What is the deal with mature students?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nramsay

What is the deal with mature students?

Postby nramsay » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:48 pm

Just wondering if anyone can give me some insight as to the process of applying as a mature student. I'm done of my undergraduate degree in May and have applied for a couple law schools for next year under the regular applicant status. I have a 3.9 GPA but only scored 148 on my LSAT and don't know if I did much better on the February one although a studied really hard for it. For some reason I just struggle with the LSAT even with lots of work and no classes are offered where I live. I will be 25 this summer, just finishing my undergrad now because I also have a degree in marketing which I took first. I noticed that you can apply as a mature student at 26 years old for the school I want to go to. Is it almost assured that you will be accepted as a mature student or will my subpar LSAT still keep me out of school? Also any idea if I can apply as a mature student next year? The application deadline is March 1st but I will be turning 26 over the summer so will technically be 25 when I apply but 26 when the school year starts. Just trying to decide whether or not to pursue a Masters program while I wait if I don't get accepted this year. Thanks for any help.

gaud

Re: What is the deal with mature students?

Postby gaud » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:50 pm

I don't know much about a 'mature' boost but I doubt it will help you too much.

Have you considered taking an online prep course? There are some stellar prep companies that offer those sorts of things.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:52 pm

nramsay wrote:Just wondering if anyone can give me some insight as to the process of applying as a mature student. I'm done of my undergraduate degree in May and have applied for a couple law schools for next year under the regular applicant status. I have a 3.9 GPA but only scored 148 on my LSAT and don't know if I did much better on the February one although a studied really hard for it. For some reason I just struggle with the LSAT even with lots of work and no classes are offered where I live. I will be 25 this summer, just finishing my undergrad now because I also have a degree in marketing which I took first. I noticed that you can apply as a mature student at 26 years old for the school I want to go to. Is it almost assured that you will be accepted as a mature student or will my subpar LSAT still keep me out of school? Also any idea if I can apply as a mature student next year? The application deadline is March 1st but I will be turning 26 over the summer so will technically be 25 when I apply but 26 when the school year starts. Just trying to decide whether or not to pursue a Masters program while I wait if I don't get accepted this year. Thanks for any help.

Law school is not American Idol... there is no age cut off. And, really, 25/26 isn't really "mature". And, no, age in an of itself really does not give you any added benefit when applying.

Jaeger

Postby Jaeger » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:54 pm

nramsay wrote:Just wondering if anyone can give me some insight as to the process of applying as a mature student. I'm done of my undergraduate degree in May and have applied for a couple law schools for next year under the regular applicant status. I have a 3.9 GPA but only scored 148 on my LSAT and don't know if I did much better on the February one although a studied really hard for it. For some reason I just struggle with the LSAT even with lots of work and no classes are offered where I live. I will be 25 this summer, just finishing my undergrad now because I also have a degree in marketing which I took first. I noticed that you can apply as a mature student at 26 years old for the school I want to go to. Is it almost assured that you will be accepted as a mature student or will my subpar LSAT still keep me out of school? Also any idea if I can apply as a mature student next year? The application deadline is March 1st but I will be turning 26 over the summer so will technically be 25 when I apply but 26 when the school year starts. Just trying to decide whether or not to pursue a Masters program while I wait if I don't get accepted this year. Thanks for any help.

First I've heard of "mature student". As far as I know, they really only care about your numbers. I mean most of Northwestern's class starts around your age. If you had some kind of great extraordinary story maybe that'd help, but your seems pretty standard. Your subpar LSAT will probably keep you out of T1, but your GPA may get you into T2. Also, I would wait until next year. It's too late in the cycle to have good chances. It would just be a waste of app money.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:55 pm

The average age at most schools is around 24-25. Your age will have zero effect on your changes, and that terrible LSAT will absolutely kill you.

nramsay

Postby nramsay » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:55 pm

The problem I am facing is I am out of attempts I think to do the LSAT. My first attempt was a 145, 2nd was a 148 and who knows with the one I just did. I think I read I now would have to wait 2 years to take the test again? So course or no course I have to figure out what my next best move is. I would think mature students would have some advantage would they not? Why would they have the category if it meant nothing?

gaud

Postby gaud » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:58 pm

nramsay wrote:The problem I am facing is I am out of attempts I think to do the LSAT. My first attempt was a 145, 2nd was a 148 and who knows with the one I just did. I think I read I now would have to wait 2 years to take the test again? So course or no course I have to figure out what my next best move is. I would think mature students would have some advantage would they not? Why would they have the category if it meant nothing?

It may mean something.. but age alone won't get you into law school. Maybe get some meaningful work experience.

Jaeger

Postby Jaeger » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:58 pm

nramsay wrote:The problem I am facing is I am out of attempts I think to do the LSAT. My first attempt was a 145, 2nd was a 148 and who knows with the one I just did. I think I read I now would have to wait 2 years to take the test again? So course or no course I have to figure out what my next best move is. I would think mature students would have some advantage would they not? Why would they have the category if it meant nothing?

You should have cancelled if you thought you did terribly. Also, you're not a mature student. You're about average age. Wait till next cycle, and try for T2.

nramsay

Postby nramsay » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:02 pm

Do you think having a masters degree would look good on an application or is it something they could care less about? I want to be positive but I know most people will tell me I have zero chance at getting into law school with that LSAT. Just frustarting that a good GPA that I worked hard for, 3 excellent letters of recommendation, and a good personal statement isn't probably going to be enough due to the stupid LSAT. I have a surpreme court judge who is a graduate of the school calling personally on my behalf but influence can only go so far I know. Just trying to figure out what to do next....

zanda

Postby zanda » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:05 pm

I'd rethink whether law school is for you. The economy is terrible and at any school that will take your LSAT score you'll have to be top 5% to even have a chance at a job.

Signed,

Top 1/3 3L at a T6, still looking for a job

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:07 pm

I don't think the MA will help much, you need a good LSAT number. And from personal experience, I would think twice about spending $$ on an MA (especially if you want law school later). Even if you have to wait a couple years, going in at 27/28 is no problem.

nramsay

Postby nramsay » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:11 pm

I should probably mention that I am Canadian so I know our system is a little different than the American one. I have a few advantages one being they guarantee a certain number of spots for people from my tiny province and as far as it being a good school it has an excellent reputation in this country. The judge is a graduate of that school so I am sure that will help but maybe just wishful thinking on my part. I guess I should hope for a good LSAT, probably have to be in the 150s to be in decent shape.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:24 pm

nramsay wrote:I should probably mention that I am Canadian so I know our system is a little different than the American one. I have a few advantages one being they guarantee a certain number of spots for people from my tiny province and as far as it being a good school it has an excellent reputation in this country. The judge is a graduate of that school so I am sure that will help but maybe just wishful thinking on my part. I guess I should hope for a good LSAT, probably have to be in the 150s to be in decent shape.

Oh well that changes everything. Seriously. All this advice pertains to US law schools, and if that's where you were applying, TCR is not to go with your numbers.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:33 pm

nramsay wrote:I should probably mention that I am Canadian so I know our system is a little different than the American one. I have a few advantages one being they guarantee a certain number of spots for people from my tiny province and as far as it being a good school it has an excellent reputation in this country. The judge is a graduate of that school so I am sure that will help but maybe just wishful thinking on my part. I guess I should hope for a good LSAT, probably have to be in the 150s to be in decent shape.

148, 3.9, in province. You should be fine applying regular, but I would call and ask (they are usually super nice) about it. Everywhere I applied regular I got in, everywhere I applied mature turned me down, but obviously that was only my personal experience.

Ps try lawschools.ca

nramsay

Postby nramsay » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:36 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:

Oh well that changes everything. Seriously. All this advice pertains to US law schools, and if that's where you were applying, TCR is not to go with your numbers.

Sorry, what do you mean by TCR? I appreciate the infromation and support you folks have provided. I know law school can tend to be more competitive for you Americans, hopefully I have a shot. I guess I can't do anything about it and just have to wait and see. I know I would be a good lawyer, just unfortunate about my LSAT being the only thing holding me back. If I get in I think it will be a result of the judge's recommendation. Guess I'd have to buy him a pretty nice steak dinner in that case wouldn't I? :)

nramsay

Postby nramsay » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:39 pm

spleenworship wrote:

148, 3.9, in province. You should be fine applying regular, but I would call and ask (they are usually super nice) about it. Everywhere I applied regular I got in, everywhere I applied mature turned me down, but obviously that was only my personal experience.

Ps try lawschools.ca

Where are you from spleenworship and where did you get in? I called and the lady said 150 is competitive and 155 is about the average accepted applicant for next year. I have looked at that website before and some were posted they got denied with similar or even better stats than mine.

gaud

Postby gaud » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:39 pm

TCR means 'the credited response' or 'the correct response'

suits00

Postby suits00 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:49 pm

You are funny nramsay.

Being 26 years old will not help you get into law school.
Being Canadian will not help you get into law school.
Knowing a supreme court judge will not get you into law school.
Earning a master's degree will not get you into law school.

Pass the f_____g LSAT like everyone else and stop looking for a shorcut.

Speaking of passing the LSAT: You cannot do the same exact thing expecting different results. If you take the LSAT a 4th time, you need to prepare yourself. Enroll in a test prep program and work hard.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:53 pm

suits00 wrote:You are funny nramsay.

U obviously have no idea how applications work for Canadians applying to Canadian schools. There are mature student applications, for instance, and masters degrees are viewed differently there. Also, in both countries I am guessing a LOR from a supreme court justice would help anyone get in.

Also, op stated their province didn't seem to have classes.

Also also- average LSAT scores for accepted applicants in Canada are lower, overall, and a 150 is a good score for a mid-range schools.
Last edited by spleenworship on Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nramsay

Postby nramsay » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:53 pm

Speaking of passing the LSAT: You cannot do the same exact thing expecting different results. If you take the LSAT a 4th time, you need to prepare yourself. Enroll in a test prep program and work hard.

Thanks for the encouragement, you must be a really pleasant person!

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:55 pm

Canadian law schools give more weight to one's GPA than to the LSAT (75%/25% typically). If 150 is competitive, then your 3.9 GPA should make you a likely admit, in my opinion.

suits00

Postby suits00 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:55 pm

I am an idiot.

I thought you were talking about U.S. schools.

Jaeger

Postby Jaeger » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:56 pm

spleenworship wrote:

U obviously have no idea how applications work for Canadians applying to Canadian schools. There are mature student applications, for instance, and masters degrees are viewed differently there. Also, in both countries I am guessing a LOR from a supreme court justice would help anyone get in.

Also, op stated their province didn't seem to have classes.

I won't debate the Canadian aspects. But having a letter from a supreme court justice probably wouldn't help you get into law school here. It would just be a great soft. You'd probably still need the numbers.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:58 pm

Jaeger wrote:
I won't debate the Canadian aspects. But having a letter from a supreme court justice probably wouldn't help you get into law school here. It would just be a great soft. You'd probably still need the numbers.

Debatable. I think political admits happen sometimes, and get hid by people with good numbers.

suits00

Postby suits00 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:02 pm

It can't hurt to apply nramsay. Hopefully your third test was in the 150's.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”