Successfully Gotten out of an ED Contract?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
miller1787

Successfully Gotten out of an ED Contract?

Postby miller1787 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:52 pm

Has anyone, in this cycle or a previous one, gotten out of a ED commitment? If so, please PM me. Before someone starts asking why or telling me I am an idiot, please know that this is an extremely extenuating circumstance in which I believe LSAC made a mistake with my application and submitted an ED one instead of a non-bonding one. If you want more info, you can see me earlier posts, but right now I am just looking for anyone who can give me advice on going through this process.

Kabuo

Re: Successfully Gotten out of an ED Contract?

Postby Kabuo » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:55 pm

Wouldn't you rather ask a host of 1Ls whether you even have a contract?

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:56 pm

If you haven't been accepted yet, just ask nicely and say it was an accident. Won't help you get in RD, but most adcomms shouldn't be total dicks about it. A now-banned poster did that with Chicago this cycle.

miller1787

Postby miller1787 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:12 pm

Yeshia90 wrote:If you haven't been accepted yet, just ask nicely and say it was an accident. Won't help you get in RD, but most adcomms shouldn't be total dicks about it. A now-banned poster did that with Chicago this cycle.

Already was accepted. Couldn't view my app after it was transmitted through LSAC and none of the communication with the school indicated I was ED (including the status checker). I had no idea and no reason to think I had submitted an ED app, until I received my acceptance.

I e-mailed the school a brief but detailed letter with evidence that I submitted regular decision (two screenshots from my LSAC account that shows I chose and transmitted regular decision on my end) at the beginning of the week, but I have yet to hear back. I was told my materials were forwarded to the Dean who would make the decision. Really I am wondering how long to give them before I ask for an update.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:06 am

so it's not a school worth going to on ed?

pupperoni

Postby pupperoni » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:13 am

wow sounds like a horrible situation based on your past posts. hope it works out.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:24 pm

While completely speculative until you hear back, this is the type of thing that you should bring to an attorney. You might get anecdotal evidence here, but that's going to be specific to the school at which the other student got out of the ED contract.

I'd personally wait until you hear back from the Dean, and if it doesn't go your way, talk to a lawyer.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”