LOCI Question Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
onefatbovine

New

LOCI Question

Post by onefatbovine » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:42 am

I was recently waitlisted at my top choice school, so I'm writing a LOCI. I want to include some new information that reiterates the area of law I'm most interested in (and one of the school's strengths): IP Law.

I've been out of school for a few years, but just last fall decided to take an introductory intellectual property law course (designed for paralegals) at the local community college. It was only one course, taken in the evening after work. However, I did very well in the class and got an A. Should this be mentioned?

If I were to get a recommendation letter from my teacher, how much weight to you think this would carry? He is a practicing lawyer...

onefatbovine

New

Re: LOCI Question

Post by onefatbovine » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:14 pm

bumpity bump.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

suits00

Bronze

Post by suits00 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:33 pm

onefatbovine wrote:I was recently waitlisted at my top choice school, so I'm writing a LOCI. I want to include some new information that reiterates the area of law I'm most interested in (and one of the school's strengths): IP Law.

I've been out of school for a few years, but just last fall decided to take an introductory intellectual property law course (designed for paralegals) at the local community college. It was only one course, taken in the evening after work. However, I did very well in the class and got an A. Should this be mentioned?

If I were to get a recommendation letter from my teacher, how much weight to you think this would carry? He is a practicing lawyer...
Many law admissions experts suggest having an additional Letter of Recommendation sent once you’re waitlisted and simultaneously sending a Letter of Continued Interest. In the LOCI, you could probably mention something about how successfully completing the IP course helped you to verify your interest in IP law. You could then mention that the school will be receiving a LOR from the professor of the course. It's much more important that the LOR writer attest to your superior academic ability in a course that relates to your area of legal interest rather than the fact that he's an attorney. It's also important that he writes a strong, detailed letter and points out your strengths as they relate to your ability to tackle the difficult law school curriculum, i.e. he can mention a research project or something that showcases your ability. It’s great that he’s an attorney because he hopefully has excellent writing skills and he also knows what the admissions committees are looking for.

onefatbovine

New

Post by onefatbovine » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:48 pm

Thanks for your advice. I was hoping that mentioning the course would show the school that I'm definitely interested in IP law and that I would definitely attend the school if given the opportunity.

I'm going to ask him to send the school a LOR. Do you think it's better if it's sent to the admissions committee via snail mail vs. email? Or, does it not matter?

suits00

Bronze

Post by suits00 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:41 pm

onefatbovine wrote:Thanks for your advice. I was hoping that mentioning the course would show the school that I'm definitely interested in IP law and that I would definitely attend the school if given the opportunity.

I'm going to ask him to send the school a LOR. Do you think it's better if it's sent to the admissions committee via snail mail vs. email? Or, does it not matter?
Sorry--I just saw your question now. He should write it on school letterhead and mail it directly to the law school. You may want to check with them though because they may prefer it to be sent to LSAC (who will update your application with the new letter). And then you can contact them to make sure they received it. However, if you have already maxed out your LORs for that school using LSAC, it has to be mailed directly.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:04 pm

onefatbovine wrote:Thanks for your advice. I was hoping that mentioning the course would show the school that I'm definitely interested in IP law and that I would definitely attend the school if given the opportunity.

Sure, you should include this information in the LOCI. But didn't you already send this transcript to them?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”