Dismissed Student Wants to Return to LS

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jmunoz8

Dismissed Student Wants to Return to LS

Postby jmunoz8 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:37 pm

I attended law school at SMU in 2005 before been dismissed for academic reasons. I successfully completed my first year. I was immature at the time and didn't even bother to take my finals the second semester of my second year. I received an F in all classes and thus the dismissal for academic reasons.

I'm now more mature and would like to return to law school. Do I have a chance at getting accepted somewhere? I was able to get a letter of recommendation from one of my SMU professors. I earned the highest grade in her class. I also have a strong undergraduate GPA.

Wart

Re: Dismissed Student Wants to Return to LS

Postby Wart » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:28 pm

Hard to know w/o more specifics, like why you didnt show up for finals.

Tobacco Road

Postby Tobacco Road » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:26 pm

I imagine you can get in somewhere but to get in to one that's anywhere near SMU's status you'll have to prove you've matured. Like what have you done since your dismissal?

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:09 pm

Tobacco Road wrote:I imagine you can get in somewhere but to get in to one that's anywhere near SMU's status you'll have to prove you've matured. Like what have you done since your dismissal?

This is exactly the question you'll have to address. The presumption is going to be that you won't be able to handle law school because you didn't handle it the first time through. I'd need clear and convincing evidence that you've changed since then before I would even consider letting you into my hypothetical law school.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:04 pm

Good luck explaining that to employers.

I'd just steer clear of law school if I were you.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:15 pm

You need to find out if you have to return as a transfer or as a new admit. I think the fact that you completed a year might make you a transfer instead of a new student.

splitbrain

Postby splitbrain » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:27 pm

I apologize for the relatively vague reply but I know there was one applicant on TLS/LSN last cycle(?) that had similar circumstances. I believe they got in somewhere, but they had significant trouble at most schools they were applying to. I only noticed them because they were getting rejected from schools that usually auto-admit someone with their numbers, and I wanted to see why.

I think you're facing a huge uphill battle, sorry.

Edit: Username was HereIGoAgain.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/HereIGoAgain/jd

I was wrong in saying they had auto-admit numbers, but they were a decent splitter that had a pretty poor cycle relative to others.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:43 pm

Have you asked SMU to readmit you ? The ABA allows 7 years for one to complete a law degree so your time has expired since you started in 2004 or, possibly, 2003. Not sure whether or not you're eligible to start over as a first year law student, but it seems that you should be allowed to start over under ABA rules, in my opinion. You need to check the ABA rules & then with each law school to which you intend to apply.

P.S. You'll need to retake the LSAT. Your score may be more relevant than a lack of maturity 6 or 7 years ago.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”