Do you think UCLA would be willing to negotiate in this case Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hellothisisme

Bronze

Do you think UCLA would be willing to negotiate in this case

Post by hellothisisme » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:56 pm

I was offered 90k from UCLA which is shaping up to be one of my top choices as I want to practice in CA. I was also offered 120k from WUSTL. Do you think UCLA would be willing to offer much more than 90k if I tried to negotiate with this? I'm not sure whether UCLA considers itself to be a peer school with Wash U or not. I don't want to come off as annoying to my possible future law school since they've made a good offer already. But that 120k from WUSTL is sort of hard to turn down unless I can get more money elsewhere.

And if they might be willing to negotiate, should I try now or wait till I hear from some more schools? I do still have a number of schools (T14s) to hear back from but if I were admitted I doubt I would receive much money from them.

DaftAndDirect

Bronze

Re: Do you think UCLA would be willing to negotiate in this case

Post by DaftAndDirect » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:58 pm

This is relevant to my interests.

Geetar Man

Silver

Post by Geetar Man » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:06 pm

The general consensus on this issue is that it does not hurt to try.

With that being said, I think it is worth it to bring it up with UCLA. Let them know that you're extremely interested in their school, but that money is a huge component in determining what school you will attend.
Basically, use the 120k as leverage with UCLA. It may or may not work, but it will definitely not work if you don't try.

Good luck!

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:30 am

Geetar Man wrote:The general consensus on this issue is that it does not hurt to try.

With that being said, I think it is worth it to bring it up with UCLA. Let them know that you're extremely interested in their school, but that money is a huge component in determining what school you will attend.
Basically, use the 120k as leverage with UCLA. It may or may not work, but it will definitely not work if you don't try.

Good luck!
Exactly. Its not what you say, its how you say it. Compare the entering class numbers and write an honest, professional and courteous brief explaining why you wish to be considered for more money based on new circumstances. The ones who burn bridges are those who try to blatantly strong-arm the school or come off as extremely arrogant.

Real Madrid

Silver

Post by Real Madrid » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:17 pm

Also relevant to my interests. I got 67,500 from UCLA and 120 from WashU. Think I could up it?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:59 pm

WashUStL is offering you more money so that you won't go to UCLA or higher ranked law schools. St. Louis is not a major legal market, nor is it the target market for many law students. Los Angeles, however, competes in an entirely different market. Although close in USNews rankings, I doubt that UCLA is worried about losing students to WashUStL. UCLA competes with UC-Berkeley, Stanford and probably a few other T12 law schools.

How well does WashUStL place in Southern California ? Answer: Not well.
How well does UCLA place in St. Louis ? Answer: Nobody cares.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:04 pm

OP: To answer your question: Probably not, but it won't hurt to try.

T00L

Silver

Post by T00L » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:10 pm

I know WUSTL is lower in the ranks, but don't forget the COL is going to be roughly TWICE as high in LA (especially in the Westwood area where UCLA sits).

I agree with everyone else. Be honest and humble, but also include COL in the mix because that is a huge factor.

joetheplumber

Bronze

Post by joetheplumber » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:17 pm

Hi guys, i'm new to the scholarship but is the 90K over the 3 years? And if so, what is the GPA stipulation

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Smumps

Bronze

Post by Smumps » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:11 pm

joetheplumber wrote:Hi guys, i'm new to the scholarship but is the 90K over the 3 years? And if so, what is the GPA stipulation
Uhhh, yes, it's over 3 years. They are not going to pay him 45k/year to attend. If only.

tranandy

New

Post by tranandy » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:36 pm

UCLA doesn't consider WUSTL a competitor in terms of cross-admits and WUSTL is lower ranked so I doubt UCLA is going to match a scholarship offer from a lower ranked school in a smaller market.

Now if you had a major USC or Top 10 offer, then you can talk business. Otherwise, a 90K offer is still a fantastic offer.

dproduct

Gold

Post by dproduct » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:28 pm

Probably not, but if you don't ask the answer is always no.

fakehunter

Bronze

Post by fakehunter » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:24 pm

I'm in a similar situation, except I have 60k at UCLA and 114k at WashU. I want to end up in Southern California, but I also have a strong case as to wanting to end up in St. Louis (I go to college at WashU and absolutely love it here.) Does anyone think the fact that I go to WashU for undergrad strengthens my negotiation position? Of course I'll still be respectful and all that, but I was just wondering.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”