don't think there's much you can do now besides withdraw your application, but it doesn't sound like that's what you want to do.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”