Applying with nothing!? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Clearly

Gold

Applying with nothing!?

Post by Clearly » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:01 am

I'm a late decision to attend, and I'm trying to pull off a miracle this cycle.
At the moment, I've submitted all of my transcripts, but they havent been processed yet
I've taken the Feb lsat, and the score hasn't been released yet (but I think I did well)
I'm getting my LORs mailed out this week,
and I haven't finished my PS yet

Essentially, I have literally no data in my lsac account. Several of the schools I'm applying to have March deadlines (Fordham, Vandy), but many that I'd consider applying to, close in an hour. Would I be immediately discarded if I apply on the day of the deadline, with absolutely no information in my account yet, or would I just be considered an incomplete file just like any other.
What should I do!

I did get a chance to speak with Fordham, and they said send it out, even with nothing.

lsatcrazy

Bronze

Re: Applying with nothing!?

Post by lsatcrazy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:06 am

Save your money, wait a year.

llachans

Silver

Post by llachans » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:07 am

I personally don't understand why you wouldn't take off a year to apply with the best stats and best mindset that you could. If your decision is all of a sudden, I'd take off a year to also reevaluate your goals and make sure your heart is 100% into law school. It's a huge commitment and I'd advise against just jumping into it.

Also, it's really difficult to choose schools to apply to if you don't have a score. You could've done dramatically better or worse than your practice tests. Use your year off to get some work experience and use the summer to study the LSAT even more.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:18 am

Eh, perhaps I over summarized for the sake of getting the post online as fast as possible.
I've planned on law school for years, and always intended to apply, and I'm sure it's what I want to do.
Circumstances outside of my control caused me to have to take the Feb Lsat, so I would be this late in the game anyway.
The transcripts, I didn't think would take this long to be put together.

In the last year I've taken enough tests to know my range pretty well with the lsat, I guarantee 165+, and quite likely higher. My GPA is a 3.4, but we have to see how the LSAC butchers it.

In either case, I'm applying this cycle to at least the schools that don't close applications in 45 minutes, I wouldn't go to a school worse then fordham at sticker, so that's what I'm shooting for at this point. While I'm open to taking the June and waiting, for the sake of the question, lets assume waiting a year is 100% out of the question short of being denied from every school I'd be willing to attend.

Would I be better off application wise to apply once all my data is in for the March schools, Fordham, Vandy etc; or apply now, and let them wait for my data to be released.

For the Feb 15th schools, is it worth applying with no data on file tonight? They're just gonna sit on an empty manilla folder for a week or two anyway, but at least my foots in the door...

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:24 am

Just wait, you don't even have a LSAT score.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:29 am

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

instantwonton

New

Post by instantwonton » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:26 pm

I would wait a year also if I were in your shoes.

Since you wanted to know what to do assuming that you couldn't wait a year, I would hold off on applying to the March deadline schools until you have everything in also. You said that you're not done with your personal statement yet, so it would be better to take your time to finish it and maybe have someone read it over also instead of rushing and sending it out right now. Also, I think it would probably just look better to have the other information already in your file when you send it out.

Good luck!

theadvancededit

Bronze

Post by theadvancededit » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:31 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote: I wouldn't go to a school worse then fordham at sticker, so that's what I'm shooting for at this point.
You're gambling a lot on a shot in the dark. Being so late in the game and running on just a projected LSAT score could prove a waste of time/money. Why not wait a year with the best stats possible? Even if you get in now, you could be forfeiting a chance of at least some scholarship money.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:01 pm

theadvancededit wrote:
Clearlynotstefan wrote: I wouldn't go to a school worse then fordham at sticker, so that's what I'm shooting for at this point.
You're gambling a lot on a shot in the dark. Being so late in the game and running on just a projected LSAT score could prove a waste of time/money. Why not wait a year with the best stats possible? Even if you get in now, you could be forfeiting a chance of at least some scholarship money.
That's basically where I'm leaning. If I got in to Fordham at sticker I would go. My plan thus far is just to apply to march schools, and Cardozo. If I get into Fordham or Vandy I go, if not I wait a year and do it early in the cycle. The only reason I'm app,young to dozo is just to have an acceptance letter, something to boost my spirits basically lol, I wouldn't go.

What frustrates me is I'd like to go ASAP, I really don't want to take time off. Especially not a year and a half. On the other hand, I could do better on the lsat. I never plateaued when studying.Im always minus -1,2 on RC and lg...and didn't usually do well at LG. In the week leading up to the test, I had the aha moment with logic games, and started dng much better with them. If I retook in June I could destroy that test... So I suppose it's a win win, I just really don't want to wait.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

T00L

Silver

Post by T00L » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:15 pm

I'm picturing SMOKEY (AP style, no "the") BEAR holding a sign and pointing right at you and saying,

"Only YOU can prevent yourself from being a dumbass."

I know it hurts to wait. For me, anyway, the current "gap" year has been quite hellish with some deep-seeded family issues, but taking the extra year and applying early is like getting a 2pt lsat jump. Even the schools I got into last time are giving me WAY more money now, for no other reason I can see.

G.I. JOE: "Now you know...and knowing is half the battle"

odetojefferson

New

Post by odetojefferson » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:20 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:
In the last year I've taken enough tests to know my range pretty well with the lsat, I guarantee 165+, and quite likely higher. My GPA is a 3.4, but we have to see how the LSAC butchers it.
There are ways to figure out your LSAC GPA. It really sounds like you'd benefit from waiting.

theadvancededit

Bronze

Post by theadvancededit » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:23 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote: What frustrates me is I'd like to go ASAP, I really don't want to take time off. Especially not a year and a half. On the other hand, I could do better on the lsat. I never plateaued when studying.Im always minus -1,2 on RC and lg...and didn't usually do well at LG. In the week leading up to the test, I had the aha moment with logic games, and started dng much better with them. If I retook in June I could destroy that test... So I suppose it's a win win, I just really don't want to wait.
Not to pry but, why did you wait until now if you've wanted to do this for so long? And, realistically, what is the worst thing that could happen if you wait another year? Another year of work experience (and better odds next cycle) wouldn't hurt. However, if there are other circumstances aside from impatience informing your decision, then that changes things a bit.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”