Of all the stupid things one can do

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ColtsFan88

Of all the stupid things one can do

Postby ColtsFan88 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:10 pm

Since the beginning of my cycle UVA ED has been in the back of ky mind. About a month ago, I was in the verge of applying. Is filled out half the application when I got other news that made ED something I didn't want to do.

I decided to not apply at all, until today, when I convinced myself to because I had a fee waiver. Why not, I said. It's not my first choice, but who knows what time will bring.

So I applied, feeling good. My application is transmitted, and I suddenly remember that I never filled out an ED section at the end. That's cause I had already filled it out months ago, agreeing to apply ED.

I had to call the office and explain the situation. So embarrassing. I guess that's likely 16 dollars down the drain. Moral of the story: always look at the application preview.
Last edited by ColtsFan88 on Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScrabbleChamp

Re: Of all the stupid things on can do

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:20 pm

So... just to understand... you applied ED just now, thought you hadn't checked the ED box, then called to inform you hadn't checked the ED box, but they said you had? I don't think you are doomed if my summary is correct... it probably just shows them how committed you are by calling to inform you didn't think you had checked the box.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:23 pm

Who is On? And why do you care if he does stupid things?

ggibelli

Postby ggibelli » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:25 pm

lisjjen wrote:Who is On? And why do you care if he does stupid things?

this made me lol :lol:

ColtsFan88

Postby ColtsFan88 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:25 pm

No, I applied ED, didn't want to check the box, had to call and have my application amended to regular decision. Screwed.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:27 pm

ColtsFan88 wrote:No, I applied ED, didn't want to check the box, had to call and have my application amended to regular decision. Screwed.

Ahh... got it. I thought when you decided to apply, you were deciding to apply ED. Yeah... pretty much screwed. Although, you could always call them again and switch back to ED and you'd probably get in...

charliep

Postby charliep » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:30 pm

ColtsFan88 wrote:No, I applied ED, didn't want to check the box, had to call and have my application amended to regular decision. Screwed.

i did this at two schools :oops:

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:35 pm

If you have a 177, why are you applying ED outside of the T6? You probably saved yourself. You are what they call a splitter. And a 177 is what they call 99.9% percentile. That means you are going to have a varied and erratic cycle.

As a personal aside, I was going to apply ED to GULC but decided against it. Now that I have a very healthy scholarship to UT, I am really glad I didn't wind up doing it. The point is that a little flexibility goes a long ways in admissions.

ColtsFan88

Postby ColtsFan88 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:42 pm

lisjjen wrote:

If you have a 177, why are you applying ED outside of the T6? You probably saved yourself. You are what they call a splitter. And a 177 is what they call 99.9% percentile. That means you are going to have a varied and erratic cycle.

As a personal aside, I was going to apply ED to GULC but decided against it. Now that I have a very healthy scholarship to UT, I am really glad I didn't wind up doing it. The point is that a little flexibility goes a long ways in admissions.

This is exactly why I don't want to. I was considering it when my only acceptances were GW and IUB, and id just been WL at GULC.

lovejopd

Postby lovejopd » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:50 pm

Don't waste 177 on UVA

nkp007

Postby nkp007 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:53 pm

My brother's name is On. Thread title is accurate.

ColtsFan88

Postby ColtsFan88 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:13 pm

lovejopd wrote:Don't waste 177 on UVA

If you know I have a 177 then you know I have a 3.1. There aren't many higher ranked schools I have a shot at.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:16 pm

ColtsFan88 wrote:

If you know I have a 177 then you know I have a 3.1. There aren't many higher ranked schools I have a shot at.

Apps are down this year. Significantly. I'm not saying that anywhere in the top 10 is a slam dunk. But I'd say you at least have a shot.

lovejopd

Postby lovejopd » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:17 pm

ColtsFan88 wrote:

Yeah, I know, but you can ED to other higher ranked school first and come back to UVA ED
ex) New York/U-Michiagan/ --> UVA ED

I saw a thread regarding a multiple ED strategy that worked best for you if you are willing to sit out this cycle though...

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:20 pm

lovejopd wrote:
ColtsFan88 wrote:

Yeah, I know, but you can ED to other higher ranked school first and come back to UVA ED
ex) New York/U-Michiagan/ --> UVA ED

I saw a thread regarding a multiple ED strategy that worked best for you if you are willing to sit out this cycle though...

link?

Colts do you have WE? If so, good shot at NU RD.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:21 pm

lovejopd wrote:I saw a thread regarding a multiple ED strategy that worked best for you if you are willing to sit out this cycle though...

That is a very dangerous game. Keep in mind you (a 0L) are trying to play legal chicken with them (the men and women who form the laws of our nation and train our Supreme Court Justices, Presidents and Senators.)

ColtsFan88

Postby ColtsFan88 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:39 pm

Im not sitting out another cycle. I sat out last cycle with my only acceptance being IU-Indy. I'm ecstatic with the results from this cycle already. :lol:

lovejopd

Postby lovejopd » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:58 pm

lisjjen wrote:
lovejopd wrote:I saw a thread regarding a multiple ED strategy that worked best for you if you are willing to sit out this cycle though...

That is a very dangerous game. Keep in mind you (a 0L) are trying to play legal chicken with them (the men and women who form the laws of our nation and train our Supreme Court Justices, Presidents and Senators.)

No, what I mean is apply NY ED first in SEP/OCT and get dinged, and THEN, reapply ED to UVA as UVA guarantees 2 weeks result and no ED early deadline. But I believe this strategy does not work in Feb :-)

It is not applying to multiple schools "simultaneously". I am not encouraging a breach of contract. Sorry for confusion :mrgreen:

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”