ED now to Virginia?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Crowing

ED now to Virginia?

Postby Crowing » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:08 pm

Due to some problems I had with LoRs getting done I wasn't able to send out my completed applications until late Jan./early Feb. Let's say for anonymity purposes that my numbers are 3.4/174 (close enough). I basically hit up most of the T-14 sub HYS and though I definitely have my specific preferences within it, would probably be happy with just about any acceptance at this point. The only T-14s I didn't apply to were Cornell and Berkeley (missed deadline) and Georgetown and Virginia.

I don't really have any intentions of applying to GULC, so that essentially leaves me with UVA. My question is whether or not it would be worth it to ED now to UVA. Would I still have a good shot at being accepted? Does ED at UVA appreciably increase your odds? And while UVA is compelling, there are definitely other schools in the T-14 that I prefer; is it worth the risk of not applying ED to UVA in hopes that I can still get accepted to one of those other schools?

My backup plan is essentially WUSTL or Iowa; I'm hoping that my chances at those schools are still good despite my late applications. I would rather not wait a year to reapply but that is an option if absolutely necessary.

Doorkeeper

Re: ED now to Virginia?

Postby Doorkeeper » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:13 pm

I know you don't want to do it, but you could ED to Chicago next year and you stand a fighting chance at getting in. Looks like you'd get in at NYU too and have a shot at Penn. This is a decision that affects the rest of your life. Would you rather wait a year and get into Chicago/NYU/Penn, or have a chance at ED to UVA now?

I see someone on LSN that applied ED to UVA on 1/24 last year and got in with weaker stats (non-URM), so you'd definitely have a shot.

Real Madrid

Postby Real Madrid » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:05 am

Crowing wrote:Due to some problems I had with LoRs getting done I wasn't able to send out my completed applications until late Jan./early Feb. Let's say for anonymity purposes that my numbers are 3.4/174 (close enough). I basically hit up most of the T-14 sub HYS and though I definitely have my specific preferences within it, would probably be happy with just about any acceptance at this point. The only T-14s I didn't apply to were Cornell and Berkeley (missed deadline) and Georgetown and Virginia.

I don't really have any intentions of applying to GULC, so that essentially leaves me with UVA. My question is whether or not it would be worth it to ED now to UVA. Would I still have a good shot at being accepted? Does ED at UVA appreciably increase your odds? And while UVA is compelling, there are definitely other schools in the T-14 that I prefer; is it worth the risk of not applying ED to UVA in hopes that I can still get accepted to one of those other schools?

My backup plan is essentially WUSTL or Iowa; I'm hoping that my chances at those schools are still good despite my late applications. I would rather not wait a year to reapply but that is an option if absolutely necessary.

If you really want to go to UVA, I think ED is pretty much a lock. UVA Law is a complete whore for anything that boosts it's numbers, and it's ED system is the most formulaic of any school - be above one median and you're almost assuredly in, as they are obsessed with boosting their deceivingly high medians. It honestly is one school that probably never even looks past your LSAT/GPA.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:35 am

Real Madrid wrote:
If you really want to go to UVA, I think ED is pretty much a lock. UVA Law is a complete whore for anything that boosts it's numbers, and it's ED system is the most formulaic of any school - be above one median and you're almost assuredly in, as they are obsessed with boosting their deceivingly high medians. It honestly is one school that probably never even looks past your LSAT/GPA.

Not true.

Ignatius

Postby Ignatius » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:39 am

Real Madrid wrote:
Crowing wrote:Due to some problems I had with LoRs getting done I wasn't able to send out my completed applications until late Jan./early Feb. Let's say for anonymity purposes that my numbers are 3.4/174 (close enough). I basically hit up most of the T-14 sub HYS and though I definitely have my specific preferences within it, would probably be happy with just about any acceptance at this point. The only T-14s I didn't apply to were Cornell and Berkeley (missed deadline) and Georgetown and Virginia.

I don't know if that's entirely true. They just WL'ed me after I applied ED at the end of Jan with a 163/3.2 (white, undergrad, no super softs), and, though I know it could fall into the "soft reject" category, LSN shows they flat out reject people who apply ED with much higher numbers than mine.

However, LSN also seemingly indicates that ED along with "over one median" or at least "over one 75th" gives someone a pretty good shot at admission, so you definitely present a legitimate point. That said complete whore just sounds a tad harsh.

With respect to OP, I think you're clearly a (highly) competitive candidate for UVA whether you apply ED or not. My thought is that you'll get WL at the very least if you apply regular, and I believe you could then send in an ED form that would likely make you a lock off the WL. Don't take my word for it, though. In any case, I think with your numbers you'll definitely get into one of the T-14--it just becomes a matter of your preference(s). Good luck.

Real Madrid

Postby Real Madrid » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:59 am

Kabuo wrote:
Real Madrid wrote:

Not true.

Actually, pretty much everything I said is true, and LSN graphs from past years seem to support that, at least with regards to ED candidates. Sure, there are exceptions to any rule, but 9 people out of 10 above one median that write a "Why UVA" and don't have any major problems with their application will get in. Also, virtually no non-URMs that are below both medians are accepted. I realize that being below both medians usually indicates a low chance of success even with ED, but it seems to be literally impossible to gain admission to UVA if you are below both. If there's a particular part you disagree with, perhaps you can single it out instead of quoting my entire post and saying, "Not true."

iamrobk

Postby iamrobk » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:16 am

Doorkeeper wrote:I know you don't want to do it, but you could ED to Chicago next year and you stand a fighting chance at getting in. Looks like you'd get in at NYU too and have a shot at Penn. This is a decision that affects the rest of your life. Would you rather wait a year and get into Chicago/NYU/Penn, or have a chance at ED to UVA now?

I see someone on LSN that applied ED to UVA on 1/24 last year and got in with weaker stats (non-URM), so you'd definitely have a shot.

Yeah, you'd have a good/great chance at NYU and Penn (and Chicago, I guess? I'm not as familiar with what it takes to get in their ED) if you wait until next year, rather than forcing yourself to go to UVA (unless you really want to go there).

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:12 pm

Real Madrid wrote:
Kabuo wrote:
Real Madrid wrote:

Not true.

Actually, pretty much everything I said is true, and LSN graphs from past years seem to support that, at least with regards to ED candidates. Sure, there are exceptions to any rule, but 9 people out of 10 above one median that write a "Why UVA" and don't have any major problems with their application will get in. Also, virtually no non-URMs that are below both medians are accepted. I realize that being below both medians usually indicates a low chance of success even with ED, but it seems to be literally impossible to gain admission to UVA if you are below both. If there's a particular part you disagree with, perhaps you can single it out instead of quoting my entire post and saying, "Not true."

I know it wasn't true for me, and that it hasn't been true for at least 3 other >3 >172s last cycle who applied ED later in the cycle. I don't know how well that shows up on LSN, and don't care enough to check. But it's not nearly the lock that the TLS hivemind says it is, especially later in the cycle.

ColtsFan88

Postby ColtsFan88 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:27 pm

Real Madrid wrote:

This is so false. Honestly, if anything, UVA has a third criteria that really helps, much like WE at NU. Its in state residency in VA.

Postby 005618502 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:39 pm

Ignatius wrote:
Real Madrid wrote:

I don't know if that's entirely true. They just WL'ed me after I applied ED at the end of Jan with a 163/3.2 (white, undergrad, no super softs), and, though I know it could fall into the "soft reject" category, LSN shows they flat out reject people who apply ED with much higher numbers than mine.

However, LSN also seemingly indicates that ED along with "over one median" or at least "over one 75th" gives someone a pretty good shot at admission, so you definitely present a legitimate point. That said complete whore just sounds a tad harsh.

With respect to OP, I think you're clearly a (highly) competitive candidate for UVA whether you apply ED or not. My thought is that you'll get WL at the very least if you apply regular, and I believe you could then send in an ED form that would likely make you a lock off the WL. Don't take my word for it, though. In any case, I think with your numbers you'll definitely get into one of the T-14--it just becomes a matter of your preference(s). Good luck.

Dude you are way below both medians, they are saying above one median and below another you are in. 4.0 160+ you are in. 170 + and 3.0 + you are in. Below both medians, likely (almost definitely) wont get in

Real Madrid

Postby Real Madrid » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:59 pm

ColtsFan88 wrote:
Real Madrid wrote:

This is so false. Honestly, if anything, UVA has a third criteria that really helps, much like WE at NU. Its in state residency in VA.

I thought it was understood that we were talking about non-residents, but perhaps I should have added that disclaimer to my post. For OOS applicants, do an ED application search on LSN and you'll see just how formulaic UVA's ED system is.

Postby 005618502 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:03 pm

Real Madrid wrote:
ColtsFan88 wrote:
Real Madrid wrote:

I thought it was understood that we were talking about non-residents, but perhaps I should have added that disclaimer to my post. For OOS applicants, do an ED application search on LSN and you'll see just how formulaic UVA's ED system is.

Wow even 1 below 160 got in.....

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/JudgeMonty/jd

Ignatius

Postby Ignatius » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:30 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
Ignatius wrote:
Real Madrid wrote:

Dude you are way below both medians, they are saying above one median and below another you are in. 4.0 160+ you are in. 170 + and 3.0 + you are in. Below both medians, likely (almost definitely) wont get in

I'm confused. That's exactly what I said:

"However, LSN also seemingly indicates that ED along with "over one median" or at least "over one 75th" gives someone a pretty good shot at admission, so you definitely present a legitimate point. That said complete whore just sounds a tad harsh."

My statement does not remotely suggest that I think I will get in.

The statement I mildly objected to was that UVA "probably* never even looks past your LSAT/GPA." Even though UVA only WL'ed me at this point, there are plenty of students with significantly better numbers than I who got rejected ED. Therefore, albeit perhaps a limited anecdote, UVA unquestionably does not (always) just look at LSAT/GPA. I only make the point because the suggestion questions, diminishes the integrity of the school, which I don't think is completely fair (not saying that the poster intended to do so, though).

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:33 pm

It's hard to argue with Real Madrid's statements... I just did a quick search for last cycle... All but one of the people that reported being admitted via ED had one, and only one, number above the median. The one that didn't was at median for LSAT.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:51 pm

Thanks to everyone for the replies!

The idea about applying RD and then potentially switching to ED if waitlisted sounds rather appealing if it's feasible. I had no idea that was an option.

I think at this point I'm sorta hoping CCN will waitlist instead of outright reject me so I can potentially use the June LSAT to try and gain some leverage (an idea I've seen tossed around on these forums). I know it's mainly my GPA that's hurting me, but my current LSAT is the culmination of 3 practice tests (of which I averaged 176) so I definitely think I can hit the higher 170s with more preparation.

The potential problem with this idea is June LSAT scores aren't reported until early July; wouldn't most schools require you to commit at some point before then? Also, would it be prudent to note in a LOCI (after being waitlisted of course) that I plan on taking the June LSAT?

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:53 pm

You won't be rejected from NYU.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:05 pm

Crowing wrote:Thanks to everyone for the replies!

The idea about applying RD and then potentially switching to ED if waitlisted sounds rather appealing if it's feasible. I had no idea that was an option.

I think at this point I'm sorta hoping CCN will waitlist instead of outright reject me so I can potentially use the June LSAT to try and gain some leverage (an idea I've seen tossed around on these forums). I know it's mainly my GPA that's hurting me, but my current LSAT is the culmination of 3 practice tests (of which I averaged 176) so I definitely think I can hit the higher 170s with more preparation.

The potential problem with this idea is June LSAT scores aren't reported until early July; wouldn't most schools require you to commit at some point before then? Also, would it be prudent to note in a LOCI (after being waitlisted of course) that I plan on taking the June LSAT?

I think the problem with this plan is that, with exception to Yale, Harvard, and Columbia, you are already at or above the 75th for all schools. Going from a 174 to a 179 really doesn't offer an advantage if your GPA is the issue. With regard to reporting, a 174 is as good as a 180 to any school with an LSAT 75th below 174, and let's be honest, schools are concerned with what they report. Not to mention, what happens if you score below a 174? Sure, you are in the 99th percentile, but it's possible that you get a 172 on your second try as opposed to a 177. The cost/benefit of retaking in June isn't great.

A Swift

Postby A Swift » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:07 pm

ED UVA and don't look back. Fuck the rankings, you are going to get the same BigLaw job from any school in the t14*. Pick a school that you are going to enjoy spending 3 years at. UVA is the shit. You won't want to leave after graduation. And LRW is not graded - enough said.

Do it.

*This assumes that you are not socially retarded or won't shit the bed your 1L year. And by same BigLaw job, I mean you will get the same caliber firm warranted by your grades and interview ability irrespective of the which t14 you are attending.

A Swift

Postby A Swift » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:12 pm

Also: If you ED, they will call you tomorrow with your acceptance. 100%

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:24 am

A Swift wrote:Also: If you ED, they will call you tomorrow with your acceptance. 100%

I concur.

Signed,

UVa 2L who ED'd with nearly identical stats and got my acceptance the next day.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:26 am

A Swift wrote:ED UVA and don't look back. Fuck the rankings, you are going to get the same BigLaw job from any school in the t14*. Pick a school that you are going to enjoy spending 3 years at. UVA is the shit. You won't want to leave after graduation. And LRW is not graded - enough said.

Do it.

*This assumes that you are not socially retarded or won't shit the bed your 1L year. And by same BigLaw job, I mean you will get the same caliber firm warranted by your grades and interview ability irrespective of the which t14 you are attending.

Concur with this as well.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”