Do schools reject higher scores to admit lower scores?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
FreeLolita

Re: Do schools reject higher scores to admit lower scores?

Postby FreeLolita » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:26 pm

pret wrote:Schools may reject an applicant with high scores and admit an applicant with low scores, but I only see this happening if the adcom finds the former to be a dud and the latter to be really unique. LSP told me I had a >5% of getting into Cardozo and Maryland, I got waitlisted at both. However, this is definitely not the norm.

Dude, no offense, but unless you have ABSOLUTELY no business applying to a school, you're most likely be waitlisted first in many instances. Don't worry though; those schools will reject you eventually.

pret

Postby pret » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:24 am

FreeLolita wrote:
pret wrote:Schools may reject an applicant with high scores and admit an applicant with low scores, but I only see this happening if the adcom finds the former to be a dud and the latter to be really unique. LSP told me I had a >5% of getting into Cardozo and Maryland, I got waitlisted at both. However, this is definitely not the norm.

Dude, no offense, but unless you have ABSOLUTELY no business applying to a school, you're most likely be waitlisted first in many instances. Don't worry though; those schools will reject you eventually.

Nah, I don't think you know enough about my particular circumstance. Besides, if I'm not in by May, I'm retaking the LSAT and since I know I can score 6+ more than I did, I'm feeling pretty confident.

To the OP: schools normally DON'T admit someone well below their medians. If they do, you're an anomaly.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:49 am

There are various reasons why a school would take applicants with lower scores:

1. Geographic Diversity - Larger metropolitan areas in certain states likely have more law school applicants with high scores than smaller metropolitan ares and other states; therefore, if the school is interested in having a geographically diverse class, the school can only take so many students from those large areas regardless of their scores and they are prioritized by when they apply.

2. Gender, Ethnic, International and Sexual Orientation Diversity - obvious.

3. School Diversity - Many law schools want school diversity. For some schools, this means taking lower scoring candidates from the Ivy League/Public Ivy/Oberlin 50 etc if that is the only way the school can get them. For other schools, this means a combination of high profile schools and low profile schools.

4. Risks - Many law school applicants have a strong black mark or multiple black marks that would adversely affect the ability of those applicants to pass character and fitness. In addition, those marks indicate that those candidates may continue to behave in such a way during law school that would prevent them from taking the bar exam.

5. Academic misadventures - Some law school applicants have attempted other academic endeavors and failed/dropped out. Some schools will not accept these candidates if there are slightly less risky candidates available. Other schools will not care as much.

6. Prestige - Some candidates are related to well known people/are filthy rich. Every school reserves a few spots for these candidates, and they would be admitted regardless of their scores (think George W. Bush or Will Smith's kid).

turkey

Postby turkey » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:39 pm

PDaddy wrote::roll: This looks like one of those u-know-what threads in disguise, and the question is silly. If a school is accepting lower numbers in favor of higher numbers, it's for reasons that have nothing to do with it's established medians, 25%/75%, etc.

Third, your claim that you suspect but don't lament that a student with lower numbers may be admitted over you don't is disengenuous, at best. Why wouldn't you complain? Most students have a problem with that when it happens because it means they lacked something in their soft factors that another student possessed. That's like a murder with no motive. It's scary because it's tougher to solve...looking for the magic stuff that makes an admissions committee say "Yes", right?

Other than that, yeah...this is a covert u-know-what thread...worded so that the subject is raised without OP having to raise it. :roll:

This wasnt a super secret da vinci code post disguised as anything.m My question was answered by others. The yield protection and WL answered my oddly worded question.

Thanks folks.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”