UChicago over Harvard?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lsatcrazy

Re: UChicago over Harvard?

Postby lsatcrazy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:37 am

bdubs wrote:
Transferthrowaway wrote:You forgot GLEN WEYL

LOL

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/22/fashi ... lland.html
During the six-hour ride in Ms. Holland's mother's car, called Tallulah

??

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:47 am

lsatcrazy wrote:
bdubs wrote:

LOL

??

This sums it up pretty well.

OP - You will learn from some very smart people, but don't go in expecting some amazing experience where you necessarily connect with your professors.

lsatcrazy

Postby lsatcrazy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:53 am

Transferthrowaway wrote:http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/archive/S18/00/36A09/?section=featured

I'm confused, where is the part about him being a bawse? Oh wait...the entire thing..

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:25 am

bdubs wrote:
lsatcrazy wrote:
bdubs wrote:

LOL

??

This sums it up pretty well.

OP - You will learn from some very smart people, but don't go in expecting some amazing experience where you necessarily connect with your professors.

Anecdotes:

My literally first impression of Chicago law was standing at a reception where regular students and admits were able to attend, and I hear a particular middle aged prof turn to a 2L guy and say and say:

"That is hilarious that you were able to pull that off. We should try that at this bar I know down town later this week. We should all go get some drinks."

I was walking in town, and a particular professor I had only spoken with a couple of times rides by with an alien jump-suit/bike and pulls up next to me, greets me by name, engages in me in a conversation without even taking her facemask off and then drives off again.

One time Dog Baird took us out to his Tennis Club because we asked him to, and told us about how has never learned to drive a car and uses that extra time to walk around listening to books on tape, and other rediculous anecdotes.

Finally, I emailed Richard Epstein about a project I was working on that I really needed imput on, but was probably below him, and got a random call from him (while he at NYU) at Midnight his time on a Sunday night, and talked for an hour and gave me Earth-shattering feedback, interlaced with hilarious anecdotes

Place is pretty much Gene-Wilder-Willy-Wonka for nerdy-law-econ-types.

lsatcrazy

Postby lsatcrazy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:47 am

TaipeiMort wrote:Place is pretty much Gene-Wilder-Willy-Wonka for nerdy-law-econ-types.

I guess Harvard is Johnny-Depp-Willy-Wonka?

pcwcecac

Postby pcwcecac » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:55 am

TaipeiMort wrote:
IAFG wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:First, whoever said that law and economics has no business application is uninformed. If you are already at a good econ level (where you understand the microeconomics underlying price, marketing strategy, and finance, and the macroeconomics underlying the monetary and banking system), then law and econ at Chicago will add some significant elements to your business education when it comes to macro decision making, especially at leadership, policy, and strategy levels.

...so if you're going to go into business as a policymaker? I don't think you know what you are talking about either.

No, but as a business exec you are tasked with negotiating an increasingly unfriendly and regulated operating environment, where understanding repercussive effects which changes in the operating landscape have upon corporate activity is essential. This is even more important in heavily regulated industries where administrative policy is nuanced, and is many times reflective of interest group capture. In these cases, not understanding the economic policy rationales which underlie particular elements of public choice, and adjust strategically may be an absolute death knell to an otherwise healthy company. For example, look at how being anticipatory to changes in national economic policy and beaureacratic action by Goldman enabled them to profiteer within the recession in ways which many of their American and Euro peers were not.

I mean, in the less-free-market system that we are working in at this point, many in academic and professional circles are admitting that Porter's 5 forces analysis for competitive strategy really needs to be upgraded to incorporate a sixth element, government regulation. This contributes to why many CEOs and GCs are currently being expected to negotiate legal policy nuance when directing their company.

So Mort, which would Jeremy Lin pick?

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:51 am

pcwcecac wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:
IAFG wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:First, whoever said that law and economics has no business application is uninformed. If you are already at a good econ level (where you understand the microeconomics underlying price, marketing strategy, and finance, and the macroeconomics underlying the monetary and banking system), then law and econ at Chicago will add some significant elements to your business education when it comes to macro decision making, especially at leadership, policy, and strategy levels.

...so if you're going to go into business as a policymaker? I don't think you know what you are talking about either.

No, but as a business exec you are tasked with negotiating an increasingly unfriendly and regulated operating environment, where understanding repercussive effects which changes in the operating landscape have upon corporate activity is essential. This is even more important in heavily regulated industries where administrative policy is nuanced, and is many times reflective of interest group capture. In these cases, not understanding the economic policy rationales which underlie particular elements of public choice, and adjust strategically may be an absolute death knell to an otherwise healthy company. For example, look at how being anticipatory to changes in national economic policy and beaureacratic action by Goldman enabled them to profiteer within the recession in ways which many of their American and Euro peers were not.

I mean, in the less-free-market system that we are working in at this point, many in academic and professional circles are admitting that Porter's 5 forces analysis for competitive strategy really needs to be upgraded to incorporate a sixth element, government regulation. This contributes to why many CEOs and GCs are currently being expected to negotiate legal policy nuance when directing their company.

So Mort, which would Jeremy Lin pick?

Dude. I don't think I can win a Jeremy Lin argument. Kid is sick.

vincanity1

Postby vincanity1 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:15 pm

Not fortunate enough to be picking between the two, but this thread has been great. The anecdotes and teacher references have been particularly cool

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”