Advice for couples applying

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Tobacco Road

Advice for couples applying

Postby Tobacco Road » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:58 pm

Hello, this is my first post. My fiancee and I are applying to law schools and were wondering if there was anyway to increase our chances of getting into the same school outside of aiming low lol. We both have similar GPAs in the 3.4s. I have an LSAT in the high 150s (unimpressive I know), she bombed her first LSAT and is taking it again tomorrow. She has a masters and I have a year of experience working with a law firm. Also, we're both minorities. Combined we've only got feedback from one school so far, a low tier 2 school where I was accepted with a 6k scholarship (the school is very cheap to begin with). Should we email the schools we applied to telling them the situation, email an organization within the schools that targets minorities (if any), or kinda just let things play out? I know it's kind of late in the game but any help would be appreciated. Also, I hope I put this in the right place lol.

Jaeger

Re: Advice for couples applying

Postby Jaeger » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:40 am

Tobacco Road wrote:Hello, this is my first post. My fiancee and I are applying to law schools and were wondering if there was anyway to increase our chances of getting into the same school outside of aiming low lol. We both have similar GPAs in the 3.4s. I have an LSAT in the high 150s (unimpressive I know), she bombed her first LSAT and is taking it again tomorrow. She has a masters and I have a year of experience working with a law firm. Also, we're both minorities. Combined we've only got feedback from one school so far, a low tier 2 school where I was accepted with a 6k scholarship (the school is very cheap to begin with). Should we email the schools we applied to telling them the situation, email an organization within the schools that targets minorities (if any), or kinda just let things play out? I know it's kind of late in the game but any help would be appreciated. Also, I hope I put this in the right place lol.

What schools are you applying to? Also, it's extremely late in the cycle. I would study hard and retake for both of you and apply again next year. With your numbers and URM status, T1 isn't out of the question.

Tobacco Road

Postby Tobacco Road » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:48 am

I'm actually applying to a ton. Michigan, Duke, Penn, Minnesota, Wake Forest all because they've expressed interest and sent me packets and brochures on their diversity etc... (I realize this does not mean much but why not try, right?) and then a bunch of in-state ones (FL), ones in NY and then Alabama.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:53 am

Are both of you African American, Native American, Mexican, or Puerto Rican? If so then you're URM's and get a boost when applying. The info packets you've received mean nothing.

furcifer

Postby furcifer » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:54 am

Seen couples enter together, they tend not to leave together.

Best of luck.

Tobacco Road

Postby Tobacco Road » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:03 am

bk1 wrote:Are both of you African American, Native American, Mexican, or Puerto Rican? If so then you're URM's and get a boost when applying. The info packets you've received mean nothing.

Yeah we definitely get a boost otherwise we wouldn't have seen much love from those schools, regardless of how little, with our very mediocre scores.
Last edited by Tobacco Road on Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tobacco Road

Postby Tobacco Road » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:04 am

furcifer wrote:Seen couples enter together, they tend not to leave together.

Best of luck.

Lol thanks?

furcifer

Postby furcifer » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:15 am

For what it's worth the one married couple I saw are now running their own private practice.
Most the ones just dateing end up acting like it's high school (drama) but engaged......depends on how serious of an engaged I guess. Some people throw the word around too easy I suspect.

I would wait to enroll untill you feel your scores are ok. If you only get in due to URM, realize the curve can't see race or gender at exam time.

You say she "bombed" it. How bad is a "bomb" (130ish)?

Tobacco Road wrote:
furcifer wrote:Seen couples enter together, they tend not to leave together.

Best of luck.

Lol thanks?

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:11 pm

Well you both have time to study for June, and if that is not enough time, there is always October. But start studying now and aim for a high retake in June...however, if her score isn't as high as yours at that point, you both might want to wait and keep practicing for October.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:56 pm

I would also consider applying to schools that are located close to each other, but might have different standards. I know you probably want to attend the same school, but if your LSAT scores end up significantly different, it might be worthwhile for one of you to attend a higher-ranked school located near the other's lower-ranked school. Big cities would be good for this.

Tobacco Road

Postby Tobacco Road » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:17 pm

Thanks for the responses. I hadn't seriously considered waiting a year but it might be the best choice. Need to get those LSAT scores up and would be able to apply much earlier in the cycle.

Tobacco Road

Postby Tobacco Road » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:22 pm

bp shinners wrote:I would also consider applying to schools that are located close to each other, but might have different standards. I know you probably want to attend the same school, but if your LSAT scores end up significantly different, it might be worthwhile for one of you to attend a higher-ranked school located near the other's lower-ranked school. Big cities would be good for this.

Outside of NY, what other places have tier 1 and tier 2 schools relatively close to each other. I know Michigan and Michigan St are like an hour apart, along with the North Carolina schools.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:34 pm

Tobacco Road wrote:
bp shinners wrote:I would also consider applying to schools that are located close to each other, but might have different standards. I know you probably want to attend the same school, but if your LSAT scores end up significantly different, it might be worthwhile for one of you to attend a higher-ranked school located near the other's lower-ranked school. Big cities would be good for this.

Outside of NY, what other places have tier 1 and tier 2 schools relatively close to each other. I know Michigan and Michigan St are like an hour apart, along with the North Carolina schools.

Whatever your respective numbers, based on the sheer volume of law schools in each state and my bad geography, I'd say you could find a number of different ways to do this in OH, FL, and Cali.

landla

Postby landla » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:31 pm

Kabuo wrote:
Tobacco Road wrote:

Whatever your respective numbers, based on the sheer volume of law schools in each state and my bad geography, I'd say you could find a number of different ways to do this in OH, FL, and Cali.

Boston as well - most large cities with a decent number of law schools. I'd say look up schools by geography (of places you'd both be okay living for the rest of your lives) to see which are viable options.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”