Lesser Qualified, Yet Chosen Over Me (?) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Esquire2Be

New

Re: Lesser Qualified, Yet Chosen Over Me (?)

Post by Esquire2Be » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:10 pm

splitbrain wrote:While no one here would argue that GPA and LSAT are the most important factors, your first mistake was thinking your application and its "strength" are entirely based upon those two.

Your second mistake is relying on LSN to tell you everything about those "less qualified" candidates.

You don't know jack about them other than their LSAT and GPA. And even then, welcome to the internet; they might not even be legitimate applicants for all you know.

d.schoenfeld16 pointed out your other possible mistakes...
I realize now what your saying is true. I knew I had to be looking at things the wrong way and I certainly was ignorant on the whole topic.

Esquire2Be

New

Post by Esquire2Be » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:13 pm

PARTY wrote:OP, your snarky deadpan sarcasm is getting to be a bit egregious.
I was being sarcastic in some replies, but to those with the honest advice who helped me realize I need to stop acting so immature and to those who helped educate me on the process, I was sincere.

icedflames

Bronze

Post by icedflames » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:18 pm

Esquire2Be wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:I give this trolling a C+ for effort.
What is trolling?
franklyscarlet wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:I think this is Philosopher King alt

jrthor10

Bronze

Post by jrthor10 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:25 pm

After watching my undergrad school fuck up a win on the hardwood, this threat was absolutely delightful.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:26 pm

jrthor10 wrote:After watching my undergrad school fuck up a win on the hardwood, this threat was absolutely delightful.
:D we are here to entertain.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nkp007

Bronze

Post by nkp007 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:35 pm

Esquire2Be wrote:
splitbrain wrote:While no one here would argue that GPA and LSAT are the most important factors, your first mistake was thinking your application and its "strength" are entirely based upon those two.

Your second mistake is relying on LSN to tell you everything about those "less qualified" candidates.

You don't know jack about them other than their LSAT and GPA. And even then, welcome to the internet; they might not even be legitimate applicants for all you know.

d.schoenfeld16 pointed out your other possible mistakes...
I realize now what your saying is true. I knew I had to be looking at things the wrong way and I certainly was ignorant on the whole topic.
You are very good at taking criticism. Almost too good...some horror movies start like this.

:shock:

nkp007

Bronze

Post by nkp007 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:37 pm

Esquire2Be wrote:Anyone have any advice on how to emotionally deal with getting denied from two of my top choices and then seeing others get accepted with lower LSAT scores and much lower GPAs from significantly lower ranked schools with majors so unchallenging that it’s hard to believe they are even real majors?

I worked really hard in undergrad. in a really difficult major and earned an outstanding GPA and I worked even harder at my success on the LSAT. I don’t know how to handle seeing lesser qualified individuals get chosen over me.

Please do not discuss affirmative action, as it is against top-law-schools.com policy. I am looking for some honest and helpful advice.
As for your initial question, just be thankful you have this first world problem. Read world news each morning; some people have it really bad (Syria).

Esquire2Be

New

Post by Esquire2Be » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:42 pm

[/quote]

You are very good at taking criticism. Almost too good...some horror movies start like this.

:shock:[/quote]

Thanks for not bashing me! I try to put my emotions aside and really listen to what's being said because I definitely don't have all the answers.
Last edited by Esquire2Be on Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Esquire2Be

New

Post by Esquire2Be » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:43 pm

nkp007 wrote:
Esquire2Be wrote:Anyone have any advice on how to emotionally deal with getting denied from two of my top choices and then seeing others get accepted with lower LSAT scores and much lower GPAs from significantly lower ranked schools with majors so unchallenging that it’s hard to believe they are even real majors?

I worked really hard in undergrad. in a really difficult major and earned an outstanding GPA and I worked even harder at my success on the LSAT. I don’t know how to handle seeing lesser qualified individuals get chosen over me.

Please do not discuss affirmative action, as it is against top-law-schools.com policy. I am looking for some honest and helpful advice.
As for your initial question, just be thankful you have this first world problem. Read world news each morning; some people have it really bad (Syria).
I forget things like that sometimes. If my biggest problem is not getting into one of my top choices, I'm pretty lucky I guess.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lovejopd

Silver

Post by lovejopd » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:56 pm

What's your LSAT and GPA?

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:57 pm

lovejopd wrote:What's your LSAT and GPA?
Just stop. It's obviously all bull.

Shooter

Bronze

Post by Shooter » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:10 pm

I've seen better threads get fewer responses. Sometimes teh life just isn't fair.

Esquire2Be

New

Post by Esquire2Be » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:02 am

Providing that information would not really prove anything. It depends on where I've applied to, etc.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Esquire2Be

New

Post by Esquire2Be » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:04 am

InGoodFaith wrote:
It's really not. I came on here infuriated about what I mentioned in my first post and did all I could to keep an open mind and I really did learn a lot.

PARTY

Bronze

Post by PARTY » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:14 am

Esquire2Be wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:
It's really not. I came on here infuriated about what I mentioned in my first post and did all I could to keep an open mind and I really did learn a lot.
+1 for perseverance.

trolls gon' troll.

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:17 am

OP is obviously talking about URMs with worse numbers.

You're wrong, TLS allows discussion about this... its just limited to 1 thread so it doesn't overrun TLS

This should be in there

Scuppers

New

Post by Scuppers » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:19 am

There is a conspiracy here, and I will seek it out.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Esquire2Be

New

Post by Esquire2Be » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:21 am

ThreeRivers wrote:OP is obviously talking about URMs with worse numbers.

You're wrong, TLS allows discussion about this... its just limited to 1 thread so it doesn't overrun TLS

This should be in there
Two quick questions:

What does "OP" mean?

What are your thoughts on the topic?

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:26 am

Esquire2Be wrote:
ThreeRivers wrote:OP is obviously talking about URMs with worse numbers.

This should be in there
Two quick questions:

What does "OP" mean?

What are your thoughts on the topic?
Original Poster of the thread (as in you)

My thoughts are more complicated than "Yes / No." To sum it up quickly I feel AA should be based on SES

If you want to discuss more, bring this thread back from the dead : http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... ffirmative

It is a topic that can be worthy of a debate when handled maturely, but TLS is wise to limit it to one thread (since otherwise the debate would over take a ton of threads)
Last edited by ThreeRivers on Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jaeger

Bronze

Post by Jaeger » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:32 am

Esquire2Be wrote:
Killingly wrote:Just get over it. That's how you deal with it emotionally. If you don't like how your cycle played out, reapply.
Hypothetically speaking: If I applied to your top choice with not only lesser qualifications than you, but with numbers much lower than the lowest numbers of the applicants of the last entering class and I really have displayed nothing that proves I can handle the difficult law school curriculum, and then you got denied and I got accepted because I am a male, would it be easy to just “get over it”? You are right though, there is no other choice than to get over it.

Are you insinuating that men get preferential treatment?

Esquire2Be

New

Post by Esquire2Be » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:43 am

Jaeger wrote:
Esquire2Be wrote:
Killingly wrote:Just get over it. That's how you deal with it emotionally. If you don't like how your cycle played out, reapply.
Hypothetically speaking: If I applied to your top choice with not only lesser qualifications than you, but with numbers much lower than the lowest numbers of the applicants of the last entering class and I really have displayed nothing that proves I can handle the difficult law school curriculum, and then you got denied and I got accepted because I am a male, would it be easy to just “get over it”? You are right though, there is no other choice than to get over it.

No, I was trying to use an example.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nkp007

Bronze

Post by nkp007 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:47 am

Esquire2Be wrote:
Jaeger wrote:
Esquire2Be wrote:

No, I was trying to use an example.
OP, I am an offended man.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:52 am

Esquire2Be wrote:outstanding GPA and I worked even harder at my success on the LSAT.
And yet you're applying to CUNY and Pace? Something tells me your GPA and/or LSAT are not as good as you think they are.

Jaeger

Bronze

Post by Jaeger » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:06 am

bk187 wrote:
Esquire2Be wrote:outstanding GPA and I worked even harder at my success on the LSAT.
And yet you're applying to CUNY and Pace? Something tells me your GPA and/or LSAT are not as good as you think they are.
--ImageRemoved--

Esquire2Be

New

Post by Esquire2Be » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:10 am

bk187 wrote:
I apologize if I wasn't more clear: I never meant that my GPA/LSAT scores were so excellent that they would get me into an Ivy League school. I only meant that they are good for most of the schools I've applied to, i.e., fall well within the 75th percentile. The two schools I was denied from were my far-reaching schools. CUNY & Pace were safety schools. Thankfully I was admitted to a decent school.
Last edited by Esquire2Be on Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”