Help!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Perstephanie
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:04 pm

Help!

Postby Perstephanie » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:13 pm

I took the February LSAT today to apply to a few schools in the fall. I have my LOR's on record and have filled out the applications, essentially everything is ready. I have a 3.6 GPA. The problem is, I'm pretty sure I just bombed that LSAT. I got thrown off in the LG's then everything else was kind of marred because I got into a messed up thought process. For the 4th and 5th sections I couldn't comprehend anything I was reading, but ESPECIALLY the 5th section. Just nothing was getting through, I was essentially panicking. I didn't even answer half the fifth section, which was RC- generally my best section in practice. This on top of messing up in the LG's probably has me sunk, right? I'm FREAKING out and wondering if I should just cancel my score now.

josh43299
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:29 pm

Re: Help!

Postby josh43299 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:34 pm

Perstephanie wrote:I took the February LSAT today to apply to a few schools in the fall. I have my LOR's on record and have filled out the applications, essentially everything is ready. I have a 3.6 GPA. The problem is, I'm pretty sure I just bombed that LSAT. I got thrown off in the LG's then everything else was kind of marred because I got into a messed up thought process. For the 4th and 5th sections I couldn't comprehend anything I was reading, but ESPECIALLY the 5th section. Just nothing was getting through, I was essentially panicking. I didn't even answer half the fifth section, which was RC- generally my best section in practice. This on top of messing up in the LG's probably has me sunk, right? I'm FREAKING out and wondering if I should just cancel my score now.


I would if I was you. I had the same thing happen when I took it the first time and wish I had cancelled. Would have been really nice to have just a 170 without that 159 from the first time. I think it is clear you know you did poorly and probably miserably so. You will likely end up with something sub 160's. Avoid the temptation to just see what you got hoping it will be okay... it will not be up to your potential and you will retake anyways. You will go in next time much more confident. Get to the point where you can finish the games section missing none or one in about 28 minutes and retake, as you will feel very confident at that point.

josh43299
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:29 pm

Re: Help!

Postby josh43299 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:39 pm

Also, see Ivey's guide to law school admissions. She used to be director of admissions at Chicago, if I remember correctly. She said that she used to look poorly upon people who did not cancel when they knew they did poorly, as there is absolutely no good excuse not to.

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: Help!

Postby Doorkeeper » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:43 pm

Yea, I have to agree. If you know that you did not perform well on test day, you should cancel and retake in June. There's no reason for you to apply with a suboptimal score.

User avatar
NomNom
Posts: 171
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:33 pm

Re: Help!

Postby NomNom » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:25 pm

Cancel

User avatar
furcifer
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:06 pm

Re: Help!

Postby furcifer » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:27 pm

If you have to question it, it's time to cancel.

Remember that is a VERY limited window to do it in, after that the score is on there for 5 years.

jmunoz8
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: Help!

Postby jmunoz8 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:43 pm

I am in the same situation you are in. RC is usually my best section. On one of my practice tests I answered all 27 questions correclty. I have a feeling that I also scored very well today ON THE EXPERIMENTAL SECTION. : (

Unfortunately there seems to be concensus that the real RC was the one with the sandstorms passage. I know I scored poorly on that RC section. I will be cancelling and maybe you should do also.

User avatar
Perstephanie
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:04 pm

Re: Help!

Postby Perstephanie » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:40 pm

I think the sand storm one MIGHT have been the one I didn't answer. I can't even remember the questions from the other section, to be honest!

nsbane
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:35 pm

Re: Help!

Postby nsbane » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:07 pm

I think the answer to your problem is write a more descriptive subject of the thread, so that when we are scanning dozens of topics to read, we have a better idea of what your problem is and have more motivation to read it.

User avatar
Perstephanie
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:04 pm

Re: Help!

Postby Perstephanie » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:41 pm

nsbane wrote:I think the answer to your problem is write a more descriptive subject of the thread, so that when we are scanning dozens of topics to read, we have a better idea of what your problem is and have more motivation to read it.

Well, at the moment I was in a fairly unflattering moment of sheer panic and some crying. Creativity and descriptiveness weren't my main concerns.

nsbane
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:35 pm

Re: Help!

Postby nsbane » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:05 am

Perstephanie wrote:
nsbane wrote:I think the answer to your problem is write a more descriptive subject of the thread, so that when we are scanning dozens of topics to read, we have a better idea of what your problem is and have more motivation to read it.

Well, at the moment I was in a fairly unflattering moment of sheer panic and some crying. Creativity and descriptiveness weren't my main concerns.


Fair enough. I walked out of a testing session right in the middle because the nerves got to me. I was in a large auditorium with a wooden floor; the creak of my steps echoed as I walked to the proctor, told them I was quitting, and then walked out. Truly the walk of shame.

In the next administration I nailed it and got in the 99 percentile. After I took it, I felt ok - certainly didn't feel like I got in the 99 percentile, but I did feel that I gave as good as I could. Cancel and retake is my advice. No biggie. Also, have a beer and go out with friends and relax; the test is over, no reason to cry now.

User avatar
Perstephanie
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:04 pm

Re: Help!

Postby Perstephanie » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:15 am

I would totally be less freaked out about it if it didn't mean waiting a whole year to apply again. Or well, not to APPLY, but to apply for.

User avatar
Perstephanie
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:04 pm

Re: Help!

Postby Perstephanie » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:15 pm

I think I am going to cancel, I'm registered for the June test now, so just need to keep practicing until then! Thanks everyone. :)




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests