Anothr casualty o/t law schl scam: Your parents' retirement Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MTal

Silver

Anothr casualty o/t law schl scam: Your parents' retirement

Post by MTal » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:42 pm

Student Loan Crisis Busts Retirement Accounts

http://www.cnbc.com/id/46386779

Summary: Lenders have figured out that they will never be able to collect from unemployed grads with no skills (soon to be many on this site) and have therefore gone after the co-signers. Little did the cosigners realize that even their retirement/pensions were at stake when they agreed to sign on the dotted line. Welcome to the new economy.

ggibelli

Bronze

Re: Anothr casualty o/t law schl scam: Your parents' retirement

Post by ggibelli » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:46 pm

is it really new news to you that lenders will go after a co-signer on a loan? :roll:

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:47 pm

ggibelli wrote:is it really new news to you that lenders will go after a co-signer on a loan? :roll:
No. The news is the frequency and the amount of the depletions.

T00L

Silver

Post by T00L » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:51 pm

MTal,

You are probably single-handedly responsible for the 16.7% drop in test takers this year. I think you have it in you to break 20%...

Keep up the good work!

T

ben4847

Silver

Post by ben4847 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:54 pm

Did someone cosign my student loans? I don't remember that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:10 pm

It isn't just co-signing, it includes parents having to take out parent plus loans to cover costs for their kids. Parents don't have access to funds they were relying on to pay for school tuition. They have lost home equity and their stock portfolios have been hit hard.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:59 pm

Using a retirement account as collateral for a loan is a prohibited transaction. The article doesn't say that lenders are actually going after retirement accounts, because they can't. Some parents are using retirement funds to keep the loans current, and others are simply not saving as much for retirement in order to service the debt.

Jaeger

Bronze

Post by Jaeger » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:14 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Using a retirement account as collateral for a loan is a prohibited transaction. The article doesn't say that lenders are actually going after retirement accounts, because they can't. Some parents are using retirement funds to keep the loans current, and others are simply not saving as much for retirement in order to service the debt.

This.

NomNom

Bronze

Post by NomNom » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:58 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Using a retirement account as collateral for a loan is a prohibited transaction. The article doesn't say that lenders are actually going after retirement accounts, because they can't. Some parents are using retirement funds to keep the loans current, and others are simply not saving as much for retirement in order to service the debt.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

d.schoenfeld16

New

Post by d.schoenfeld16 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:40 pm

My theory is that MTal does not have the requisite people skills required to land a job, so he is trying to blame society for his glaring deficiencies.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:00 pm

this article is also about Parent PLUS loans, which you can't get for grad school. MTal isn't even trying any more.

NomNom

Bronze

Post by NomNom » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:15 pm

fatduck wrote:this article is also about Parent PLUS loans, which you can't get for grad school. MTal isn't even trying any more.

SilverE2

Silver

Post by SilverE2 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:48 pm

Unless you go private, law school loans aren't cosigned...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:06 pm

d.schoenfeld16 wrote:My theory is that MTal does not have the requisite people skills required to land a job, so he is trying to blame society for his glaring deficiencies.
I work in the financial services industry, series 7/63 licensed broker. I have a very nice salary on top of huge commissions which typically form anywhere from 33-50 % of my total salary.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:11 pm

MTal wrote:
d.schoenfeld16 wrote:My theory is that MTal does not have the requisite people skills required to land a job, so he is trying to blame society for his glaring deficiencies.
I work in the financial services industry, series 7/63 licensed broker. I have a very nice salary on top of huge commissions which typically form anywhere from 33-50 % of my total salary.
And yet, despite having shitloads of cash and being able to afford vacations, video games, hookers, blow, etc... You continue to post in here, where you don't really have an interest, for funsies... :roll:

in2win

Bronze

Post by in2win » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:12 pm

MTal wrote:

how do you have time to post on TLS on a weekday in the afternoon then?

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:14 pm

spleenworship wrote:
MTal wrote:
And yet, despite having shitloads of cash and being able to afford vacations, video games, hookers, blow, etc... You continue to post in here, where you don't really have an interest, for funsies... :roll:
I do post here occasionally when I have some free time at work, or otherwise. As my 1.62 posts per day here, I definitely keep it to a minimum.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:19 pm

MTal wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
MTal wrote:
I do post here occasionally when I have some free time at work, or otherwise. As my 1.62 posts per day here, I definitely keep it to a minimum.
Arguendo let us say you have the job... Still doesn't explain why you bother to post here...

T00L

Silver

Post by T00L » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:19 pm

As long as you keep on discouraging future applicants I'm good.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”