What is the deal with mature students?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bp shinners

Re: What is the deal with mature students?

Postby bp shinners » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:35 pm

spleenworship wrote:
Jaeger wrote:
I won't debate the Canadian aspects. But having a letter from a supreme court justice probably wouldn't help you get into law school here. It would just be a great soft. You'd probably still need the numbers.

Debatable. I think political admits happen sometimes, and get hid by people with good numbers.

Most of the time, though, it comes from someone calling up the admissions office. If they write you a LoR, that means that they peripherally know you. If someone has the pull to get you in and actually knows you, they call a dean.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:45 pm

bp shinners wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
Jaeger wrote:
I won't debate the Canadian aspects. But having a letter from a supreme court justice probably wouldn't help you get into law school here. It would just be a great soft. You'd probably still need the numbers.

Debatable. I think political admits happen sometimes, and get hid by people with good numbers.

Most of the time, though, it comes from someone calling up the admissions office. If they write you a LoR, that means that they peripherally know you. If someone has the pull to get you in and actually knows you, they call a dean.

Touche

fosterp

Postby fosterp » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:04 pm

I don't know why you created a forum thread asking for advice, and then tell everyone who offers it that they are wrong and things are different where you live.

ChrisRich

Postby ChrisRich » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:40 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
nramsay wrote:Just wondering if anyone can give me some insight as to the process of applying as a mature student. I'm done of my undergraduate degree in May and have applied for a couple law schools for next year under the regular applicant status. I have a 3.9 GPA but only scored 148 on my LSAT and don't know if I did much better on the February one although a studied really hard for it. For some reason I just struggle with the LSAT even with lots of work and no classes are offered where I live. I will be 25 this summer, just finishing my undergrad now because I also have a degree in marketing which I took first. I noticed that you can apply as a mature student at 26 years old for the school I want to go to. Is it almost assured that you will be accepted as a mature student or will my subpar LSAT still keep me out of school? Also any idea if I can apply as a mature student next year? The application deadline is March 1st but I will be turning 26 over the summer so will technically be 25 when I apply but 26 when the school year starts. Just trying to decide whether or not to pursue a Masters program while I wait if I don't get accepted this year. Thanks for any help.

Law school is not American Idol... there is no age cut off. And, really, 25/26 isn't really "mature". And, no, age in an of itself really does not give you any added benefit when applying.

That is funny, especially considering our youth oriented society. They have youth on their side, but the law doesn't really age.
I am looking to buy textbooks, Please PM me.
Last edited by ChrisRich on Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

USMCMatt

Postby USMCMatt » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:29 pm

nramsay wrote:The problem I am facing is I am out of attempts I think to do the LSAT. My first attempt was a 145, 2nd was a 148 and who knows with the one I just did. I think I read I now would have to wait 2 years to take the test again? So course or no course I have to figure out what my next best move is. I would think mature students would have some advantage would they not? Why would they have the category if it meant nothing?

25 IS NOT "mature student" status. Frankly, that's barely older than the average age at most schools. Who has a category? In my experience, nobody cares how old you are unless those added years were filled with something marketable to a law school. No offense, but those scores are going to shut you down hard and IF your age mattered, it would work against you with respect to those LSAT#s.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:25 pm

USMCMatt wrote:
nramsay wrote:The problem I am facing is I am out of attempts I think to do the LSAT. My first attempt was a 145, 2nd was a 148 and who knows with the one I just did. I think I read I now would have to wait 2 years to take the test again? So course or no course I have to figure out what my next best move is. I would think mature students would have some advantage would they not? Why would they have the category if it meant nothing?

25 IS NOT "mature student" status. Frankly, that's barely older than the average age at most schools. Who has a category? In my experience, nobody cares how old you are unless those added years were filled with something marketable to a law school. No offense, but those scores are going to shut you down hard and IF your age mattered, it would work against you with respect to those LSAT#s.

Way to not read the entire thread before posting.

Perdevise

Postby Perdevise » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:53 pm

I read this thread's title in Jerry Seinfeld's voice.

VegasResident

Postby VegasResident » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:43 pm

nramsay wrote:Just wondering if anyone can give me some insight as to the process of applying as a mature student. I'm done of my undergraduate degree in May and have applied for a couple law schools for next year under the regular applicant status. I have a 3.9 GPA but only scored 148 on my LSAT and don't know if I did much better on the February one although a studied really hard for it. For some reason I just struggle with the LSAT even with lots of work and no classes are offered where I live. I will be 25 this summer, just finishing my undergrad now because I also have a degree in marketing which I took first. I noticed that you can apply as a mature student at 26 years old for the school I want to go to. Is it almost assured that you will be accepted as a mature student or will my subpar LSAT still keep me out of school? Also any idea if I can apply as a mature student next year? The application deadline is March 1st but I will be turning 26 over the summer so will technically be 25 when I apply but 26 when the school year starts. Just trying to decide whether or not to pursue a Masters program while I wait if I don't get accepted this year. Thanks for any help.

Mature student....guess that is in the eyes of the beholder. You are not going to be helped by your age in the least.

I am what is called a mature student. I am 47 years old. I hold two B.S. degrees and a M.S. degree with all three garnering GPAs in the 3.7 to 3.8 range. Prior to wanting to go to law school, my experience included law enforcement information technology, regulatory compliance and audit. My desire is to work in environmental law, more specifically animal law. I take time to volunteer with animal rescues and get involved in the Animal Defense League. Loans do not bother me, nor does "return on investment". I am past that type of worry. I am in it for the passion for the law. It is something I have waited years to finally be able to do.

Are you a mature student where your age will benefit you? Sadly...no.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:42 pm

VegasResident wrote:

Mature student....guess that is in the eyes of the beholder. You are not going to be helped by your age in the least.

I am what is called a mature student. I am 47 years old. I hold two B.S. degrees and a M.S. degree with all three garnering GPAs in the 3.7 to 3.8 range. Prior to wanting to go to law school, my experience included law enforcement information technology, regulatory compliance and audit. My desire is to work in environmental law, more specifically animal law. I take time to volunteer with animal rescues and get involved in the Animal Defense League. Loans do not bother me, nor does "return on investment". I am past that type of worry. I am in it for the passion for the law. It is something I have waited years to finally be able to do.

Are you a mature student where your age will benefit you? Sadly...no.

Way to not only necro this thread, but fail to read all the way through to see how your advice is useless.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”