How does LOR process work?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Br3v

How does LOR process work?

Postby Br3v » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:14 pm

This may seem pretty elementary so I apologize in advance.

How does the process work? 2 questions

1) I am applying to law school next cycle (I am a current junior). If I would like a letter of recommendation from a current professor, do I ask him for that now then hang on to it for the next few months? Or do I ask him about it in a few months when he has forgotten who I am practically?

2) Do I receive the letter from the professor then submit it myself to the law school, or does the professor submit it directly to the law school? I ask because I have had a situation before where to keep the letter private, it was kept out of the hands of the student and sent directly. I think this is not the norm however because that letter in particular included a valuation if I remember correctly (high school).

Bonus question: Is this process the same for applying to other graduate schools? Specifically PhD programs.

rinkrat19

Re: How does LOR process work?

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:19 pm

Go to LSAC.org. Read about the application process: http://lsac.org/JD/apply/applying-to-law-school.asp

Specifically: http://lsac.org/jd/apply/cas-lor-evaluations.asp

Short answer: everything goes through LSAC's Credential Assembly Service. You sign up and pay for CAS and then LSAC will recieve and organize all of your required application materials, including transcripts and LORs. You also fill out all school applications online via LSAC.

You enter a prof as a recommender in the CAS system, the system generates a form with a barcode for you to print and sign and give to your prof, and your prof includes the form with his letter when he mails or faxes it to LSAC. The letter can sit there for months, so if it's convenient now, you can go ahead and get your letters. (Be warned that some profs take MONTHS to finish a letter.)

By signing the form, you are waiving your right to see the LOR.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:00 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Go to LSAC.org. Read about the application process: http://lsac.org/JD/apply/applying-to-law-school.asp

Short answer: everything goes through LSAC's Credential Assembly Service. You sign up and pay for CAS and then LSAC will recieve and organize all of your required application materials, including transcripts and LORs. You also fill out all school applications online via LSAC.

You enter a prof as a recommender in the CAS system, the system generates a form with a barcode for you to print and sign and give to your prof, and your prof includes the form with his letter when he mails or faxes it to LSAC. The letter can sit there for months, so if it's convenient now, you can go ahead and get your letters. (Be warned that some profs take MONTHS to finish a letter.)

Thank you this told me exactly what I needed.

You think the case is similar for PhD programs being that you apply directly to the individual schools instead of a central body such as LSAC?

HarveyBirdman

Postby HarveyBirdman » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:50 pm

What is the difference exactly between a recommender and an evaluator? How do you know if a school you might apply to requires some special evaluation form in addition to a generic letter? Or do they do that? I just remember applying to undergrad, some colleges had special forms.

Smumps

Postby Smumps » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:52 pm

To my knowledge, no schools, at this time, require the evaluation. Don't worry about it.

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:01 pm

Br3v wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Go to LSAC.org. Read about the application process: http://lsac.org/JD/apply/applying-to-law-school.asp

You think the case is similar for PhD programs being that you apply directly to the individual schools instead of a central body such as LSAC?

PhD programs vary greatly, so read the directions - some one everything in one evelope (so the prof hands you a letter in a sealed evelope) and other schools want the letter direct from the prof.

As a former college prof, I would say that a good time to ask for the letter is at the final exam, if your prof will be there (and not just a TA). Generally they will have time to write it during the break. Be sure to ask in person and then follow up with an email that includes your resume.

Ozymandias

Postby Ozymandias » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:31 am

Br3v wrote:1) I am applying to law school next cycle (I am a current junior). If I would like a letter of recommendation from a current professor, do I ask him for that now then hang on to it for the next few months? Or do I ask him about it in a few months when he has forgotten who I am practically?

Wait until you have grades from the professors you have currently to (1) make sure there are no surprises with your grades, and (2) to make sure they have an idea about how well you did relative to other classmates. When you get grades back, send them an email and ask if they'd be willing to meet to talk about a letter of recommendation. If they say yes, meet up with them and bring the form rinkrat mentioned, your resume, transcripts, and anything else they might want. I put everything in a nice folder so they'd have everything handy.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:46 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:
Br3v wrote:

PhD programs vary greatly, so read the directions - some one everything in one evelope (so the prof hands you a letter in a sealed evelope) and other schools want the letter direct from the prof.

As a former college prof, I would say that a good time to ask for the letter is at the final exam, if your prof will be there (and not just a TA). Generally they will have time to write it during the break. Be sure to ask in person and then follow up with an email that includes your resume.

I have taken this professor before, and have briefly communicated with him outside of the class (email, office hrs, etc nothing huge). I was thinking of asking him in person during his office hours during the last week of the semester. Would you recommend this? I do not necessarily want to ask him when I turn in my final exam as that would be in front of an entire classroom of students listening (smaller class, 30 or so students).

Also, is it rude to ask him to write a letter for both law school and PhD program at the same time? The PhD is in his field.

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:04 pm

I think going to his/her office hours would be fine, especially if you'd had a couple of courses and some of them have been smallish (I would know the name of every student in a class of 30). I also don't think that two letters would be out of line.

fosterp

Postby fosterp » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:48 pm

Make sure you ask well an advance.

I asked a prof in the second half of spring quarter, and then repeatedly reminded him about it all summer, all quarter, and it wasn't received by lsac until almost Christmas.

Thankfully it didn't seem to hurt my cycle applying later, other than just having to wait longer for decisions.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:00 pm

I can check on LSAC when they have received it correct?

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:06 pm

Br3v wrote:I can check on LSAC when they have received it correct?

Yes, your LSAC account will show when the letter had been processed and is ready to be assigned.

T00L

Postby T00L » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:07 pm

evaluations = waste of time.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”